Fitness video games?

Options
Does anyone use the kinect or wii to work out? Love it or hate it? What do you think about it and what are your favorite games to play?

I'm thinking about getting the Kinect so that I can play Nike Training and possibly the dance/zumba games. Could be fun. Not sure tho.

Replies

• bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Bump. I'm interested in this too. :)
  • angrodriguez92
    angrodriguez92 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Glad you bumped :) I already do workout videos and I really like them, so I imagine the fitness games would be well worth it. I just wanna know what other people think about their experiences with them.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I have a Wii - games I like: Just Dance & Exerbeat (too uncoordinated for Zumba). My SIL & niece love Zumba for Wii.

I don't exercise a lot with my Wii, but it sure does break up the boredom of doing the same videos time afer time. Saving for a balance board .... would love to use it for Wii Fit Plus (heard good things).
  • jehembee
    jehembee Posts: 114
    Options
    I have a Kinect, and I like it. I have Your Shape, which is alright, but just recently I bought the Biggest Loser game, and I LOVE it.
  • jcamby
    jcamby Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I love Just Dance and Zumba 2 for the wii. Didn't like Jillian Michaels Fitness Ultimatium or the wii fit.
  • SairahRose
    SairahRose Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I only have the Wii.
    I have Wii Fit Plus, EA Active, Zumba, Biggest Loser, Cardio Trainer and Gold's Gym... to be fair, I prefer the boxing and the EA Active on those, as they really do make me sweat and burn calories.

The Biggest Loser is okay, but on the Wii I find it a little too innacurate with the Wiimote when you're doing the exercises, and the Zumba I'm having to set it on 40 mins of intense before I feel out of breath - yeah, even at my weight :P

I do love them though - the Wii board is fantastic for yoga stretching and the scale.
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    RealWomenLovePitbulls Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I have YourShape Fitness for Kinect and I really don't care for it at all. I guess I should give it more of a chance, however I feel like i'm really getting going and it's like, "you've burned 8 calories, punch ur calories" and i want to punch it in the face (if it had one) seriously, all that was only worth 8 calories, F you lady! (it's a lady's voice) but I suppose as you advance farther, u burn calories faster, but still, i want more results faster... i'll stick with the elliptical. Also, it's hard for me to use the Kinect with my dog around cuz he thinks it's time to play when I start jumping around and whatnot
  • Inukie
    Inukie Posts: 3
    Options
    Lol, I think I'd actually workout more if I did get myself a Wii or the Kinect being a gamer at heart.
    I spend WAY too much time on WoW >.<

For now, it's Carmen Electra's F2S dvd <3
  • sarahwilloughby07
    Options
    I workout better with a video game, it brings out my competitive side (and yes I am competitive against myself).

My favorite is the UFC Trainer game for the Kinect, it knows when I'm cheating and if I don't do my best or something it won't "boo" me like most of the dance games I've seen, you get a lecture from one of your "trainers." You can learn the basics or start a 30 or 60 day workout program or pummel the crap out of a punching bag in the mini-games section. There's also multiplayer modes which I can't get anyone to play with me. :(

I've tried Zumba but felt like I got more of a workout playing Kinectimals, lol, I'm just not a dancer.
  • Pfeiffer24
    Pfeiffer24 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I have kinect.... biggest looser. Kinect adventures. Ultimate fighter, etc... I love them.! Great workouts..
  • dnorman56
    dnorman56 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I initially started my workouts using Wii Active and it was awesome. It is a very good workout and lasts anywhere from 30-50 minutes. I lost my first 20 pounds using it. It is a lot of lunges and leg workouts, but it takes off inches and it is set for 30 day increments. I highly recommend it.
  • jrs5444
    jrs5444 Posts: 86
    Options
    I have the wii and while it isn't my first choice for getting my workout in, it does come in handy when it's raining and I can't go run in the neighborhood. We have a free gym membership at my husbands work (Nissan) but it's about 25 minutes away so I don't ever get up there. There is a gym about 2 minutes from our house but I'm too cheap to pay for a membership when I could go for free =P
  • kellycdowney
    Options
    I have EA Active for Wii and it is a pretty good workout. I just started using it again after a long hiatus and it was kicking my butt! The game comes with a resistance band that is kind of weak, so I bought a 3-in-1 resistance cable set to use with it. Now I'm excited to keep going with it!
  • mlewon
    mlewon Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    LOVE my Wii Zumba and WiiFit Plus is awesome too!

The weight tracker/balance checker board for the WiiFit Plus is so fantastic. I love using it and all of the workouts that come with it. It's a TON of fun, and you can make it feel more like an actual workout or just play games while it records the number of calories you burn playing them!
  • sistasledge101
    Options
    I have kinect, and I started my weight loss journey on Zumba Rush. I love it. I'm pretty sure it over estimates the calories burned, but its great (if you love to dance)
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I use the Wii to work out. I have Witt Fit, and also some Yoga CD's and also a Jillian Michaels CD. I love them! My only complaint with Wii Fit is that it encourages you to weigh every day, and generally that is contrary to the advice I usually hear (normally told to weight once a week or less often). (not too thrilled that it "adjusts" your avatar to fit your BMI either...:laugh: )

I LOVE that I can be sitting at home, and think to myself "gee instead of watching TV let me use the Wii Fit!!

99% of my games for that thing are fitness or sports games.

Does anyone know - is there a Zumba CD for Wii? If there is have you tried it and is it any good? (not as good as class I am sure, but...)
  • TurningBackTheHandsOfTime
    Options
    I think this is an untapped resource that could be huge if the hardware was more user friendly and accurate, I think the Next Gen of Kinect should fix these flaws and it should enable a whole new generation of fitness possibilities....that's the hope anyway! I would much rather do P90X through my X-Box than on the dvd....the integration would be smoother and feedback would be faster.
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Fitness games are great. They aren't boring. They make working out fun, so you don't make excuses. They are fun to play with others, if you want to help motivate each other.

The last time I went on a "diet" before this, I lost the weight playing DDR (back in 2003). With a proper diet, it works to move!
  • j2tyco
    j2tyco Posts: 42
    Options
    I play Wii "active" games with my kids on my "off days" like today--I normally would have done spij at the gym this morning but I hurt bruised my ankle in the pool yesterday so I decided to play it safe and take today as a rest day.

the plain ole boxing on the standard wii disk that comes with the system wears me out and makes me sweat

I want to get some more dance games--right now we only have the Dance on Broadway which is fun --it made me sweat the first few times I played it but then I guess I got lazy and figured out what the sensor wanted to gice me "GREAT socres had nothing to do with what my actual body was doing so I could "cheat"...LOL
  • aimeeinohio
    aimeeinohio Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I have a Wii and hubby has the Kinnect....we don't have any work out games yet, but we do play Fruit ninja on the kinnect and it KILLS my arms!!

I'd love suggestions for the wii, cause my birthday is coming up!