Scared to death!

Options
I hit my goal weight the end of February and started training for a half marathon. Ran that the beginning of May - beating my goal time by 13 minutes. I've kept up the running by doing 4-5 miles 3 or 4 mornings before work and 7-8 miles one weekend morning. I've lost another couple of pounds but have figured out my rhythm in maintenance. Last weekend I broke a bone in my foot and cracked another one. 6 weeks non-weight bearing. I am so afraid I will regain the weight and lose the progress I have made in my fitness. Ideas?

Replies

• dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I hit my goal weight the end of February and started training for a half marathon. Ran that the beginning of May - beating my goal time by 13 minutes. I've kept up the running by doing 4-5 miles 3 or 4 mornings before work and 7-8 miles one weekend morning. I've lost another couple of pounds but have figured out my rhythm in maintenance. Last weekend I broke a bone in my foot and cracked another one. 6 weeks non-weight bearing. I am so afraid I will regain the weight and lose the progress I have made in my fitness. Ideas?

I would recommend talking to your doctor and / or a physical therapist (have your doc put you in touch with one) to get a better set of ideas. First thought in my mind is swimming or walking in chest deep water if you have access to a pool, but wait 2-3 weeks to allow for the initial healing to take place.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be... make sure your diet is right during this time off. Handle that and you'll be back to it in no time! :)
  • jfcarlson713
    jfcarlson713 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thanks - I don't have access to a pool so swimming is out. I do have a follow up appt with my dr on Friday. Good idea to check with her and get some ideas. I just really don't want to go backwards. And I am watching my food like a hawk!!!
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Keep your diet in check. If you do you won't gain weight.

Do you have access to a stationary bike? I used one when I broke my foot and lost weight. You have to wait until it doesn't hurt you anymore and stop when it starts to hurt or ache.
  • alyosn
    alyosn Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Sorry to read about your broken bone, I hope your recovery is quick and pain free

I think you are so aware of the pitfalls that you will be fine, keeping a good eye on your diet will be the main activity. You might even lose some weight now you have stopped running, I always do if I stop for a few weeks?

It's not that long of a time period to make a massive difference, stay as active as you can, maybe a hand weight work out? Some light house work anything to keep moving.

Good Luck

Aly
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    check with your doctor, but typically cross training is great - if you can't swim, how about elliptical and biking and/or stationary bike. Those are typically acceptable non-impact activities that are allowed but, of course, check with your doctor first.
  • jfcarlson713
    jfcarlson713 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody!!
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I sustained a bad sprain during my half-marathon (limped across the finish line, though) and was unable to run for almost a month. I was careful with my food and yeah, I gained maybe 4-6 pounds, but once I was able to run again it fell right back off.
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I agree with the suggestion to see a physical therapist. I know mine kicked my butt -- I always worked up a sweat. If you explain your recent weight loss and how you're trying to avoid a relapse, they can help you come up with something that will get you the exercise you need while respecting your injury.
    You might also want to adjust your MFP profile to sedentary to help you keep a close eye on your intake.
    Good luck, and I hope your foot heals quickly! You can do this!