ATTN: Polar FT4 USERS

Options
Hey guys!! I am a proud owner of the FT4 Polar and I just have had it a little over a week, can I say I am IN LOVE and best investment in my fitness life ever??

Anyhow, I followed the directions seemed pretty simple to set up, first day ( leg day) I was pretty shocked at how much I burned.. 1 H and 30 min work out ranging 838 -877 calories... is that possible? I mean I feel like I kick my own *kitten*, but didn't think it was THAT intense??....

Today I did legs again, 877 cal (without cardio)... 1 Hr and 26 min..

My settings are female.. of course.. I am 5'8 151lbs...

Does this sound right? My brother was saying perhaps somethings off.....

thanks.

Replies

• beandawgy
    beandawgy Posts: 92
    Options
    As long as you've entered the proper stats (which it sounds like you have)...You should be getting accurate ratings. I recently switched from a TIMEX brand HRM to a Polar FT4 and I'm getting similar results on both.
  • Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    As long as your stats are right and you have a good connection with the strap then yeah it's correct.
  • Larisonlj
    Larisonlj Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    do a search on the topics for 'setup polar heart rate monitor for more accurate calorie burn' posted by heybales 4.2.12.
    it tells you how to enter your setting for a more accurate calorie burn. If you need to change them, you may already be right. :happy:
  • meowmixx25
    meowmixx25 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you ALL!!! :)))
  • cineshome
    cineshome Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • hubkal
    hubkal Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar7 and love it! it is right on with calories! It is amazing to see how much you burn~ Good job!!
  • JamCubeChi
    JamCubeChi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Bumping to check out replies later as I want to get one.
  • SKenyon6
    SKenyon6 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have the same one. If you go online though, you will see that they aren't really accurate when lifting. They are great for cardio but the calories are off for weights. You're better off using what MFP plugs in I think.
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    "Leg Day" suggests that you are using it for strenght training?

In this case, no, this would not be accurate. HRMs are not that useful for strength training, the best estimates for this type of exercise usually are charts linking reps with weight, and your own body weight. It's a bit more complex and harder to find.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/340571-how-to-calculate-calories-burned-from-weight-lifting-squats/

Check this for example. It's not as easy as cardio, since the link between HR and MET, or VO2 is not that what the HRM assumes it is. Basically, you can estimate Calories from the % of VO2max you are using, or MET (Metabolic Equivalent). Your HRM does link your HR to the calculated MET or VO2Max. Now if you do strength training, your heart rate increases, but at a different rate than anticipated by thr HRM, so the calculations are off :p
  • Kal_n_130
    Kal_n_130 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I feel like mine is not reading right... it gives very low burns when i do the toughest things. and i constantly check my heart rate and its always in the range or higher ...
  • deb1962
    deb1962 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love my Polar..I wear it every time i exercise..
  • meowmixx25
    Options
    "Leg Day" suggests that you are using it for strenght training?

In this case, no, this would not be accurate. HRMs are not that useful for strength training, the best estimates for this type of exercise usually are charts linking reps with weight, and your own body weight. It's a bit more complex and harder to find.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/340571-how-to-calculate-calories-burned-from-weight-lifting-squats/

Check this for example. It's not as easy as cardio, since the link between HR and MET, or VO2 is not that what the HRM assumes it is. Basically, you can estimate Calories from the % of VO2max you are using, or MET (Metabolic Equivalent). Your HRM does link your HR to the calculated MET or VO2Max. Now if you do strength training, your heart rate increases, but at a different rate than anticipated by thr HRM, so the calculations are off :p

Yes for strength! i did not do ANY cardio today on machines, and I burned 877...Granted I was keeping my Heart rate up and doing my own circuit training such as jump roping, using arobic benches doing step ups with weights, abs, etc.. so i am sure i guess that would account for some cardio.. but leg press, squats, dead lifts etc.

This is depressing, as this was the whole point of why I got a HRM to account for the calories I am burning when OFF the cardio machines. I found that the HRM on the machines have been pretty spot on with my HRM.. which was shocking.
  • meowmixx25
    Options
    I have the same one. If you go online though, you will see that they aren't really accurate when lifting. They are great for cardio but the calories are off for weights. You're better off using what MFP plugs in I think.

When I record my strength/lifting on here with MFP not only does it take awhile lol, but when i put it in, it doesn't list the calories.. just lists that I did it..=/