Diet Soda

Options
Hi everyone! I am new to MFP but I am not new to dieting. I am hoping that MFP can help me create a new lifestyle rather than a diet. That leads me to my question, Diet soda is something that helps me control my hunger. It is satisfing to me. What are your thoughts on drinking diet soda??

Replies

• caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i love it, and drink at least one everyday. pepsi max! woo.
    i also like true lemon, crystal light, and aquafina flavor splash ;D
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    diet is fine, good luck this is a good site.
  • MrsFolk
    MrsFolk Posts: 205
    Options
    I don't drink soda at all - none. The only liquids I'd drank this entire month are Boost Nutritional shakes, water and juiced fruits. Soda is a no-no.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I love me some Diet Coke, I've called it the elixir of life for a long time, but am slowly cutting it out of my life. I don't need it anymore (that's what I'm telling myself anyways!)... I'm drinking green tea now and it's different but I get more benefit from it. When I'm craving the carbonation I'll get some sparkling water
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I have weaned myself off of all diet additives on the advice of my nutritionist for better health. After you get used to it (takes some time) real food just tastes so much better. I do give in for convenience maybe once a week, but I make my own lemon-flavored water or un-sweetened tea and keep it in frig at all times.
  • thinbride0004
    thinbride0004 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Like anything, I would say that it is alright in moderation. Log it into your food tracker and that should help you to not drink too much. I wouldn't think of it as a 'healthy' option because it has a lot of other processed chemicals in it.

Water is always best, but if diet soda helps you avoid higher calorie snacks than why not? Just make sure you are still getting A LOT of water.
  • tabik30
    tabik30 Posts: 443
    Options
    I have friends that give me hell but I love it and I only allow myself one a day (otherwise I dont drink enough water), but it is a great treat to me! I say do what you want and no, everyone won't agree but you have to find what works for you because we're all different. Best of luck to you!
  • K8lin1985
    K8lin1985 Posts: 16
    Options
    I watched a programme on eating and diet coke was mentioned. The progamme followed an over weight guy who drank it all the time... they filmed his eating activity and after almost every drink he had, he ate a sugary snack after. It apparently has something in it which makes you do this.
    I used to drink it alot as it fills me up, but after seeing this programme I checked myself and the 2 were coming hand in hand with me! weird!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Love my diet soda! Limit myself to one a day tho......moderation!
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I don't like diet sodas. However, most have zero calories and shouldn't hurt your weight loss efforts.
  • TaniaCorric
    TaniaCorric Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    i drink so much water that sometimes i just want a drink of something alse
    i drink coke zero
    like u said great for curbing appitite
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Some people find they crave sweets from diet soda. I drink pepsi max or vanilla coke zero when I'm reallllllly craving something sweet and I don't eat anything after, I just don't have that problem but that's just me. If I need a sweet treat I bake an apple or I put some stevia on strawberries and orange pieces. I need the caffeine right now chasing 3 kids around, lol. I figure I have been eating really well, I should be allowed 1 thing that I really like, and my diet soda is that one thing. I don't drink it constantly, 1-2 cans in a day. I love carbonation, and I also drink seltzer water in a variety of flavors.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    If it works for you, use it. If not, don't.
  • recoiljpr
    recoiljpr Posts: 292
    Options
    I don't drink coffee (I can't stand the taste), but I love the taste of Diet Coke. So I have my two diet cokes per day to get my caffeine fix. Is it a drug? Sure. Could I get decaffinated? Sure. But I figure for myself for now, I can live with 2 diet cokes...
  • Beckyloo80
    Beckyloo80 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    To each their own on this topic I think. I used to be addicted to Pepsi. At least to 500 Ml bottles a day. This was about 10 years go. I decided to stop drinking it and that year I lost 40 Lbs. U used to keep it in the house and allow myself one a day, but over this last year of me changing my diet and fitness regime, I have come to realize how much better I feel not drinking it. Once in a blue moon I get a craving, and now I can not even drink a whole can. When I do want one, I choose Coke Zero or Pepsi Max. They are the ones that taste most like the real thing.

Good luck in your efforts!

Live Active everyone!
  • fitandstrongmommy
    fitandstrongmommy Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I drink one 20oz coke zero or diet coke a day, it is my caffaine as I don't drink coffee. I stopped drinking soda all together for about 9 months. Have recently started up again. I would love to give it up
  • susanfrancis40
    susanfrancis40 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Love it! Am addicted to Diet Coke / Pepsi Max.. I drink it for breakfast, lunch, dinner and in between...I know it is not good for me though and I am trying to drink more water and wean myself off the diet soda.....add me as a friend if you want :smile:
  • mumofflea
    mumofflea Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any soda for a while, because it is supposed to be a no no. I have been drinking water when I feel hungry, but doesn't really work. I think I will give soda a go hopefully it will help me with the hunger.
  • avt85
    avt85 Posts: 64
    Options
    when i first started i went cold turkey from normal sodas, then a few weeks later found that it was hard to wayne of fizzy (as i've been drinking it for so long), i decided to switch over to diet soda due to low calorie and now only have it when im having dinner to satisfy the craving.
  • Akious
    Akious Posts: 71
    Options
    cut it!

Its not really bad, its just one of those things that will add calories and sodium when you don't need them. More sodium = more water weight held onto.