Heart Rate monitor or fit bit?

Options
Hi,

I have been thinking about getting the fit bit ultra for a while now, however not sure how accurate it is, or if anyone has any feedback on it? I do alot of my exercise in the gym, so does it still work on the treadmill?

also, have read a number of posts saying that heart rate monitors are the thing to buy..so which is better? more accurate? basically i want something that calculates how many calories i am burning when in the gym as i dont actually trust the machines, although you put your weight it, they dont ask if you are male or female, which i know drastically changes the amount of calories burnt...

advice anyone..? oh and if i get a heart rate monitor, any good suggestions on which one to get?

Thanks

Replies

• Fairieluv77
    Options
    I have both and love them both. If you are just wanting to see the calories burned at the gym I would go with the HRM. Polar is a good brand. I just got a new FT7.
  • NikkiTompson
    NikkiTompson Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have both and love them both. If you are just wanting to see the calories burned at the gym I would go with the HRM. Polar is a good brand. I just got a new FT7.

Hi,

Thanks for that... if you dont mind me asking how much was the polar? and do they both match up then..or do you use the heart rate for gym and fit bit for everyday?

what is FT7?
  • BlueEyedTXmom
    BlueEyedTXmom Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I thought about getting a fit bit but I already had a go wear fit (like body bugg.) I wanted to be able to track my calories burned while working out-including in the pool, and I don't want to wear something all day every day. So I got a Polar FT4. Love it! I think the fit bit is good for tracking your all day activity including number of steps taken but I think for your needs a HRM would be the way to go.
  • jcamby
    jcamby Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I like my FitBit but love my HRM more! I have the Polar FT4 (Polar is the brand and the FT4 is the model) It says how many cals you burn - it's awesome!
  • NikkiTompson
    Options
    I like my FitBit but love my HRM more! I have the Polar FT4 (Polar is the brand and the FT4 is the model) It says how many cals you burn - it's awesome!

Great thanks -a few people seem to have this model... will def look into getting it..
  • NikkiTompson
    Options
    I thought about getting a fit bit but I already had a go wear fit (like body bugg.) I wanted to be able to track my calories burned while working out-including in the pool, and I don't want to wear something all day every day. So I got a Polar FT4. Love it! I think the fit bit is good for tracking your all day activity including number of steps taken but I think for your needs a HRM would be the way to go.

ooo...so does the polar ft4 work in the pool then? and how accurate do you think it is..compared to gym machines etc?
  • jcamby
    jcamby Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Def more accurate than the machines at the gym! Yes you can wear the FT4 in the water.
  • Fairieluv77
    Options
    My Polar FT7 (which is the model) was $83 with free shipping from Heart Rate Monitors USA.
    I use it for my workouts and the Fitbit for just normal walking around stuff. They've matched up a couple times as far as calories burned during workouts but I trust my HRM much more.
  • NikkiTompson
    Options
    My Polar FT7 (which is the model) was $83 with free shipping from Heart Rate Monitors USA.
    I use it for my workouts and the Fitbit for just normal walking around stuff. They've matched up a couple times as far as calories burned during workouts but I trust my HRM much more.

Great thanks...HRM sounds like the way forward according to everyone.. and its more reasonablly priced..
  • missmuse06
    missmuse06 Posts: 50
    Options
    I've been wondering this myself.... good insight for sure!
  • NikkiTompson
    Options
    Def more accurate than the machines at the gym! Yes you can wear the FT4 in the water.

Yay thank you...this sounds like a winner..
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting this! I'm going to read through it all later tonight
  • NikkiTompson
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your speedy responses...looks like i will go for the HRM as you all unanmous in stating that this is better..plus really like the idea of knowing how much i have burnt in the water... will be interesting to see how this compares to the suggestions on fitness pal when you add swimming - breastroke or whatever.. I have checked prices as well and very happy to see that its cheaper than the fitbit, so wins on that account as well...woop woop...
  • hpynh2o
    hpynh2o Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Both :)
  • rvagnoni
    rvagnoni Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Good post
  • tmbowen12
    tmbowen12 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I have an older Polar F4 and a fitbit ultra and they match up everyday. I love them both. They keep me motivated and active so I can reach my goals for the day.
  • MNchick
    MNchick Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I have both...I wear the fitbit throughout the day to try and up the amount of steps I'm taking (basically getting me off of my butt) and how many floors I'm climbing, and also use it to see how well I'm sleeping.

I have a HRM with a chest strap for when I'm doing my Insanity DVDs. I own the SportLine Duo
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    HRM is good for estimating what you burn in the gym. Fitbit for the other 23 hours (or all 24 if you just run or walk or dance or do aerobics for exercise).
  • cartoonsrcool
    Options
    I am a big fan of my Fitbit. It does track calories you burn, steps walked and flights of stairs. I wear mine all day and night. It tracks sleep patterns as well.

Down side, it can not be worn in the water.

It works great on elliptical and treadmills tracking steps and distance (based on your stride length entered on the Fitbit website). It will track both a walking and running stride.
  • tmbowen12
    tmbowen12 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I also want to remind you that if you do go with a HRM make sure it's CODED!! if you do workouts in a gym or take group classes and other people have HRM on you will get interference if it's not coded. If you work out alone then coded isn't necessary.