Your thoughts on bike riding?

Options

Replies

• duckfloats
    duckfloats Posts: 30
    Options
    I'm new to bike riding, albeit I don't go super fast like some speed demons...more of just a moderate pace. What are your thoughts on bike riding and losing weight?

Here's MFP's guess at calories burned during 30 minutes:

150 Walking, 3.0 mph, mod. pace, walking dog
    180 Bicycling, <10 mph, leisure (cycling, biking, bike riding)
    360 Bicycling, 12-14 mph, moderate (cycling, biking, bike riding)
    450 Bicycling, 14-16 mph, vigorous (cycling, biking, bike riding)
  • MsP90X
    MsP90X Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to cycle to work three days per week to start and then five days a week in another week or so (13 miles or 22kms each way - hilly terrain and windy every day)... I am loving it! As far as weightloss due to cycling is concerned, I am not at liberty to say because the past few weeks I have been making bad food choices... but I started really watching again this week. I will let you know - add me if you'd like.
  • KC4800
    KC4800 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I love riding the roads. Lots of great farming areas around where I live. I bike 4-5 times a week, averaging 36 miles everytime I touch the bike. I am attempting my first century this Saturday, and I have 2 more scheduled for later this year.

I started riding in March when I was 205 and am currently at 188.

Obviously, wear a helmet. Carry at least 2 bottles of water. Don't listen to iPod on the road (on the bike path is ok). Get a rear view mirror. Obey all traffic laws, ride with traffic not against it. I am shocked at how many bikers ride opposing traffic. Carry your cell phone and eventually get a small repair kit together so you can at least fix a flat while 20 miles from home, you don't want to have to walk that far home. Forgot to add, get a strap on frame bike pump.
  • jaeysson
    jaeysson Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I love cycling! I would rather ride 100 miles on a bike than run a 5k! Another advantage is that cycling is better for your knees over running. You can definitely burn a lot of calories and have fun at the same time!

That's not necessarily true. Knee injuries are fairly common in cycling because you're not using all the muscles equally like you are while running.
    Ok...in general, there are less injuries cycling than jogging because cycling is low-impact. Also, if the height of your seat is adjusted correctly and you use clips you will be able to use more of the muscles in your legs, but in my opinion clips are more for the advanced rider.
  • scowil03xx
    scowil03xx Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    My knees were hurting too much to run so I started doing a spin class to get a good cardio workout and take the pressure off my knees. After about 3 weeks of spin I dusted off my old mountain bike that I had not been on but maybe twice in the last five years and started riding outside on the road when I couldn't make the spin class. I worked up to 20-25 miles on my mountain bike and friends had been pushing me to "upgrade" to a road bike. I finally upgraded to a used Trek and now ride on average 35 miles every time I get to go out. I love it and get cranky when I can't get out as often as I would like. I would like to reiterate some of the previous points:

Wear a helmet
    Obey the local laws
    Be aware of your surroundings, it's sad but inattentive drivers are a cyclists worst enemy
    Invest in the best bike you can afford and find a local bike shop because they will be the ones that help and guide you.
    Invest in quality gear (shoes, shorts, pedals, and high visibility clothing), it makes a difference.

Good luck and safe riding.
  • mcn79
    mcn79 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I ride really slowly right now, too. <10 mph. In two weeks of biking 9-12 miles a week I've already seen an improvement. I'm getting farther, faster and my current goal is to start riding faster than 10 mph! :) I ride in Chicago on streets with traffic so I ALWAYS wear my helmet and ride with traffic, not against it. I will never be a runner but biking is fun!
  • mjsunshine16
    mjsunshine16 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I enjoy biking but my body is definitely telling me to take it slow. I live in a hilly terrain and riding a bike as a kid on flat land is very different. I pacing myself slowly with a little push to go farther.
  • RiotMTB
    RiotMTB Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Cycling has become my go-to sport, and workout. It is such a great workout, calorie burner, and a good session gives you a great high. I mostly Mountain Bike (mostly XCountry), but I also have a road bike that I use mostly for training for mountain biking. I still play hockey once or twice per week, and resistance train once or twice a week, but I try to get at least 10 hours a week on the bike.
    And unless you crash alot, it is alot easier on the joints than running.

