Burning calories and sweating

Options
I always wondered ever since using this site: how accurate is it when it says how much you burnt, and do you HAVE to work up a good sweat to burn calories? Most of the time I don't work up a sweat when I do strength. There are days where I can't give it my all because I'm so tired but I try anyways and do what I can. If I can't do anymore, I listen to my tired sluggish body and stop. I do know I need to try harder and get heavier weights, but I'm working on that.

But I wonder when it says I've burnt off 300 calories, that if it's right or completely off. Is there a way to find out how much you REALLY burnt?

Replies

• hdroddy
    hdroddy Posts: 122
    Options
    Get a Heart Rate Monitor. It will tell you how many calories you burn, and they are probably the most accurate method.
  • TurningBackTheHandsOfTime
    Options
    as far as sweating goes everyone is different some people sweat at the drop of a hat and others really need to work up one, over time it will become clear which camp you are in and most likely you will be somewhere in the middle....
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Get a Heart Rate Monitor. It will tell you how many calories you burn, and they are probably the most accurate method.

Where can I buy one and how much are they do you think? Does it wrap around your wrist?
  • MalSponseller
    MalSponseller Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    There are many different kinds, and they range from cheap ($30ish) to very high end ($400+). I've had a hard time finding any place that sells them in-store, so I purchased mine from Amazon.com. Bought it yesterday, should be here tomorrow.
  • ChcolateLady11
    Options
    I start to sweat after an hr of cardio, I dont really sweat when doing weights.
    I will soon get a HRM so I know for sure how many I am burning.
  • TurningBackTheHandsOfTime
    Options
    Polar, Sportline and Mio are a few of the brands, they should be available in most sports stores or at Best Buy or Walmart.... online is always an option also, I have a Polar that has a chest strap they are must have devices for serious fitness tracking not only for keeping track of calories burned but also as a safety device. Good luck with your search!
  • alexbusnello
    Options
    Polar, Sportline and Mio are a few of the brands, they should be available in most sports stores or at Best Buy or Walmart.... online is always an option also, I have a Polar that has a chest strap they are must have devices for serious fitness tracking not only for keeping track of calories burned but also as a safety device. Good luck with your search!

Thank you!
  • AJayHubs
    AJayHubs Posts: 5
    Options
    I've always heard good things about the Polar brand
  • alexbusnello
    Options
    I've always heard good things about the Polar brand

I seen their prices and they're a bit much for me.... :( most of them are too expensive. The only dirt cheap watch I could find wasn't any of the brand names above or anything. I showed my mom the cheapest of one of the good brands at Best Buy which was 50 bucks, and she basically said no....
  • MalSponseller
    MalSponseller Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    This is the one I just bought: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000A5CEUO/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

It has good reviews, does what I need, and is relatively cheap. It may not be one of the top name brands, but I'm willing to give it a try.
  • alexbusnello
    Options
    This is the one I just bought: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000A5CEUO/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

It has good reviews, does what I need, and is relatively cheap. It may not be one of the top name brands, but I'm willing to give it a try.

My patents hate buying online so I might have to settle for a really cheap one. :/
  • halliedoll
    halliedoll Posts: 171
    Options
    If you have an iphone, ipad or ipod touch, you can get a free app from the fitness section of the app store that is a heart rate monitor. Also, you can go to this website and determine calories burned. Calories burned arent determined by sweat but by heart rate. Go to this website, it is what I use:

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx
  • 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Options

My patents hate buying online so I might have to settle for a really cheap one. :/

Wait, your parents hate saving money? hehe

I would go Polar. If it's too much than I would save up for it. I find the ones with a chest strap to be more accurate and it really helps when eating exercise calories back
  • alexbusnello
    Options

Wait, your parents hate saving money? hehe

I would go Polar. If it's too much than I would save up for it. I find the ones with a chest strap to be more accurate and it really helps when eating exercise calories back

They don't trust online shopping but sometimes my Dad is ok with doing it .
  • MzMandi1025
    MzMandi1025 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    My husband bought me a New Balance HRM from one of the local sporting good stores. I think it cost him somewhere around 50 -65 dollars. Not sure. But It works really well. It has a chest strap that I barely notice & a watch that has different settings. I've noticed that when I'm doing cardio on the treadmill or eliptical, the HRM will sync up with the machine. So I can keep track of my heart rate without having to constantly look at my watch.
  • alexbusnello
    Options
    My husband bought me a New Balance HRM from one of the local sporting good stores. I think it cost him somewhere around 50 -65 dollars. Not sure. But It works really well. It has a chest strap that I barely notice & a watch that has different settings. I've noticed that when I'm doing cardio on the treadmill or eliptical, the HRM will sync up with the machine. So I can keep track of my heart rate without having to constantly look at my watch.

That'd be nice to have...
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but heart rate monitors generally don't work for strength training, they are meant for cardio. I have seen some people suggest that there may be ones that can be used for strength training but I would be sure before shelling out that kind of money.

As for sweating - it is not an indicator of a good workout. Some people sweat (like me) with very minimal effort. Others can do intense workouts and not break a sweat. It doesn't really factor into calories burned.

Edited to clarify - by "won't work" I am referring to accurate calorie estimates for strength training. There are other uses for hRMs in strength training.
    Here is an article that explains
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/community/ask_the_experts.asp?q=75
  • babycook
    babycook Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Check out sport check. That's where I got mine. I'd suggest you get one with a chest strap. They're more accurate. MFP gives me too high of a burn for my exercise compared to my HRM.