weight loss

Options
good carb, bad carb......cardio vs. weight training. calorie in vs calorie out. i have heard it all. what i do understand is a pound of body fat is about 3500 calories. so why is it that with given caloric deficit, weight dont just roll off? especially for those like me who do cardio and weights. i run 3-5 hrs a week and lift 4-6 days a week. but i hit plateaus that are difficult to overcome. is it in nutrition? cuz im working at it hard. i know i spent 10 yrs getting fat, but the first 60 lbs came off pretty easy with diet change...so why is the last 40lbs so tough to loose?

Replies

• miamimanni
    miamimanni Posts: 23
    Options
    I run into plateaus basically with every 10 lbs lost. Basically I look at it as a hump in the road. Part of it is stress I think. The hormone Cortisol can really interfere with weight loss. Plus your also lifting weights, so give yourself some credit your probably building muscle.

Basically when I run into these I do something extreme for a day or two, then I just got back to what was working for me before. So when I say extreme I'll change my exercise and I'll change what I eat for the day.

I'll usually do the stair master for my cardio, favorite exercise. But my extreme is to wear a 40 lbs vest that the gym has lying on the floor and do my stair master wearing that anywhere from just 10-30 mins.

For my eating I'll cut my calories really low for the day, and I'll avoid carbs all together to avoid any insulin spike which could also interfere with weight loss / strength gain.
    1000 calories sounds hard, but I'll have a the following

-breakfast 1 > protein shake
    -breakfast 2 > 6 eggs
    -Lunch 1 > Stir fry vegetable with asparagusblend, Grilled ribeye steak (4 oz, half of what you'd normally eat)
    -Lunch 2 > 2 vegan meatless burger
    -Dinner > vegetable blend / asapargaus / chicken 8oz
    -Post workout meal > 6 eggs

(no sauces, no juices, I do add oil to what I cook)

Splitting it up to 6 meals is not necessary at all, but I'm just demonstrating that what I have above is a lot of food, so you won't really feel like your starving if you eat 1000 calories for a day or two.

So that's my advice. Do something extreme to get over your plateau, it works for me!

Manni