Be careful, as someone above said...leisurely riding is a gateway drug for becoming a speed demon.
  • jaeysson
    Options
    I love riding the roads. Lots of great farming areas around where I live. I bike 4-5 times a week, averaging 36 miles everytime I touch the bike. I am attempting my first century this Saturday, and I have 2 more scheduled for later this year.

Good luck on your centuries! I've done two 100 mile rides. The first ride I "bonked" because I didn't eat enough. The second ride (a month later) I learned my lesson and ate properly and felt great during and after the ride. The key is nutrition and hydration. Make sure you get at least 100-200 calories per hour even if you don't feel hungry, force yourself to eat.
  • NWCyclingBeast
    NWCyclingBeast Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Bike riding is a great way to burn TONS of calories, despite your pace, and riding in varied areas can help motivate you! You will develop a heck of a love for it, I can assure you! I suggest that you get a bike computer. (Cheap ones are just fine, and they can be bought at Walmart for less that 15 or 20 bucks) You can enter all of your info, such as your sex,weight,age, bicycle tire size, etc, and it'll give you an accurate idea of your average speed and calorie burn. You can use this data to plug into MyFitnessPal.
  • NWCyclingBeast
    NWCyclingBeast Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Riding my first Seattle to Portland Classic this weekend! Cross your fingers for DatsunDad2112!
  • DaveRCF
    DaveRCF Posts: 266
    Options
    In addition to all the excellent advice already posted, I would recommend you invest in a good seat and good cycling shorts along with the helmet. Gloves are good at reducing road vibration a bit. As you get more skilled and comfortable on your bike, clip in pedals and cycling shoes are pretty much a must if you want to take it up a notch.

The big negative for cycling is that it can be a time suck. If you enjoy getting out there for hours on end just to be outside, get some exercise and possibly socialize, that is fine. But if you are looking for a quick workout, you need to operate at a pretty high intensity. I use an HRM to monitor the intensity of the workout. Riding flat out for an hour can give you an awesome burn if you really work.
  • jaeysson
    Options
    Riding my first Seattle to Portland Classic this weekend! Cross your fingers for DatsunDad2112!

Fingers crossed for you! Good luck and have fun!
  • pen2u
    pen2u Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I love riding my mtn bike. I'm considering a road bike for increased speed, but the mtn bike is a good workout even on flat paths. When I can't get out to ride I ride the stationary bike and get caught up on Netflix. The first thing I noticed when I started riding regularly was a nice lift to my derriere, lol.

Watch out for drivers of cars who are not looking for bikes. Yesterday I got hit as I headed back to my car after a long ride. The driver was cruising slowly around the perimeter of the parking lot and suddenly decided to back up just as I crossed the road behind him. He sped off, never to be seen again. I'm kind of hoping I left a scratch on his new sedan.
  • KC4800
    KC4800 Posts: 140 Member
    Options

Good luck on your centuries! I've done two 100 mile rides. The first ride I "bonked" because I didn't eat enough. The second ride (a month later) I learned my lesson and ate properly and felt great during and after the ride. The key is nutrition and hydration. Make sure you get at least 100-200 calories per hour.

Thanks. Yes, I have been reading up on nutritional needs and decided to make my own distance food. I parboil potatoes then quarter them and salt them and sprinkle on Kraft Parmesan cheese, then wrap them in tin foil. I think 4 potatoes should work for 100 miles. Plus the clif bar and honey stinger gel packs to add to my water, if needed. I bonked on my first 80 mile ride this spring because I was totally unprepared. But you learn from your mistakes :)
  • Wol5894
    Wol5894 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Biking is great fun - unless, of course it happens to be rather wet! You not only get a workout but you also actually GO somehwere, as opposed to sitting on a stationary bike in a gym. The latter is fine for miserable wet days (plenty of those this year in the UK!) and for high intensity interval training but otherwise I find them boring, plus with a real bike you enjoy fresh air and the sounds around you. if you are near open countryside, there is nothing quite like hearing the birds, which you can't do in a car.

I don't run or jog, as I have a back problem following a car accident 25 years ago but biking is a great way to get exercise and get around. I have bad knees and feet due to osteo-arthritis but I can still ride a bike, even when walking can be painful. Never underestimate the value of a bike but BE SAFE.

