Doctor recommendation sounds crazy...suggestions

Options
13»

Replies

• jwilson80121
    jwilson80121 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    A low carb/low fat diet? So she/he wants you to live off protein and... alcohol?

If this is an actual diet where do I sign up :D
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    A low carb/low fat diet? So she/he wants you to live off protein and... alcohol?

If this is an actual diet where do I sign up :D

keto and lots of vodka. ^^
  • piesbd
    piesbd Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I would see a nutritionist if you can. General practice doctors are just that. Im not being disrespectful to them but they know the basics they are not specialized. What works for some doesn't work for others but I am leery when anyone tells you to cut out a food group. Clean healthy food of all groups is the way to go in my opinion.

Could not agree more! Good luck to you!
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    You can research Atkins, which is not that dissimilar from what your doc is suggesting. The point is to get quickly into ketosis and then maintain the nutritional requirements of that state.

But if you honestly feel that a severely-low-carb diet is NOT in your future, I'd suggest you get another opinion, or at least talk to your doctor about why she specifically recommended a severe-low-carb diet. Is this based on some sort of blood or body composition tests that she specifically called out to justify the need for the diet, or was it a general "this is the best way everyone loses weight" recommendation.

I hate to go against what an actual doctor says lest they have information I don't based on their years of training I don't have and personal knowledge about your specific case I also don't have. Low-carb may be in reaction to some other medical condition you have.

But if this is a generic recommendation she's made, then you should determine what works for you. And that starts with talking to your existing doctor about why she's recommended this, and then you can decide for yourself how you want to proceed.
  • benegesserit
    Options
    I "get" the low carb part but not the low fat. Ten grams of carbs a day is even lower than the starting point for Atkins, if I recall. A lot of people can eat around 50-100 gm carbs/day and lose weight. Some tend more towards the 50, others can go higher.

Also, do you have access to a swimming pool? Sometimes people with joint problems find that swimming, or even just walking in the pool through the shallow water, gives them a mild workout which puts less strain on their bodies.