Having trouble loosing weight consistently...

Options
I'm exercising 3-4 times a week and eating at or below my daily calorie allowance for the past 2 months. I've only lost 6 pounds. Most of the time I loose a couple of pounds, gain one back and spend the next week getting back to where I started. It's driving me crazy!! Any advise?? Anyone??

Replies

• abbie72003
    abbie72003 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I've been in the same boat as you from the get go. All I can say is stick with it and next thing you know you'll be saying to yourself "Wow, I've lost 20lbs" etc. It's so hard to know other people lose it faster and consistently.

At times I'd find the trick and lose a little more then the last weigh in, and then my body goes back the same routine of being stubborn. LOL! Keep going, you can do this :)
  • nboot1
    nboot1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Same thing happens with me, however I think it is because I am not consistant- I work out hard for 5 days in a row, then I might skip 3 days, then work out for 2 days....so on and so on. Same thing happenes with the way I eat- I will go for days doing well then all of a sudden I am 500 cals over for the day. I think I have been putting to much preassure on my-self and then I just cave :( I am starting to change my mind set, be healthy before anything else (I have feen focused on "be skinny now"). Bottom line- be consistant and you will see results :)
  • dapeloquin
    dapeloquin Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies! Nice to know I'm not alone at this. Thank you for your support and encouragement! I'm sticking with it because I want to be healthy! Thanks again! :) You ladies are AWESOME!!
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Are you doing the 'eat back' plan? I would stop that and/or otherwise reduce calories, if you're unhappy with your rate of loss.
  • hippychickuk
    hippychickuk Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    You might not be eating enough? Check out the Eat More to Weigh Less Group here on mfp. Essentially, if you are working out that regularly and eating below your calorie goal, your body needs more nourishment to increase metabolism. You will actually slow your metabolism if you are not eating enough and your body won't burn calories efficiently.

The group has posts that explain it much better than I can.

Great job on your workouts and eating so far! sounds like you are headed in the right direction and very dedicated! :smile:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Weight loss is NOT linear. You can NOT expect it to be. You didn't get overweight overnight so you also can't expect it to come off over night. I think you will only set yourself up for failure if you expect consistent weight loss. Now if you really want to help fat loss, then start doing heavy weight training (fail at 8-12 reps). And really this is what we are all hoping for as this is what makes you have smaller clothes and a tighter body. It's also possible you are over extending your goal. If you don't have much to lose, then you can't be aiming for 2 lbs a week. Also, not eating some of your exercise calories back can adversely affect you due to your body not getting enough fuel. And lastly, MFP is notorious for higher carbs. I would suggest setting your macro's to 35% carbs, 40% protein and 25% fats. Below is a scale of what you should aim for in terms of weight loss.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.