Lose weight biking for 45 mins?

Options
I've just taken up bike riding to work everyday, it takes me over 20 mins each way. It almost KILLS me on the way back! I'm out of breathe and hardly making it but I keep going. It would be at a moderate pace I would say.

Is this better than walking and with a healthy diet, can I expect to lose weight?

Replies

• IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Is it better than walking? It's a toss up........you burn more calories BUT you are generally working out for shorter periods of time.

You are working your quads a bit more biking than you would be walking, and working those major muscle groups tends to burn calories more efficiently. And of course it's going to get your legs and butt into shape quicker than walking would.
  • benegesserit
    Options
    Since most people drive to work, I would think it's a win-win situation.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    You lose weight by creating a calorie deficit, so who knows?
    Track it along with your food intake and weight.
    We shall see.
  • Jacole18
    Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I say just doing that is AWESOME....:) GJ
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Over time it will get easier and that trip home will be a breeze. That right there is enough reason to keep doing it. Hooray for you!!!
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    You lose weight by creating a calorie deficit, so who knows?
    Track it along with your food intake and weight.
    We shall see.

I agree!
  • bsix3
    bsix3 Posts: 291
    Options
    The rides are gonna get easier but major props to you for taking the initiative to ride your bike to work.
  • gibsy
    gibsy Posts: 112
    Options
    Cycling is great. My bike has been my primary mode of transportation for most of my adult life, and I have to say, I am very proud of my nicely toned legs even if the rest of me is a bit soft. I stopped riding for a couple years when I moved to a new city with scarier roads and my weight gain really flew off the handle at that point. I realized that biking was what had been keeping me in shape before rather than the "naturally quick metabolism" I thought I had but clearly did not. I'm glad I'm getting back on it now. Depending on how long and how intensely you ride it may or may not make an enormous difference right away, but it does make a difference in the long run and you'll feel good doing it. When you've been at it for awhile you will eventually find the huffing and puffing is not so intense, you feel stronger, and it's wonderful. And I have to say, having recently gotten a car, I prefer cycling. It's surprisingly less stressful.