Vacation dilemma! Unsure of which diet path to take!

Options
As of right now I am in between 3 vacations. I just got back from one weekend away and just finally got that vacation weight off. In 1.5 weeks I will be spending the day at the fair (and there are some yummy foods I want to partake in), in 2.5 weeks I will be in Vegas for 5 days, and at the beginning of September I will be going on another weekend trip to San Francisco.

I have gone back and forth between thinking of just maintaining till the end of summer and pushing myself after my vacations are over but I am unsure of that now. I was hoping to be closer to 130 by the time I went away to Las Vegas (I am currently 135). I know that after this vacation I will have an entire month to get that vacation weight off and maybe one or two more pounds after that but that will come off just in time for my San Francisco trip.

I just was wondering if you are in between vacations and you have gotten the weight off, is it smarter to maintain because you are going on another vacation very soon (what is the point of working one's butt off to lose 1-2 lbs if you are going to put that back on plus more on top of it). Or is it better to push yourself, get as low as you can feasibly go in the time you have so that you have less to lose after the vacations are over.

This is probably silly to ask but I have been so unsure of myself lately in regards to my recent progress I feel I need some sort of guidance and reassurance. Thank you for your time!

Replies

• Sarahsarahsarahk
    Sarahsarahsarahk Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I am in the exact same position! Usually I still work hard in between vacations! I find that the more I stay on track before, the easier it is to refocus after the vacation!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    There will always be special events... birthdays, holidays, dinner parties... You can't postpone your weight loss until everything is over.

If you really want to take a break from losing weight, just do it. But I don't understand your point of view when you say "what is the point..." If you lose 2 pounds now and then gain 5, you've only gained a net of 3 pounds. If you maintain now and then gain 5, you've gained 5 pounds.

It's up to you, of course. A few weeks isn't going to make a huge difference in the long run. I just don't see any reason to stop when you're so close to your goal.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    ...is it smarter to maintain because you are going on another vacation very soon (what is the point of working one's butt off to lose 1-2 lbs if you are going to put that back on plus more on top of it). Or is it better to push yourself, get as low as you can feasibly go in the time you have so that you have less to lose after the vacations are over.

Well lets do the math.

If you maintain between the vacations and each vacation you take you gain 2 lbs, then you gain 6 lbs over the summer.

If you stay on track between the vacations and then gain a little on the vacations, then you maintain or maybe even lose a little weight over the summer.

I'd do the 2nd path. However, there is a 3rd path. Stay on track between the vacations, then just plan to maintain during the vacations. There is really no reason you should gain 2 lbs in a week unless you just go crazy. Enjoy the food and your time there, but don't go overboard - sometimes just a taste of something is good enough to let you try something, but that is all yo really wanted. You don't have to completely revert back to overeating just because you are on vacation.

In other words, why change your behavior just because something is going on? Just stick to your plan (don't "push yourself" between or gorge on vacation) and don't overdo it on vacation.
  • HavenIryxia
    HavenIryxia Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    There will always be special events... birthdays, holidays, dinner parties... You can't postpone your weight loss until everything is over.

If you really want to take a break from losing weight, just do it. But I don't understand your point of view when you say "what is the point..." If you lose 2 pounds now and then gain 5, you've only gained a net of 3 pounds. If you maintain now and then gain 5, you've gained 5 pounds.

It's up to you, of course. A few weeks isn't going to make a huge difference in the long run. I just don't see any reason to stop when you're so close to your goal.

I think my mindset is a bit frustrated because I lost so much weight and then went on maintenance and after that I fell off the wagon for 2 months due to stress and emotional eating and gained 5 lbs (still dealing with the stress and doing my best to handle my food intake). So trying to figure out what the best way to go is confusing. I am struggling to eat less calories (since I was on maintenance) and I am having trouble getting used to sticking to a strict diet. Which is why i think I am so conflicted...

However having less to lose even after a vacation seems like a good way to go and I am thinking of working in that direction :)
  • HavenIryxia
    Options
    I am in the exact same position! Usually I still work hard in between vacations! I find that the more I stay on track before, the easier it is to refocus after the vacation!

I think that is what I am going to do. I am just hoping to be able to stick to something, like drastically lower calorie intake, since I just returned from maintenance as well...
  • nickyrobinson
    nickyrobinson Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    What I generally do is switch to "maintenance" during the vacation (i.e. I change my goals to not gain or lose). And at least one day of the vacation I don't log at all - a vacation from the logging (but I still think about my choices and portions).

That way, I don't lose anything, but I don't typically gain anything either. And when I get home, back to the 1 lb/week goal.
  • HavenIryxia
    Options

Well lets do the math.

If you maintain between the vacations and each vacation you take you gain 2 lbs, then you gain 6 lbs over the summer.

If you stay on track between the vacations and then gain a little on the vacations, then you maintain or maybe even lose a little weight over the summer.

I'd do the 2nd path. However, there is a 3rd path. Stay on track between the vacations, then just plan to maintain during the vacations. There is really no reason you should gain 2 lbs in a week unless you just go crazy. Enjoy the food and your time there, but don't go overboard - sometimes just a taste of something is good enough to let you try something, but that is all yo really wanted. You don't have to completely revert back to overeating just because you are on vacation.

In other words, why change your behavior just because something is going on? Just stick to your plan (don't "push yourself" between or gorge on vacation) and don't overdo it on vacation.

That makes a lot of sense and I think that if I can just stay focused and believe in myself and what I have accomplished I can have less to lose when I come back. Thank you for the feedback :)
  • starla5881
    starla5881 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    ...is it smarter to maintain because you are going on another vacation very soon (what is the point of working one's butt off to lose 1-2 lbs if you are going to put that back on plus more on top of it). Or is it better to push yourself, get as low as you can feasibly go in the time you have so that you have less to lose after the vacations are over.

Well lets do the math.

Awesome advice. This is how we learn to live healthy lives and maintain a healthy weight: by learning how to enjoy what the things we like, in moderation. I'm a big fan of sharing treats, especially at places like fairs where there are lots of foods that I want to try. My fiancée and I will split a few small things, rather than each ordering something big.
  • HavenIryxia
    Options
    I think after all of your helpful contributions I have decided to push hard and stick to a plan, enjoy the one day I have next weekend, and get back to it right before my vacation, set my calorie goals to maintain during the vacation (so I hopefully won't have too much of a gain) and then kick butt after my vacation! You all have said to make some progress rather then put a hold on everything (in which case I would have to lose more in the end). Thank you all for your thoughts and helpful words of encouragement. Hopefully I can get to my goals by the end of the Summer! :)
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I went to France recently and just decided to eat what I wanted. And I ate EVERYTHING. I mean, this was a once in a lifetime kind of trip. I wasn't going to diet. I gained 5 pounds in two weeks. I thought I would have gained more, but I didn't account for the increase in activity. I have a sedentary job, so walking around all day every day really kept some of that cheese, butter, bread and wine at bay for me :-)

When I came home and resumed my normal pattern, the weight melted off in less than a month.

Now, that said, having all of that so close together it's probably best to work really hard when you are home and then maintain when on vacation. And, remember, if you have a job like mine you are more likely to be more active on vacation. That's not to say that you should indulge of three rounds of fried butter, but take heart that some will work itself out naturally.

SF is a great place to get a workout in, BTW. Walking those hills is great exercise and the views are spectacular.