Exercising everyday?

Options
Is this bad? I've heard ALOT of rumours that the muscle dosn't have time to heal. For rowing during the season I have to train twice a day, everyday. So I'm worried about how this will affect my weight loss/ muscle gain. Help would be appreciated :)

Replies

• sistasledge101
    Options
    everyone is different. At first I was working out 2 x a day for 1 hour a piece. and for two weeks solid, I didn't lose any weight. I started taking days off every 4-5 days off. Then I lost 7lbs pretty quickly.
    I believe our bodies need rest.
  • akaOtherWise
    akaOtherWise Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Is this bad? I've heard ALOT of rumours that the muscle dosn't have time to heal. For rowing during the season I have to train twice a day, everyday. So I'm worried about how this will affect my weight loss/ muscle gain. Help would be appreciated :)

I wouldn't hit the same muscle groups every day so it has time to heal....but working out every day is not a problem as long as you eat right and sleep enough.
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you're getting lots of protein and stretching and you should be fine. When you're weight lifting you don't want to work the same muscle group back to back because then the muscles don't have time to repair.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Generally, you can but you should be alternating muscle groups from day to day to give them a rest.

Training for a sport like rowing, however, I'm guessing you're actually rowing, right? I don't really think there's any way around it if that's part of the training program, but I think your body will get accustomed to it.

Look at people doing manual labour for a living. They do it 5 days a week, day in and day out.
  • 17ChargerGirl17
    Options
    I go to the gym every day. I do Cardio everyday and alternate muscle groups.
    On the weekends I only do Cardio tho. And I have been very consistant with my weight loss.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options

I wouldn't hit the same muscle groups every day so it has time to heal....but working out every day is not a problem as long as you eat right and sleep enough.

I'm going to add emphesis on "SLEEP ENOUGH." Sleep, followed by stretching are the two most important things when it comes to exercise.

I would get involved in intensity and rest days, but for someone who isn't hardcore about getting to be the best at something, it's not so important.
  • wookiemouse
    wookiemouse Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Just make sure to switch it up. Upper body one day, lower the next, a day or 2 of yoga, add in cardio. If you feel like you're overdoing it tho, you probably are - take a break and listen to your body.
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    RealWomenLovePitbulls Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    not an answer, but wow... u are stunning
  • amivox
    amivox Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    It really depends. If you are doing mostly cardio, then I don't think rest is as necessary. If you are lifting, you definitely need rest because thats when muscles repair and grow.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

You can, just need to vary what you do. Although sometimes you can hit the same muscle group in back-to-back days if you're trying to bring up something that is lagging, just don't do it for very long.

You could do something like,

mon: upper body
    tue: lower body
    wed: plyometrics
    thu: upper body
    fri: lower body
    sat: plyometrics
    sun: work on lagging muscle groups
  • modelesque
    Options
    Thanks everyone :), yeah I actually row so it would be difficult to get round, sometimes we alternate our trainings when it's to rough on the water with home ex which involves pull ups, push ups, squats, sprints etc but it's still working the same muscles... and yes I try to sleep about 8-10 hours a night now, thank you again for your comments :)
  • texastango
    texastango Posts: 309
    Options

I'm going to restrict my comments to Nutrition and Recommendations from Expert Sports Nutritionists and Exercise Physiologists:

Source of Information: SCAN: Sports Cardiovascular Wellness and Nutrition: Exercise Nutrition: A Manual for Professionals, 5th ed. (just out)
    =======================================================================================
    Rowing (Crew) Nutrition Guidelines - specifics depend on your body type and make up:

Energy: Relatively high-energy expenditure sport.
    Carbohydrate: 5-7 grams/kilo/day (A kilo = 2.2 lbs) Standard carb intake is 3-5 grams / kilo per day
    Protein: 1.2 - 1.7 grams per kilo per day
    Fat: ~1.0 gram per kilo per day. Fat in forms of heart healthy.

Concerns: Fatigue and lack of appetite can result from involuntary underconsumption of energy in an attempt to make weight.

Making Weight: Light weight rowers can usually consume enough energy and make weight without too much adaptation.

NOTE: DANGEROUS weight-cutting practices and disordered eating are found in both Female and Male rowers

Consumption of Food with Low Nutritient Density - Heavy-weight rowers eating high-fat high-sugar foods and beverages can get energy from them, but not Nutrients.

Balancing Fluid Intake with Fluid Losses: Training sessions are 30-45 min each. Water (while in the boat) isn't always accessible. Make sure you hydrate adequately. Dehydration is a constant concern.
    ==========================================================================

As far as training daily. I'll leave that recommendation up to others. Rotating your area of work - if you are resistance training is recommended by many - seek expert advice here.

You may know this already. If not, hope it helps.
  • modelesque
    Options
    I kind of did, I am a light weight rower and in some crew's the girls in my age group have turned annorexic or bulimic in order to stay under a certain weight. As with the muscle gain it's harder to stay in the light weight catagory. Fatigue my crew deals with is enormous amount of sleep and high calorie intake during the season from protein shakes, and energy protein bars. In the off season is more when we concentrate on losing weight, which is now for me.. Hence the reason I'm on this website. It was helpful, thank you :)
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I kind of did, I am a light weight rower and in some crew's the girls in my age group have turned annorexic or bulimic in order to stay under a certain weight. As with the muscle gain it's harder to stay in the light weight catagory. Fatigue my crew deals with is enormous amount of sleep and high calorie intake during the season from protein shakes, and energy protein bars. In the off season is more when we concentrate on losing weight, which is now for me.. Hence the reason I'm on this website. It was helpful, thank you :)

Just because you lift doesn't mean you're weight is going to shift so substantially as to affect your crew. I would recommend looking into something like Westside for Skinny *kitten* 3. It's a complete program for athletes and has an off-season and in-season program. Manage your diet well and you'll get stronger, thereby enhancing your athleticism, with minimal to no weight. Weight gain is mostly diet dependent.