Craving water?

AmandaJ
AmandaJ Posts: 1,950 Member
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
It seems the more water I drink the more water I want. I drink about 120 oz a day and am floating in water and still want more. I am not sure if this is related to sodium or what. Does anybody else seem like they can't get enough water to drink?

Replies

• I saw on Dr. Oz last week that constant thirst is a symptom of diabetes. Have you gotten your blood checked lately?
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Yes
  • I craved water when I was pregnant... I craved it more all of a sudden and that's when we found out that I was anemic.
  • AmandaJ
    Blood tests are out of the questionsas I have no insurance and don't have the money for a doctor visit. But it is interesting Pawprint that you craved more water when you were anemic because I was so tired all the time and had my iron checked at the health department and it was low.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    It is definitely a big sign of Diabetes...you could go to a free health clinic and they will test your glucose there--it is a standard/simple thing. That is if you have a free health clinic around, which I hope you do! :flowerforyou:
  • AmandaJ
    We live in a very small town. I will see about making an appt soon. Wouldn't there be other signs as well?
  • other signs of diabetes would be frequent urination... drastic drop in weight
  • AmandaJ
    LOL - I wish I had a sudden drop in weight, but alas nope!!! Also no extra trips to the bathroom. Thanks!

It is weird, I don't want water at first but the more I drink the more I want and the better it tastes!
  • That is exactly how I was. The more I drank, the better it tasted and I couldn't get enough. I felt so tired, and really weak at times. I started taking iron pills and with in a day or two I felt 100 times better.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Have you had any blurred vision? Also a hallmark. Here is a link all about it...you can click on the symptoms tab and see if any apply to you. However, don't freak out and think that you definitely have Diabetes. You may just eat really salty food or perhaps your body just likes to have a lot of water. Any doubts, see that doc! :)

http://www.medicinenet.com/diabetes_mellitus/article.htm
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Diabetes can have NO symptoms as well.
    __

Frequent trips to the bathroom
    Unquenchable thirst
    Weight loss (though I've seen lots of diabetics who don't lose weight)
    Weakness and fatigue
    Tingling and numbness in your hands, legs or feet

Other Signs and Symptoms That Can Occur:
    Blurred vision, skin that is dry or itchy, frequent infections or cuts and bruises that take a long time to heal are also signs that something is amiss.

I've also heard dizziness can be a symptom, and also headaches and increased appetite.

__

Symptoms of anemia include:

Fatigue
    Weakness
    Fainting
    Breathlessness
    Heart palpitations (rapid or irregular beating)
    Dizziness
    Headache
    Ringing in the ears (tinnitus)
    Difficulty sleeping
    Difficulty concentrating

Common signs include:

Pale complexion
    The normally red lining of the mouth and eyelids fades in color
    Rapid heartbeat (tachycardia)
    Abnormal menstruation (either absence of periods or increased bleeding)

Other signs depend on the cause of the anemia. These can include spoon-shaped finger nails and toenails in iron-deficiency anemia, mildjaundice in hemolytic anemias, and leg ulcers in sickle cell anemia .
  • ali258
    ali258 Posts: 403
    Walgreens in my area was advertising free diabetes testing. Call a pharmacy and see if they are doing them anytime soon.

Are you working out a lot or being really physically active -- maybe putting up a lot of Christmas decorations or cleaning more than normal to prepare for the holidays? Are you eating more sodium than normal with Thanksgiving and leftovers? Is the heat on in your house? All of these things can kinda dry you out and make you want to drink more water. It never hurts to get a diabetes test, but I think as long as you're not drinking two or three gallons of water a day, you're probably fine. If you're drinking more than that, you can hurt the balance of minerals in your body.
  • AmandaJ
    I am really glad I posted this because 1) I know that my iron is low and that made realize that could be a cause of drinking wtaer and 2) I have a wood stove for heat and this started about the same that we started a fire all day long in the one upstairs and lately we have had a fire in the downstairs one as it in the 20s here .

Thanks and great points! I love MFP because everybody is so helpful and nice!
  • Whether you think you have diabetes or not, blood tests are VERYYYY important. Not knowing your numbers is more dangerous than having bad numbers!
This discussion has been closed.