Restaurants With No Nutrition Facts -- What Do You Do?

Options
We have a couple places here around town that are solely Hays, KS restaurants and not found anywhere else. There is no nutritional info posted online and although I haven't asked them if they have nutrition facts, I really do not think that they do. If in fact they don't have nutrition facts, how do you log it? Or do you even log it?

Replies

• superpapa16
    superpapa16 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Estimate high.
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I try to guess based on other restaurants. It's not going to be perfect, but what else can you do?
  • michellelhartwig
    michellelhartwig Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Estimate high.

YUP
  • Tristis
    Tristis Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Avoid them. :)
  • nmb0717
    nmb0717 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I usually look up similar dishes and go with the highest calorie count that I find, that way I'm overestimating (hopefully!). Like tonight, I'm going out for sushi and there's no nutrition facts for the place I'm going so I searched the database for my sushi rolls and picked the highest one.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Estimate high.

^This. Try to calculate it the best you can, and take that number and add a higher number to it just to be on the safe side. That's what I do if I can't find nutritional information.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I generally pick something similar from a chain restaurant. ALL restaurants use lots of butter and oil, etc. so trying to guestimate the calories based on the ingredients you think are in there versus what actually are is impossible.
  • SammieGetsFit
    SammieGetsFit Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I try to find a recipe online with nutrition facts that looks similar to what I had and like superpapa said, I estimate high.

allrecipes.com is good for this and a few others.
  • ashreynolds09
    ashreynolds09 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    we have a couple of places like that here in Wayne, Ne and I normally do as superpapa said -- estimate high. When I get the salad I break down what was in my salad and always make the portions a little larger when entering than I know that they clearly were. If I get the grilled chicken sandwich - I always log it from McDonalds!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    This is so sad. You only go to crappy chain restaurants and eat their disgusting food because you're afraid to try something good.
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I try to pick similar food items from a larger chain, then tack on ~15% or 200 extra calories, whichever is higher. Worst case you overestimate!
  • WhyeatKachra
    WhyeatKachra Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Estimate high.
  • p_m_g
    p_m_g Posts: 5
    Options
    I search for the type of food. Then I decide whether or not I agree with the nutrition information a MyFitnessPal member has added! Usually I can find something comparable.
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    This is so sad. You only go to crappy chain restaurants and eat their disgusting food because you're afraid to try something good.

maybe she avoids them by cooking more wonderful delicious foods she knows is healthy from her own kitchen?
  • heddylyn
    heddylyn Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Either don't eat there or try to find a similar restaurant with nutritional info and overestimate the calories just to be safe! An extra work-out the day you plan on eating out wouldn't hurt either! Good luck. :)
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of your restaurants so possibly you are from the US? I would always hazard a guess at the calorie content and be on the higher side rather than underestimate. Depending on the type of restaurants they are, I would just try and have the healthiest choice eg a pasta with a simple tomato sauce. Maybe you could always a child's portion? (eg if I am starving and happen to go to Mcdonalds with my girls I might have the children's Happy Meal of fish fingers with the fruit bag instead of the chips and a diet coke.) Most places are great about accommodating special diets now so you can always ask for things such as no butter, dressing on side etc. Drinking lots is always a good way to prevent overeating when out with friends, as long as it's water or diet drinks of course! Of course, you could always challenge the restaurants by emailing their head offices and letting them know that you will not be eating in their restaurants as you prefer to go to places that are open about their nutritional information. Happy eating out!
  • sirabe
    sirabe Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Estimate high.

Better to overestimate than to underestimate
  • shrinkingtam
    shrinkingtam Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I try to disect it and add the ingredients into my recipes, there are two places close to work that I love their salads. Also ask them, many small places I have found have no problem telling you the basics. ie:
    4 oz chicken, 2 of cheese etc...then I add a bit extra because not allways do they weigh stuff
  • JoeSzup
    JoeSzup Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    If I HAVE to go to a restaurant and I know they have no nutritional info, I use a similar dish from a similar type of restaurant. Mostly, I find myself avoiding any food place that doesn't have nutritional info. If they can't be bothered to take the time to do this, then I can't be bothered to eat there.
  • EnergyYesPlease
    Options
    You can Google those nutrition facts based on what you usually order and go from there. MFP can pull up restaurants and their dishes, I would just try typing in food and see what they say...