Echoing others:
    1. DO obey the rules of the road (e.g. a red light at the traffic lights means Stop, just as much as it does for cars). You can ride on some footpaths and there are cycle routes all over the UK but the rules of the road are the same as for a car except where there are special cycle tracks which may go odd places that a car cannot go - I love my bike ride to work down through a wooded valley next to the river.
    2. Maintain your bike well (e.g. it works more efficiently if the tyres at the proper pressure)
    3. Make sure you are properly visible from twilight onwards by using a proper lighting set AND a reflective jacket (which are dirt cheap and could save your life). Also, on the subject of visibility, remember that if you are in a dark coat at night and you put your arm out to signal, a motorist may not necessarily see your arm out - it is a good idea to have a reflective wrist band on each wrist, so that your arm is visible when you signal. FAiling that, you can buy lights that attach to the back of your hand which show up when you signal.

4. DON'T wear an iPod or other device with earphones whilst you are cycling - you cannot hear things around you properly and there is always the danger that you can get your earphone cables twisted in something. It isn't illegal to do it, but it isn't really very safe either.

5. If you must carry something, put it on the bike, not on you (e.g. if commuting, use panniers or some sort of bike bag - there's lots of cool ones out there, so they don't have to be old fashioned). It's no good wearing a reflective jacket and then putting a backpack over the top of it!

Personally I don't use a helmet - I never have and in fact extensive research has shown that the crucial part that needs to be covered and protected, i.e the temporal area of the skull, is often not protected at all, even by the best helmets, so I have serious doubts about their effectiveness. However, that is my choice but I haven't injured my head in nearly 50 years of cycling without a helmet and I am not going to start wearing one now.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I love cycling! I would rather ride 100 miles on a bike than run a 5k! Another advantage is that cycling is better for your knees over running. You can definitely burn a lot of calories and have fun at the same time!

That's not necessarily true. Knee injuries are fairly common in cycling because you're not using all the muscles equally like you are while running.

Knee injuries in cycling are usually caused by poor seat adjustment or improper technique. If the inside/back of your knee starts hurting, try raising your seat or extending it further back. If the outside/front of your knee starts hurting, lower your seat or bring it forward.

If you are straining your way up hills, SHIFT DOWN - you should really never be pedaling at lower than one stroke/full cycle per second. You'll do your knees in really fast trying to pedal up a steep hill by straining your way up at fewer than 60 strokes a minute.

When in doubt, get a professional fitting done at your local bike shop.

But this should get you started: http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/sport/a/bikefit.htm
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't use a helmet - I never have and in fact extensive research has shown that the crucial part that needs to be covered and protected, i.e the temporal area of the skull, is often not protected at all, even by the best helmets, so I have serious doubts about their effectiveness. However, that is my choice but I haven't injured my head in nearly 50 years of cycling without a helmet and I am not going to start wearing one now.

Your body and your choice.

I have two friends who now own helmets that have been broken in half due to falls - one got sideswiped by a car and lost control and smashed headfirst into a telephone pole, the other had a massive blowout down a steep hill, was thrown over the bars and slammed into a concrete wall. In both cases, the absorption capabilities of the helmet provided two benefits:

1. It protected their respective skulls from being split open, and
    2. It absorbed some of the shock from being transmitted to the neck and other supporting structures, reducing injury in those areas.

The concrete wall accident also resulted in a broken collarbone (he hit the wall at an angle). The telephone pole one was a "walk away" (he had to, because the bike was a twisted pile of write-off and the car had driven off).

Helmet on head before *kitten* on seat. But I hope you remain as lucky as you have been so far. I've certainly never "needed" my helmet, but it's hard to put one on when in the course of having an accident.
  • jaeysson
    Options

Your body and your choice.

I have two friends who now own helmets that have been broken in half due to falls - one got sideswiped by a car and lost control and smashed headfirst into a telephone pole, the other had a massive blowout down a steep hill, was thrown over the bars and slammed into a concrete wall. In both cases, the absorption capabilities of the helmet provided two benefits:

1. It protected their respective skulls from being split open, and
    2. It absorbed some of the shock from being transmitted to the neck and other supporting structures, reducing injury in those areas.

The concrete wall accident also resulted in a broken collarbone (he hit the wall at an angle). The telephone pole one was a "walk away" (he had to, because the bike was a twisted pile of write-off and the car had driven off).

Helmet on head before *kitten* on seat. But I hope you remain as lucky as you have been so far. I've certainly never "needed" my helmet, but it's hard to put one on when in the course of having an accident.

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options

GOOD LUCk!