Working out on the job

Options
I've put in my profile how active I am during the day, which at times is simular to a nurse so I chose that. Now I've been thinking about how easy is it to do an exercise and need to eat more to replace the calories.

So my question is some days at work I'll work in the tool room which is pretty light work or I may be building a scaffold and moving a bunch of material for the scaffold. The material is like pipes ranging from 4 to 10 feet long and can weight up to 15 lbs. I may pass the pipes straight up or through a doorway. I also need to carry bags with couplings for the scaffold and they can weigh 50 lbs+. I can do this type of work all day. I've been trying to figure how to log this exercise but I haven't figured it out. I was helping someone has any insight how to log this type of work as exercise so I don't have a crazy defficit at the end of the day.

Thanks for any help!

Replies

• TurningBackTheHandsOfTime
    Options
    You could wear an HRM and just keep track of calories burned, with that kind of physical labor I'm sure it would be worth it. I'm not sure just wearing a pedometer would do you justice with the lifting and carrying aspect...hope that helps.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    For my old job I used to go out and measure old houses for addition/renovation work. It was a lot of walking, climbing, squatting up and down so I used to log Cleaning, light effort for that. Maybe for what you are doing, Cleaning with moderate effort...or of course there is the option to use the HRM and log it that way as well. I haven't had one during this process so I just use whatever is closest to what I have done.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I get worried about over calculating my work outs and giving myself too much wiggle room. My suggestion if you don't have a HRM is to use the "add a new exercise" option, call it work, and than put it at 120 calories an hour or something, that way it leaves wiggle room for your bodies own BMR.
  • OnTheReg
    OnTheReg Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply's I might get a HRM soon, but for now I'll enter it manually. The other day I just worked my butt off so I though some how I should enter this so my deficit isn't crazy large.

Thanks!