all SLIM FAST---RECALLED

Options
Saw this in the news.... for those that drink slim fast!!

(Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

ENGLEWOOD CLIFFS, N.J. (AP) - Unilever PLC's U.S. subsidiary says it has recalled all canned Slim Fast drinks because of the possibility of bacterial contamination that could cause diarrhea, nausea and vomiting.

The company says the probability of serious health problems is remote.

Unilever's U.S. arm, based in Englewood Cliffs, N.J., says the products were sold nationwide. They came in cartons of four, six or 12 steel cans, 11 ounces in size, and they were also sold individually. The recall, issued Thursday, covers all Slim-Fast products in cans, regardless of flavor, best-by date, lot code or UPC number.

The company said it is working to determine the production issue that caused the contamination. It has halted production.

Replies

• Kaileyxoxo
    Kaileyxoxo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    wow i used to drink those, thanks for posting!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Good thing I drink Ensure!
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    Yikes! One more reason to eat REAL, healthy foods rather than shake diets!
  • HeatherBurke
    Options
    I just drank one... YUM!!! I just like them as opposed to drinking a real chocoloate shake plus less calories and some nutrients.. Haven't gotten sick yet.... :drinker:
  • nightangelstars
    nightangelstars Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I just bought a six-pack yesterday . . . I like to grab one on my way out the door when I have class in the mornings, I figure it's easier than attempting (and failing) to get up early enough to eat a real breakfast, and better than skipping breakfast altogether. I wonder if I should be concerned? On the news they said it's 'recalled' but then they said to pitch it and contact the company for a refund. Well, it isn't recalled if they don't want it back, right? Lol. Well in any case, does anyone have contact info for these people? I'm clueless.
  • DeannaJoyxo
    Options
    You could probably look online to find where to contact them :smile:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    To save you the time to look up contact info..the following is from the Slimfast website:

"Unilever Conducts Nationwide Voluntary Recall of Slim-Fast® Ready-to-Drink Products in Cans Due to Possible Health Risk

Englewood Cliffs, NJ, December 3, 2009 – Unilever United States, Inc., in cooperation with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), is conducting a nationwide voluntary recall of all Slim-Fast® ready-to-drink (RTD) products in cans, due to the possibility of contamination with Bacillus cereus, a micro-organism, which may cause diarrhea and possibly nausea and/or vomiting. The probability of serious adverse health consequences is remote.

The products were sold in stores nationwide.

Product Description:

The products are packaged in paperboard cartons and contain four, six or 12 steel cans that are 11 FL OZ (325 mL) each. Individual cans are also sold in certain retail outlets. The recall involves all Slim-Fast® RTD products in cans, regardless of flavor, Best-By date, lot code or UPC number. A listing of all RTD recalled products is attached to this press release.

No other Slim-Fast® products are affected by this recall. No Slim-Fast® powdered shakes, meal bars, or snack bars are affected by this recall.

The recall was initiated after the company conducted quality testing on Slim-Fast® RTD products in cans. Out of an abundance of caution, the company is recalling all RTD products in cans that are currently in distribution centers, on-shelf or in back rooms in retail outlets or in consumers’ homes. The company is in the process of identifying and correcting the production issue, and will resume production and shipment of the product when the issue has been addressed and corrected.

Consumers who have purchased Slim-Fast® RTD products in cans are urged to discard them immediately and contact the company at 1-800-896-9479 for a full refund. The Consumer Services Center is open Monday – Friday, 8:30 AM – 6:00 PM ET. A recorded message is available 24/7."