Is anyone here from the UK?

Options
I've been doing this for about two weeks and love the recipe ideas on here but keep hitting a wall when I come across ingredients we don't have over here, or things I've just plain never heard of!

Am I just being really thick?

I'll just go and find you some examples.....

Replies

• Abbz2011
    Abbz2011 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm from the UK, add? :)
  • kimkooks
    kimkooks Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm from the UK ..but live in the states. I was testing out the barcode scanner and was really impressed it recognised my Marmite jar I brought over from home. Does it not have many British foods in its system then?
  • crafty30
    crafty30 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I'm from the UK! I know what you mean about the food..I'm really gutted we don't get Squash spaghetti over here, looks like a great alternative to pasta!
  • Abbz2011
    Abbz2011 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Squash spaghetti sounds amazing!
  • Mollyanna79
    Options
    Hi. Sorry! I was distracted by my throwing up 3 year old and now my bed has broken, jeez!

Anyway, I've found some examples from the recipes section...

Ranch Dressing ?

Fat free mozzarella - Can only find low fat
    Fat free ricotta - same as above
    Apple sauce (used instead of sugar) - I see this all the time on here. Do they buy it in jars? Or make it themselves? Seems a real faff to be cutting up, peeling and boiling...
    Egg beaters? What?
    Turkey Pepperoni - I have searched high and low for this to no avail...

There are loads more I keep stumbling over.

Annoying when I find a recipe I want to have a go at!
  • Mollyanna79
    Options
    The actual system is fine for British foods. It's just the recipe section I'm having trouble with. There are so many lovely ideas.
  • seddy1971
    seddy1971 Posts: 2
    Options
    hi there yeah i,m also from the uk wigan area im finding the site ok for logs its good. lost 6 pound in 3 weeks ,got a dietition she says just eating 2 slices of wholemeal toast with butter as soon as you get up helps increase your metabolism for the day un beliveable its worked for me thats with no exercise untill starting thegym on 5/7/12 3 sessions later another pound went mega
  • cestlafete
    cestlafete Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Stopping by to give a recipe for ranch dressing, cheers!

RANCH SALAD DRESSING

1 c. mayonnaise
    1 c. buttermilk
    1 tsp. parsley flakes
    1 tsp. garlic salt
    1/4 tsp. Accent
    1/8 tsp. pepper

Mix together and serve. Dry onion flakes may be added if desired.

Egg Beaters are nothing but egg whites, but if you really want processed egg product, try eggnation.co.uk for a similar substitute.

Apple sauce should be with the canned fruits at the supermarket if they have it, generally sold jarred and unrefrigerated. If they don't have it, there's also http://www.americansoda.co.uk/uk/American-Soda/Home/Food/American-Sauces-+-Dressings/Mott's-Apple-sauce-24-OZ-(680g).aspx which incidentally also carries the dressing. You can always DIY too, same as the dressing.
  • Mollyanna79
    Options
    Thanks for that.

Erm.. What's Accent?
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Lots of people on here from the UK
  • cestlafete
    Options
    Accent is also known as MSG (monosodium glutamate) or the stuff that makes Chinese take away taste better, haha!
  • Mollyanna79
    Options
    Wow! LOVE that website!
  • Mollyanna79
    Options
    I didn't know you could buy that stuff. Aren't we all trying to avoid it? I assumed it was food of the devil!
  • Goaskyourmother
    Goaskyourmother Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am in the UK. I have never looked at the recipes on here. You can add me if you want meal inspirations.
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    *Waves hand* Another Brit here

Regarding apple sauce, I was getting mine from Tesco. However its full of sugar

So now I don't bother using it in recipes, unless I can find a sugar free version!
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I'm from the UK (:
    I don't really tend to look at many recipes on here though. ^^
  • jemimasmum
    jemimasmum Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Also from Uk. Scanner app on phone is pretty good but struggling to translate the measurement "cup" . Can't see how it relates to something like cauliflower - it jst produces an unpleasant image in my mind! So colleagues in fatbusting... what's a cup???
  • cestlafete
    Options
    There was a claim a while back that it was, but really it's not worse than normal salt. There was a fright going around about it in Chinese causing migraines or some such that has persisted as an urban legend, but it's in so many other foods that you never question (anything with seasoning, like pot noodle) that don't make you ill in the slightest! Just moderation as always with sodium!
  • casperuk
    casperuk Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    If you find something that you are unsure of you can use google which is kind of a big database of facts and links to websites which can explain what ranch dressing or scallions or other things are. :) I know it sounds like I am being facetious but its nicer than saying yes you are being thick :)
  • Mollyanna79
    Options
    Ah right! Very good to know. Cheers mate. That website's making me hungry....