Anyone else have a problem with Oatmeal not being filling?

Options
Alright, so I've always thought that Oatmeal was supposed to be very filling, but I've noticed that after I eat oatmeal in the mornings it seems that I'm hungrier WAY sooner than I am when I eat other things for breakfast., am I the only one?? Any thoughts?

Replies

• CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Same here. Used to eat it, but now it's a waste of a huge amount of calories and carbs for me. Doesn't give me the bang for the buck. My choice is PROTEIN--a mix of egg beaters, turkey sausage, fat-free feta cheese, and bunch of baby spinach, nuked for 3 minutes. Keeps me happy for hours. And less than 200 calories! Much more filling, and for longer, than oatmeal.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Add some protein and fats, like flax meal and an egg.
  • jephry
    jephry Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I've found that, while initially very satisfying, oatmeal just doesn't last very long for me, either.

What DOES work for me is protein as well. Some days at work, I have a one egg, two egg white omelet with chicken, spinach, tomatoes, mushrooms and green peppers. About 175 calories and lots of filling protein. Keeps me full from about 7:30 to 11:30 for lunch!

When I have oatmeal for breakfast (with blueberries, golden raisins and a few walnuts), I usually eat some almonds around 10:00 to tide me over until lunch. Both are healthy, the omelet just keeps me full longer.
  • prairiewalker
    prairiewalker Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    When I eat oatmeal I have steel cut oats, with cinnamon sprinkled on top (no sugar), frozen 1/4 c. blueberries and 1.4 c. walnuts...the frozen berries are easier to keep on hand and provide a nice mix of coolness to the hot oatmeal...The whole process seems to fill me up because the cook time is longer and I make a production out of sprinkling the berries, cinnamon and walnuts to look pretty on top....

if that's not enough on a particular morning..

I'll eat boiled egg whites on the side for extra chewing and extra protein to hold me over...

I always keep boiled eggs in the fridge and peel the eggs when I want to have a snack or supplement a meal...I toss the yolks out and/or give one to my dog...
  • arianamari3
    arianamari3 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    There is a huge difference between quick oats, and steel cut oats, and the amount of nutrients and protein and general "stuff" in them. Which kind are you using? Those quaker packets (eww) are flavorless and do not fill anyone up. I add protein powder to mine every morning with a handful of almonds on the side. Great and keeps me going until my next meal.
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal + omelet w/ 2 tbsp salsa works wonders for me.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Yup, I love it but it doesn't fill me. I've tried adding stuff to it but lately I just haven't been eating it.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    i add peanut butter and usually have it with a shot of whey protein. it keeps me good for around 3 hours.
  • uzit_13
    uzit_13 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Add some protein and fats, like flax meal and an egg.

I agree. Balance the carbs with protein and fats and it should do the trick.
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I agree. People always say that a bowl of porridge (as we call it in the UK) is a slow release carb that is filling and will keep you going until lunch but I disagree. I am always starving by mid-am if I eat it.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. Without protein, it does the same as plain cereal- which isn't really filling at all.
  • hrtotten
    hrtotten Posts: 26
    Options
    I do steel cut oats and that lasts way longer for me than regular oats. I also add peanut butter or PB2, cinnamon, stevia, and sesame seeds.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    YES. Finally! I hear about how oatmeal fills a lot of people up, and it's completely opposite for me! Cereal, on the other hand, totally fills me.
  • nlawing
    nlawing Posts: 36
    Options
    I put peanut butter in mine and also eat it along side 2 scrambled eggs. Definitely helps keep me full longer.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I eat my oatmeal with 2 eggs in the morning and have no problems.
  • schwest76
    schwest76 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I eat the instant with blueberries, raisins, about a 1/2 cup skim milk and a few chopped walnuts and it holds me for a long time. If I don't add milk then I'll have an egg white for some protein. I love the steel cut but it takes forever and I am not a morning person. :) Hope it helps!
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    first off yes. the suggested serving (half cup) of oatmeal is NOT filling, not enough food or protein or fiber. you can do what i do and add protein powder (i love it in my oats) or add fruit or peanut butter or nuts, or really anything healthy can be added.

23mAiZR.jpg23mAm7.png
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal but it is simply not filling enough for me. I require lots of low-calorie bulk and protein at breakfast, to feel full until lunch.
  • gimedatnow
    gimedatnow Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Try mixing in an egg (as others have said) or soaking your oats in water+yogurt+milk overnight to add some protein and make your oatmeal heartier
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Are you just adding water to it?

I eat oatmeal with almond milk, chia seeds, flax seeds, half a banana and a scoop of peanut butter and I stay full for HOURS