1/2 marathon training plan

Options
I will be running my 5th 1/2 marathon in November of this year, but still consider myself a pretty novice runner. Its been almost 2 years since my last one and I've never really followed a training plan for any of the others, just kind of did them. I ran my first one all the way through (and was the only one I really trained for) and all the others I have alternated runnign and walking.

Anyhow, I'm curious if people have suggestions on a running/ training program they really liked. I'd like to do some lifting in there too...was doing new rules of lifting for women, but I know thats too intense a program while training for a half.

Basically just curious what running/lifting programs you have done to train before, especially what type of lifting you did and how often, and for the running ones how often you ran and increases mileage. Thanks so much!

Replies

• cushygal
    cushygal Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I would recommend the Hal Higdon novice training plan for your half marathon - I used it for my first and LOVED it!!

Good luck to you!!
  • vicmonster
    vicmonster Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I would recommend the Hal Higdon novice training plan for your half marathon - I used it for my first and LOVED it!!

Good luck to you!!
    I used his program for 10k and loved it, especially how he adds in strength, stretching and cross training. I liked it so much I'm going to use one of his 1/2 programs for a November race.
  • artbkward
    artbkward Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I followed one from Runner's World but I'm having trouble locating it at the moment. I liked it because I only ran 4 days a week rather than 5 or 6.
  • bridies01
    bridies01 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I think the Furman FIRST plan is great if you like to have days for cross training, it's premise is three key running workouts and then three days of cross training or easy running. I've also used Runner's World Smart Coach and had good results. Both free - just google them.
  • pbl1966
    pbl1966 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Also interested as I hope to run my first 1/2 in November also.
  • Lesley2901
    Lesley2901 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Bump to take note of these plans later
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options

Good luck to you!!

I've used this program for the last two half marathons I've done. Good luck!
  • warrenvalley
    warrenvalley Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I used Hal Higdon's plan for my first half last November. I did it, but started late and got in only 11 weeks. Some injuries kept me from cross training and I felt it.

I'm signed up for one in October and I'm going to use one of the plans from CoachJenny.com. This one is 14 weeks, includes cross training and has cutback weeks for the long runs. She has a lot of different plans on her site.

Good luck!
  • Elsieblue
    Elsieblue Posts: 11
    Options
    I would second the recommendation for Hal Higdon's plans - especially if you like to combine your running with other gym work and classes as I do, as the plans include cross training/ stretch and strengthening and allow you to switch around days/ weeks of the training plan to fit around the rest of your life.

Have a look at both the novice and intermediate plans. I'm part way through the intermediate one for my 4th half marathon, but have followed the novice one previously.
  • TheNiff
    TheNiff Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Another endorsement for Hal Higdon's training plans - you can Google it. I've done several HMs and just helped coach my friend through training for her first half, and we used the Higdon novice plan. Hal's never let me down. :) Good luck!
  • dbevisjr
    dbevisjr Posts: 183
    Options

Good luck to you!!

Check out Hal Higdon as cited above. Also Runners World magazine has a plan in the August edition. Good luck to you.
  • cubizzle
    cubizzle Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I would also recommend the Hal Higdon plans. I have used his basic layout for almost all of the 13.1's that I have done. I've altered them to fit my personal needs as far as adding cross training and adjusting long run days and such, but that's always part of it when training.

I've also used the Runner's World personal trainer thing. It will cater more to your needs on a personal level. The most important thing to remember with any training plan is just to run. That's really the key to sucess. Run, run, and run some more.
  • SgtMindy
    SgtMindy Posts: 53
    Options

Good luck to you!!

Thanks for the info, I'm going to start this training plan!!!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I followed one from Runner's World but I'm having trouble locating it at the moment. I liked it because I only ran 4 days a week rather than 5 or 6.

Same here, they seem to have taken down the free ones from their web site.....:huh:
  • Dawnhasajeep
    Dawnhasajeep Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I used Hal Higdon's plan too. Running my first in a few weeks.
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, I had seen the Hal Higdon ones yesterday and actually downloaded it, but wasnt sure if it was a "good" one. Seems to be though

Next question would be then on the two days where its recommended to do strength training, did you have a specific program for that you found helpful? Id rahter not run around the gym willy nilly just picking up weights as I go, but obviously would like to do a strength training program that will support/compliment the running.
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Another Hal Higdon user:). I had very good luck with the Novice one plan this spring. I am using Novice 2 for my October half.
  • kylTKe
    kylTKe Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Might get some flack from all the people who don't run for saying this, but you really don't lift to train for a distance event. Not that there's anything wrong with lifting for other reasons, but don't do it in the expectation that it will improve your running (unless you're completely out of shape, in which case any exercise will improve your cardio).

Otherwise, like a lot of people have mentioned there are plenty of training programs online. If you're having trouble running the whole race I would suggest that you focus hard on your over mileage days. Get your confidence up so you can have a stronger mental game on race day.

Good luck.
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    klyTKe - I should clarify that by saying i want something that supports/complements the running, its probably more that I was looking for something that wont inhibit the running. I assume I don't want to be doing a lot of squats and lunges on my lifting days as it would make me sore for running and my legs are already getting enough of a workout on the running days. I don't expect that strength training would necessarily improve my running outright, but would serve to mix up my workouts and improve my overall fitness (and appearance if I'm being honest). Was just curious what other runners focused on when they had lifting days