Random decorating help needed!

Options
iheartmarshall
iheartmarshall Posts: 39 Member
Totally random, I know, but I have a design issue and would appreciate some opinions :)

I'm currently renting an apartment and have decided to paint but can't figure out what to do in my living room. It opens into the dining room, which flows into the kitchen and I want a neutral color as a base. I'm thinking a rich tan/brown on the walls then popping at least one wall with a fun color, maybe a purple/red wine hue. Problem is, my couch is this blah tan and I don't know how to decorate around it to still make everything flow and look good. As you'll see in the pics, I initially thought about the wall behind my TV being the accent wall but that means my couch will probably blend in if I do a tan on the rest of the walls. I've listed a couple pics below. Any thoughts?

Pics were taken during Christmas, shortly after I moved in. Those hideous yellow curtains are GONE and I now have pretty red ones in their place. Ick.

2mwiii1.jpg

1588eb8.jpg

Replies

• fieryred0424
    fieryred0424 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have that couch too! I would make the wall behind the couch your accent wall that way your couch stands out!
  • iheartmarshall
    Options
    You think a wine-y color would look good with the artwork? It's not like I can't change it; I did it myself and it turned out quite differently than I envisioned... as in, a slight disaster haha

That couch is soooo comfy but I'm having a hard time pairing it with a color :/
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    id go with a rich yellow.. will compliment all that is in the room
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I think you should do the walll behind the couch as the accent wall as well. It's the only thing that will keep the couch from disappearing. What about using a deep, saturated blue/green (sort of like the one in your artwork)?
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    I would go with a wine/red color for flow, but yellow would 'pop' more.
  • minimaggie
    minimaggie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    go to www.valsparpaint.com. You can upload your picutres and try different paint colors using the virtual painter.
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    You could also get a slip cover for the couch in a different color if you wanted to use a different wall as an accent wall.
  • NajahDaMuslimah
    Options
    Earthtone colors sounds good...
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Can I have that chair? I want to stare at it when I trip balls on LSD...
  • RoboLikes
    RoboLikes Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I agree, slip covers for the couch will give you more of a range.

Also, don't discount fun, vibrant colors like purple, yellow, teal, raspberry, light blue, deep orange, aqua, light grey, maple, etc.

The right color combo can add the appearence of space and will make your space pop!
  • iheartmarshall
    Options

hahahahaha, part of the stripes are velvet too so that would only add to the fun! It's way cuter in person :)
  • iheartmarshall
    Options
    I think you should do the walll behind the couch as the accent wall as well. It's the only thing that will keep the couch from disappearing. What about using a deep, saturated blue/green (sort of like the one in your artwork)?

I hadn't thought of a saturated shade like that.. I just kept getting stuck on purples and reds, but I like the idea! I'll explore that option for sure.
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options

hahahahaha, part of the stripes are velvet too so that would only add to the fun! It's way cuter in person :)

I would drape myself in velvet, if it was socially acceptable.
  • AmyB69
    AmyB69 Posts: 117
    Options
    Definitely make the wall where the couch is your accent wall. Slipcovers are great and pretty reasonable if you don't care for the couch, some throw pillows on it, all set! I love decorating! Good luck!