Water Retention

Options
Hi All,

I keep hearing about certain products that can affect water retention. What are the best ways to combat water retention without having to literally listen to a dripping tap for my whole day. Do I need to eat certain foods, or even drink certain drinks?

Any help would be great!

Thanks

James

Replies

• Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it..............
  • jdowns51660
    jdowns51660 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Just let nature take its course...ok thanks :)
  • slim104
    slim104 Posts: 160
    Options
    watch your salt intake. I find if i have too much salt i put on weight. Only water weight i know but still discouraging when i weigh in the morning.
  • jdowns51660
    Options
    ok great. Thanks for that. Loving the quick responses on here. :)
  • JRO2685
    JRO2685 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Drink water.
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water. I add a slice of lemon to mine because I'm not a big water drinker. Also, watch how much sodium is in the foods you eat and try to lay off the salt shaker. It's one of the toughest things for me! Good luck!
  • abnerner
    abnerner Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    lots of water and low sodium!
  • LizV32
    LizV32 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I drink peppermint tea to help me!
  • alicepearsons
    Options
    Try different teas. Fennel tea especially. Asparagus and grapefruit are also natural diuretics
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Monitor your salt and drink enough water. Salt causes water retention. Water flushes out excess water.
  • iloso
    iloso Posts: 156
    Options
    How I cope with it is, Low sodium and alot of water, I usually consume about 8-10 cups of water ( I drink nothing but water).
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    - Drink plenty of water. Counter-intuitive, but not drinking enough water will cause the body to need to retain it. Use urine color, not made-up numbers, to determine if you are drinking enough. Urine should be pale yellow in color, water-like in texture, and transparent. Any darker, thicker, or cloudier and you need to drink more. If it's perfectly clear, you can probably safely cut back on water a bit, but you aren't hurting yourself by overdrinking a little bit of it.

- Stick to approximately MFP's goals on sodium and potassium. Try to meet them, but not to exceed them. Sodium in particular will cause the body to retain fluid attempting to get rid of excess amounts of it.
  • misao1994
    misao1994 Posts: 78
    Options
    Pretty much the only sure fire way is to be drinking 64oz of water minimum. If you want to jump start it I recommend doing Jillian Michaels water detox, it's just cranberry juice, lemon juice, dandelion root tea and water. But eat less salt, salt makes you retain water. And I don't just mean salt you put on your food, but the salt in soups, chicken, pastas. All of that will make you retain more water.
  • roscoe5459
    roscoe5459 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Agree with others on drinking water. I am SUPER sensitive to water gain so I try to drink a minimum of 3L of water daily. I also:
    - cut caffeine to a minimum
    - add lemon to water, it is a natural diuretic
    - cut the simple carbs - it causes me to retain and bloat
    - cut the alcohol, esp beer or wine
    - eat high protein - the body has to use water to break down proteins (process called hydrolysis ) so it actually helps pull it out of your cells and flush water
  • jdowns51660
    Options
    Thank you all for your helpful facts! Much appreciated! :)