What is the "healthiest" bread?

Options
So i know bread is the enemy as far as a lot of people are concerned, but I still need something to hold a sandwich together, so what to choose? An enriched white? Whole wheat? Multi-grain? Some bizarre product made with wildflowers ground by Tibetan monks and baked in the glow of smug pretense? What are the best options out there for those who like bread?

Cheers,

Alan

P.S. I am Irish, so the carb-love thing is completely genetic and not my fault :-)

Replies

• wks7777
    wks7777 Posts: 230
    Options
    i was doing the eat clean "diet' for a while and Tosca Reno said that the Ezekial bread was great. i have never tried it just the regular kind but i got the cinnimon raisen kinds in the frozen section of organic section of the store and it was awesome. I would think multigrain bread would be best.
  • Kaileyxoxo
    Kaileyxoxo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I always try to get 100% whole wheat, keeps me full and usually has more fiber than regular white. Actually Fiber One makes good bread, they have 100% whole wheat and a multigrain with lots of fiber.
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Be careful and read the labels!! Even some "healthy" breads contain high fructose corn syrup!!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Whole grain, for sure. I like ancient grains and flax breads. Nice, chunky, grainy breads with a lighter taste than some other whole grain breads.
  • rrstucci
    Options
    Try pepperidge farm deli flats, 100 cal lots of proteene and fiber too
  • tabbi187
    Options
    I absolutely loveeee bread as well i just get the regular wheat not 100% bc i dont like that taste n its 70 cals a slice so i do pretty good with that and bread is filling so i always end up satisfied.
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Whatever it is - make sure it is high in fiber and low in sugar. That generally will point you in the direction of a lower GI food, which will have less affect on your blood sugar.

I get special, low carb bread so I can't really recommend anything in particular though. :ohwell:
  • BdaGolfer
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions and pointers. I currently eat Dempsters Whole Wheat @ 70 calories a slice, so it is hard to go much lower without eating the wafer-thin bread like the Weight-Watchers stuff. I would rather have the good bread and 1 less snack than go the other route :-)

Alan
  • romst19
    romst19 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of the Arnold Select Whole Wheat Sandwich Thins. Only 100 calories for the "roll" and they have 5 grams of fiber each!
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    I eat Nature's Own Double Fiber Whole Wheat. It is 50 cals a slice, it is thick, and it is big. I seriously can't believe it's only 50, compared to the other low cal breads I have seen. It has 5g fiber per slice...yum!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Lettuce. A lettuce wrap will hold your sandwich together!

Okay, seriously, I highly recommend Oroweat buns. They are whole grain, and only 100 calories for the entire bun (that's like 50 cals per slice!)
    You can get them at Costco or Walmart :)

I'm of Irish heritage, too, so I understand where you're coming from. Potatoes, gallons of milk, mmmm. The GOOD stuff! I gave up milk for almond milk (very mild, and about as thick as the real stuff, and no funky aftertaste), and now consume mashed cauliflower in place of mashed potatoes. Same consistency, similar taste, half the calories!
  • kgrutch
    kgrutch Posts: 223
    Options
    i use the ekezial bread but my favorite is josephs pitas and josephs lavash wrap, i toast the wrap and make it into a cracker. they are low carb, good protein, tasty.
  • Tennyshoe
    Options
    I second the Sandwich Thins choice. They have a nutty like flavor and are very moist. I love them toasted with my egg white omelet in the morning. They even taste great dry!
  • fitzfour
    fitzfour Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I also recommend the sandwich thins...they are great for sandwiches, burgers, whatever!
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    ezekiel, Alvarado st. bakery, the baker yoga bread. They are all delicious and nutritious.
  • kermiehiho
    kermiehiho Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I think I read somewhere that multigrain doesn't necessarily mean whole grain; it just means that the bread uses different kinds of grains. So I'd suggest either reading the labels on the "multigrain"s really carefully, or going for the ones that actually say "whole grain".
  • Crunchytxmama
    Crunchytxmama Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think the ezekiel is the "healthiest", but I'm of the natural-foods, Maker's Diet mindset. It's probably not the lowest calorie option, though. The sandwich thins are tasty and low-calorie.
  • joann
    joann Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Natures Own wheat with fiber is great its 50 calories and to top it off......its the same size as a regular slice of bread.
  • amberrosejr
    amberrosejr Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I agree with Joann. When I decieded to watch what I was eating I stood in the bread section for like 30 minutes looking at every bread. I finally decided on Natures' Own 100% Whole Wheat. It is 50 cal per slice and like 5 grams of protein per slice also (or very close to that). It is the same size as regular bread and has great taste. It doesn't have any high frutose corn syrup or added sugars either. They have a 'light' version but it only has 10 fewer calories and like 2 fewer grams of protein. I think it tastes much dryer than the regular one also. A

In sum: Natures' Own 100% Whole Wheat is my bread of choice.
  • Sparksfly
    Sparksfly Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Healthy Life Whole Wheat Bread.

35 cals a slice!