Has Anyone Made Veggie Chips?

Options
My husband and I both really enjoy crispy crunchy snacks.. But of course potato chips aren't the best, and we're getting tired of air popped popcorn.

I just made me a batch of sweet potato chips in the oven, but it took almost two hours and even the paper thin slices weren't crispy. Is there a fool-proof way to make yummy crunchy snacks? I've considered using a dehydrator but I'm not sure how they would turn out.

Replies

• cooper258
    cooper258 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind the taste of veggies, rather than starchy snacks...try kale chips. I think they taste great and even my husband liked them and he hates kale. You can find a ton of recipes on line and they take less than 30 minutes to make. Also, Vittle and Bits blog has some yummy veggie chip recipes for zucchini, apples, and others. Try to expand past potatoes? I have heard though that you can make potato chips in the microwave without oils...something to Google and try out.
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    bump because im hoping someone has ideas :)
  • Hrl1993
    Hrl1993 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    We make veggie chips in my house, but my mom always makes them, so I'm not sure how she does it. I'll ask her and get the recipe! My fav are beet chips :)

In the meantime, in regards to the non-cripsyness, I find we have to let them sit once they come out of the oven. When they first come out they're still a bit soggy, but after cooling, they are crisp.
  • discobones
    Options
    If you have any means of using someone's dehydrator then I would certainly try that....that way you can know if you like them dehydrated. I think they turn out more crispy that way.
    ]
  • mamaomefo
    mamaomefo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    The microwave oven will dehydrate potatoes into some delicious potato chips so I would think you could do other veggies/fruits too. Just slice them thin, place on parchment paper and a paper plate and wa la...::happy:
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind the taste of veggies, rather than starchy snacks...try kale chips. I think they taste great and even my husband liked them and he hates kale. You can find a ton of recipes on line and they take less than 30 minutes to make. Also, Vittle and Bits blog has some yummy veggie chip recipes for zucchini, apples, and others. Try to expand past potatoes? I have heard though that you can make potato chips in the microwave without oils...something to Google and try out.

^ This! Kale chips are good, even if you don't like kale they are delicious for some reason! I like to bake mine with a little olive oil and pepper on them.
  • theresaknorman
    Options
    I just found a website that says all veggies are the same...cut them thin (they used a mandolin), lay them flat on a baking sheet, brush lightly with olive oil, season to taste and bake at 350 deg for about 30 minutes. If you use sweet potatoes, bake for 22 - 27 minutes and beets you need to slice 1/8" thick and bake at 325 deg for 40 minutes. I'm gonna try it!
  • Tlopez428
    Tlopez428 Posts: 115
    Options
    I know these aren't chips but BAKED CHICKPEAS (Garbanzo Beans)

Directions: 1. Rinse and drain 1 can of chick peas 2. Place on parchment paper lined baking sheet 3. Bake at 450 for 30 minutes

I also season mine by placing them in a bowl or baggie with a splash of EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) and some lemon pepper. You can really season them with anything. For a sweet snack I season them with Splenda sugar or brown sugar and some cinnamon. YUM!
  • pittcurl
    pittcurl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    That's weird, I am about to try the spinach chips this week. I imagine the same as the kale chips I make. Just make sure you either use your salad spinner or press all the moisture out before baking. The other hint is that I use the pizza pan (with the holes) which dries it out also. I read on the boards here to use parchment paper if it's something very thinly cut. I haven't tried that either. I just love to keep experimenting with stuff lately.
  • vcreinert
    vcreinert Posts: 83
    Options
    By them baked without salt. Gourmet stores have them, health food stores have them and a lot of grocery stores have them on a separate aisle.
  • whouwannab
    whouwannab Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sheepysaccount
    sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    http://www.jlist.com/product/KING132

Try this one :) It takes about one potato to make two batches, completely fat free so you only have the calories from the potato. The only disadvantage is that the portions are smallish so you'll need longer to make enough for two.
  • jcamby
    jcamby Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Use a Chipster from Epicure (may be a Canadian company) or the silicone chip maker from Pampered Chef. Makes awesome chips in the microwave! YUM YUM!

http://www.pamperedchef.com/ordering/prod_details.tpc?prodId=35216&words=chip mker
  • pagingdoctork
    pagingdoctork Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    If you don't have your heart set on veggie chips, I always go to roasted seaweed or edamame for my salt cravings.

The seaweed you can get in the Japanese section of your grocery store (it may be called nori), and I like the edamame that comes frozen in shell with sea salt. yum!
  • casperuk
    casperuk Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    My husband and I both really enjoy crispy crunchy snacks.. But of course potato chips aren't the best, and we're getting tired of air popped popcorn.

I just made me a batch of sweet potato chips in the oven, but it took almost two hours and even the paper thin slices weren't crispy. Is there a fool-proof way to make yummy crunchy snacks? I've considered using a dehydrator but I'm not sure how they would turn out.

The easiest and best way to make crisps or chips as you lot wrongly call them is thinly sliced potato or sweet potato, between two pieces of grease proof paper with salt, vinegar, paprika or whatever you want and in the microwave for 30 seconds. Each MW is different so try a batch for 30, then if that doesnt work experiment and add 10 seconds each time.

They are crispy, delicious and low fat as you use no oil whatsoever.