Restaurants With No Nutrition Facts -- What Do You Do?

Options

Replies

• tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I generally pick something similar from a chain restaurant. ALL restaurants use lots of butter and oil, etc. so trying to guestimate the calories based on the ingredients you think are in there versus what actually are is impossible.

I try to find a comparable meal from a similar type of restaurant and go with that.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    get plain grilled protein and a salad with dressing on the side.
  • JOEYJACKMOM
    Options
    I usually look up similar dishes and go with the highest calorie count that I find, that way I'm overestimating (hopefully!). Like tonight, I'm going out for sushi and there's no nutrition facts for the place I'm going so I searched the database for my sushi rolls and picked the highest one.

^^^THIS!!^^^
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I typically order a lean meat and steamed veggies if I'm in doubt. Steak and Broc are my go-to's, asked to be made without butter/sauce.
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Ask them if they have it. If they don't, look up as similar as possible dishes for other restaurants. Calorie King is a website that lists foods from all over, even for generic italian, chinese, carnival, etc type places. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • kmjenkins
    kmjenkins Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I will do one of the following:

As mentioned in the thread, I'll pick a similar dish from a chain restaurant and use the highest figure.

Or I will be that person I'm sure waiters/waitresses hate and have them make the food my way and be overly specific. Tell them how you want your food cooked, no butters, oils, cheese--items on the side, or without, whatever way YOU want it, and then enter it in the database according to what the ingredients are. This way I am close to under control of what I'm being served as possible and it is much easier to log the ingredients seperately or to create my own food item and continue to use it over and over if I go to that restaurant alot.

Good luck!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I usually don't log local places. I prefer local restaurants to chains because the food is often fresher and tastier and I just like to support local businesses, but unless I can get a pretty good guesstimate of the calories, I just don't log anything. If it's something simple and I can get a reasonable guess at the the ingredients I might guess.
  • ctw4
    ctw4 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Order things that are baked, steamed, roasted, raw (like salads), rather than fried, sauteed, creamy, breaded, etc. You can ask for healthy modifications such as dressing on the side, or no mayonnaise or cheese. Drink water before so you're not too hungry, avoid the bread basket, and eat mindfully. But don't go to fast food places just because of the calorie counts--those are often pretty inaccurate! Just enjoy a little good restaurant indulgence!
  • Ticktockman
    Options
    I always log it when I eat out. I try to order things that are not too confusing, and don't have a lot of crazy unpronounceable sauces. Then I take my best guess at logging the ingredients and portions. Then I raise it by about 20% because I'm pretty bad at guessing :)
  • MrsSorenson
    MrsSorenson Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Estimate high.

I agree
  • MrsFolk
    MrsFolk Posts: 205
    Options
    The only public place I eat is subway. If I don't know what's in it, I don't eat it.
  • j2tyco
    j2tyco Posts: 42
    Options
    I have done the search for something similar---for example I picked the Buca De Beppo Egg Plant Parm dish on here as my meal for the eggplant parm I had a the mom and pop italian restaurant on date night...and intentionally eat below my numbers due to not knowing "exacts"

I have also built recipes to use and then quick added additional calories to the recipe to cover any "unknown calories" or "estimated high" It really baffles me the number of even chain restaurants that don't have nutritional info on their menu items...not in house and not on their websites...and even smaller mom and pop places with more custom menus could easily calculate their recipes with online programs and provide those to their customers...

I ALSO have been that person that says...make it all separate please---(I had a completely deconstructed Italian sausage sandwich brought to me last week so I could put together what I felt was a proper portion for me...I cut the bun in thirds and only ate 1 piece of it and had them bring extra grilled peppers and onions and I barely used any of the (more then a 1/2 cup) of shredded cheese that they put on the plate and I dipped each bite in the marinara instead of having a big gloppy soaked bun--then I logged the portions just as if I had made it at home
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    aside from what everyone else said, also ask how the dish is prepared, request that it is prepared without sauce, or butter, etc and make informed choices as best you can- grilled instead of fried, salad not french fries, etc.
  • happypath101
    happypath101 Posts: 534
    Options
    I agree with others have said: estimate high, use Calorie King or the database here to find something equavalent (I often reference Applebees as it's loaded fat and calories and will accomplish the "estimate high" idea).

However, I would ALWAYS ask. Call the Head Office and/or leave a message via the contact information online. Let them know you're requesting it; it might help them get the nutritional information posted in time. Also, I've often had someone call me back and tell me, on the side, what they think the healthiest options are. They usually give me great suggestions - often for things that are not technically on the menu.

The servers can be awesome as well. I've had many people say "Well, I have to watch my weight working here, you know. Here's what I have....." and they give me suggestions.

As a rule:

* All sauces on the side
    * Go for water or tea to eliminate drinking your calories
    * If you're having a burger or veggie burger or sandwich, eliminate the bun or eat just half
    * Sidestep anything fried.
    * Don't fall into the veggies only trap - have some good protein or you'll be hungry again soon
    * And treat yourself now and again!

:)
  • tbskipp
    tbskipp Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Ask them if they have it. If they don't, look up as similar as possible dishes for other restaurants. Calorie King is a website that lists foods from all over, even for generic italian, chinese, carnival, etc type places. Good luck! :flowerforyou:

Never heard of Calorie King. Thanks for the info!
    I agree with everyone else here... just guesstimate your food based on other restaurants/MFP info. If i can pick a restaurant ahead of time, i try to find one where I can access their nutritional info now.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Another estimate high here. Most places I avoid because of no info, like Cora's. It's a shame because the food is delicious, but I know whatever I order is going to bust my budget no matter how it's made.
  • jadedzen
    jadedzen Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Some of my favorite places aren't franchises and i still eat there. I estimate either based on ingredients if the dish is simple enough for me to be sure i got them all or, as others have said, base off similar places. I'm not gonna let 200-300 cal keep me from indulging in my fave places since i eat out so rarely. The places i love have a great quality of ingredients and i can't imagine giving them up for huge fast food chains that usually have an inferior quality of food.
  • Fani2003
    Fani2003 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I search for the type of food. Then I decide whether or not I agree with the nutrition information a MyFitnessPal member has added! Usually I can find something comparable.

This
  • jadedzen
    jadedzen Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Another estimate high here. Most places I avoid because of no info, like Cora's. It's a shame because the food is delicious, but I know whatever I order is going to bust my budget no matter how it's made.

aaaah coras! i love that place. but it is expensive. Still a good treat and a million percent better to me than Moxies
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    We go out all the time to local places. For one place, I have created a recipe for the two salads I love there to give me a reasonable estimate. I still go high on my estimate.

But mostly what I do is eat clean for the day, do a little extra on my work out so I have a big buffer to work with too. I try to research the menu ahead of time if I'm not familiar with it. Gives me a good game plan of what might work and I can know if I have enough calories. Knowing a head of time if there are 3 or 4 options, makes it easier when you get there.

start with a side salad with just vinegar or fat free dressing... I put the dressing on the side and dip my fork in it as I eat. This helps get your stomach processing food so you fill fuller when the meal comes. Order the veggie side and ask if it's steamed or how is it cooked. Substitute a non veggie side with a veggie. Watch out for sauces, cheese, etc.

We eat out 3 times a week normally. The goal for 1 lb a week is 3500 calories so adjust another day or two to make up for what you do when eating out. I know on the days we don't eat out I usually have about a 600-700 calorie deficit instead of 500. Makes going out even more guilt free and keeps me on track.