starting an herb garden!

Options
what herbs would you grow in a fresh herb garden? so far i have ideas for the following:

basil
oregano
thyme
dill
rosemary
sage
chives
lavender

i do not like cilantro, so that suggestion will fall on deaf ears ;) what other herbs do you like? i figure the more suggestions i get, the more adventurous my cooking will become!

Replies

• laydeneko
    laydeneko Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Maybe some mints (pepper/spear), and Chamomile.
  • stronglikebull
    Options
    oh mint would be good. and chamomile too! thanks :)
  • greatwood1
    greatwood1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    You have a great basic list there! There are so many lovely, fragrant herbs, but your personal preferences will make the difference in choosing what you want to grow, as well as what grows well in your area. For instance, I love to cook with tarragon, but it grows very poorly here on the Southeast Texas Gulf Coast. So I grow Mexican Mint Marigold, which has a similar flavor and thrives here. I always plant several kinds of mint, but try to keep it in containers or in a bed away from other herbs because it is invasive. I grow lemon balm, stevia, pineapple sage, and Cuban oregano as well. Herb gardening will be very rewarding for you and your taste buds! Have fun!
  • stronglikebull
    Options
    i have seen lots of recommendations for lemon balm, but what do i do with it? and thanks, i'm glad to see what i've thought up so far is pretty comprehensive :)
  • greatwood1
    greatwood1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Use fresh leaves in salads,garnish for fish and other dishes.. Chopped leaves can be added to egg, fish and chicken dishes and sprinkled over fresh vegetables. Goes well with vegetables. leaves can be floated in wine or fruit cups as a flavouring and garnish. Substitute for lemon rind in jam making, and add to marmalades.
  • mfoulkebrown
    mfoulkebrown Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    If you plan to grow herbs outside, where you live and the time of year should influence your choices.

I live in NC and the heat here makes herbs like cilantro (which you said you don't like) and parsley difficult to grow in the summer months.

My basil, oregano, and dill are thriving, though! I love using my fresh dill and home grown cucumbers to make home made refridgerator pickles which are healthy and low-cal.
  • mantisladyx
    mantisladyx Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    My Basil took over my Garden and most of it is blooming.....is it to late or can I still do things with it (no green thumb here)
  • mfoulkebrown
    mfoulkebrown Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Basil is at its peak just before the flowers come out, but that doesn't mean you can't use it! You can use basil leaves at any time.

If you frequently clip your basil, it will actually grow more and stronger. Go out and clip off about the top 1/3 of your tallest plants, use what you need and dry the rest.

You could also just go out and pick some leaves to use. That won't hurt the plant at all.
  • Clcleeds2012
    Options
    Coriander, but be warned, its addictive!! :happy:
  • stronglikebull
    Options
    wow, thanks for all the awesome information guys! it looks like basil has basically shot to the top of my list :)