Anyone else have a problem with Oatmeal not being filling?

Options

Replies

• tinytoyjess
    tinytoyjess Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with oatmeal being disgusting. :))
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist advised me to ways eat a protein with my oats. I use old fahioned oats (1/3 c dry + 2/3 c water microwave 90 sec and top with15g of walnuts. Instant packets are out for me because they have additives with gluten.
  • Thad81
    Thad81 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I definitely have that problem with oatmeal. It is good, but seldom filling. I have tried adding it in, but seems to not give me enough time before I am hungry again.
  • rebecca_florida
    rebecca_florida Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I've no idea why, but I've never considered putting peanut butter (or almond butter, etc.) in my oatmeal before. Now I know what I'm having for breakfast tomorrow!
  • momjulia101
    momjulia101 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    This pumpkin oatmeal with peanut butter is the only kind that really keeps me full. Here is the link in case you want to try it!
    I have to put nuts and a little brown sugar in it otherwise to make it filling on it's own:

http://www.notquitenigella.com/2008/02/01/oatmeal-with-pumpkin-or-sweet-potato-from-deceptively-delicious/
  • rachellem86
    rachellem86 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I mixed in a scoop of protein powder with my oatmeal and it does wonders!
  • ctw4
    ctw4 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I find oatmeal really filling, especially when I pair it with healthy fats and proteins. Make sure you're eating rolled oats or steel cut and not the processed instant kinds. Try one of my oatmeal recipes--I promise they will keep you satisfied for the morning! http://barefootbaker.blog.com/recipes/
  • stephanj
    stephanj Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I agree. People always say that a bowl of porridge (as we call it in the UK) is a slow release carb that is filling and will keep you going until lunch but I disagree. I am always starving by mid-am if I eat it.

This is me too!
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i don't think oatmeal is so great. too many carbs!

bacon and eggs is so much more satisfying.
  • Brunchstress
    Options
    I put peanut butter in mine and also eat it along side 2 scrambled eggs. Definitely helps keep me full longer.

LOVE Peanut Butter (and a banana!) in my oatmeal and it makes me totally filled up then!
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I think it's great.
  • placeboaddiction
    placeboaddiction Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    A bowl of oatmeal has 6 grams of protein. Thats not much. Find foods that have higher protein. I start with a shake that has 16 grams. I stay full til' lunch
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I make baked oatmeal and I add protein powder to it. filling, and delicious.
  • Michelle650
    Michelle650 Posts: 218
    Options
    Do you make yours with water or milk?

I make my "porridge" as we call it in Ireland with milk. When cooked, I add a tsp of cinnamon and mix it in! I then top it with fat free vanilla yoghurt and a chopped banana. It usually keeps me full until lunch!

I use to make my porridge with water. When cooked I use to just add a drop of milk and a tsp of sugar. This did not fill me at all! That why I make it the other way instead!
  • txbutterfly69
    txbutterfly69 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I add nuts, fruit, honey, plus almond/coconut milk (yum). I try to make it from whole oats and not let it cook to long as I don't like it mushy. Peanut butter is very delicious in it as well.
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Having oatmeal alone for breakfast is like eating two pieces of toast. It's not complete. Add a link of sausage or a serving of cheese or a hardboiled egg, then you have a balanced meal that will hold you until lunch.

And don't eat that instant oatmeal . . . too many calories for the sugar. I like 20 calorie syrup the best, plus a teaspoon of butter, the fat helps hold you down better.

1/2 cup regular oatmeal makes a generous serving when cooked. I usually add about 70 calories of raisins in there as my fruit. . . .so great. And it's delcious reheated; easy to pack and take to work.

I also like Michelle's idea of cooking it in milk, that sounds very pleasant! There's a little protein in there too!
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I eat mine savory, with
    cup oats
    green onions
    reduced fat cheese
    1/2 cup almond milk
    either tuna,chicken turkey dices
    a few veggies
    and I top it off with light sour cream and 2 poached eggs that ooze goodness

Yummy and filling:-)
  • CrystalFlury
    CrystalFlury Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Try Quaker Oats Steel Cut Oatmeal. It takes longer to make but it's more filling and more nutritional than the instant stuff. I make a batch of it the night before and wait for it to cool then put it in an air tight container to put into the fridge. I do the recipe on the box that says for four servings. I also do half water and half 1% milk. It comes out better tasting than the quick stuff and since it's plain it gives you the option to add whatever flavors/toppings etc you like. I always add cinnamon, a little bit of brown sugar and pecans. Fruit added is tasty as well, I of course only add it if I have it on hand.
  • Chula1967
    Chula1967 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear that I'm not the only one... very good suggestions, I will try some.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    i don't think oatmeal is so great. too many carbs!

bacon and eggs is so much more satisfying.

That is what my husband says, too. But if all I eat is bacon and eggs, I'm hungry again, just as quick as I was with oatmeal.

For me, I have to have carbs and protein to feel satisfied.