Hip Popping during certain exercises..??

Options
leahhugh
leahhugh Posts: 144 Member
When I do exercises like crunches, sit ups, leg raises, scissor kicks, or bicycle crunches my hips pop. Both joints pop pretty loud and they move, but I haven't paid much attention to which way they move. The popping occurs when I get about 6 inches or so from the ground. It doesn't hurt but it is unpleasant. Has this happened to anyone else? What the heck is going on?!

I am 21 years old too..

Replies

• obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I get this in one hip. Don't know what it is sorry, but it sure is annoying!
  • leahhugh
    leahhugh Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    It is very annoying! I am afraid I'm doing damage!
  • akiss4u2tam
    Options
    Please go to the doctor... Anything that has to do with your health and safety is a medical issue..
  • lrfinney
    lrfinney Posts: 1
    Options
    yes, happens to me ALL the time, climbing things or like sitting back into a crunch position. My doctor says it's the bone just riding over the socket - does yours hurt? Mine does
  • nmb0717
    nmb0717 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Same thing happens to me. I don't know what caused it. When I was younger (high school) I used to cheer and dance so I don't know if my joints have weakened from all the pressure I used to put on them or what. It is annoying... I find I can't do leg lifts, bicycle ab work, or anything like that without it feeling like my femur is going to fall out of its socket. Like you said, it doesn't hurt it just feels weird. I don't like it :(
  • SaundraM2009
    SaundraM2009 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    This has been happening to me forever. I always forget to bring it up when I go to the doctor (which is next to never).
  • suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    this happened to me and after one very loud pop i couldn't stand upright! made it to the chiropractor and he said both my hips had popped out! i would see someone before that happens to you (and it might never.. don't mean to induce panic) but i can tell you if it does, it is more painful than childbirth!
  • kayl3igh88
    kayl3igh88 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Yep, during my first 10 or so leg raises/kicks/squats (pretty much every exercise that uses my hips) until I feel more flexible. I always blamed it on the arthritis that runs in my family but I don't know if that really is the cause. If it is or becomes painful go see your GP but if not (like me) I wouldn't really worry.
  • zCarsAndCaloriesz
    Options
    I have the same problem, and have no clue what it is.
    I wold love to know!
  • BlisterLamb
    BlisterLamb Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    It sounds kind of like what mine does. I get it when (don't laugh) I Tango. Or anything where I have to stand with my knees bent and my weight in my hips. It's not dislocating, it is just a tendon catching where the bones are prominent. At least that's what mine was. No pain or impaired movement, just the popping sensation and the sound.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    yes, happens to me ALL the time, climbing things or like sitting back into a crunch position. My doctor says it's the bone just riding over the socket - does yours hurt? Mine does
    Mine might not be that bad, can't speak for op but for me its just a sickening feeling.
  • stephanieb72
    stephanieb72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    My son had this from soccer. It is like somebody already said... a tendon catching on the bone. The tendon can become irritaed and inflamed as it did in my son's case and it does become very painful and required PT. It is from repetitive motion.
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    Mine do the same things, both of them. I don't like it. It doesn't necessarily hurt, but it's kind of gross feeling. Glad to know I'm not alone. Wish there was some way around it, doesn't seem to get better as I warm up either. Edited to add I don't have arthritis, was never really active with sports as a kid or anything , they've just always done it with those particular exercises.
  • amandakev88
    amandakev88 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    BRING THIS THREAD BACK... my hip always clicks and pops when im doing crunches that require slow lifting and returning of the legs!! at least i know it wasnt just me with this prob..
  • Smashley1947
    Options
    I have this on my right hip.

You should not allow your hip to pop, change the movement so that it does not pop. This came from my physio therapist.

Mine is caused in part by a tight IT band. Use a foam roller (a tennis ball or rolling pin will give you the same type of stretch)

You tube for videos or other exercise sites on how to use it.