The Splenda shut off

Options
Ok.

Tomorrow will be day 1 of no splenda.

I just read someone's nutrasweet post on MFP and realized that I use tons of splenda and have for about 4 years. Maybe that's where a lot of my troubles are stemming from? Ok. Maybe not. but I figure it's worth a try.

I use about 4-6 packets of splenda a day, which has increased a bit from the 3 packets a day when I first started using it in 2004.

But

I have suffered from bad skin and moodiness over the last 4 years. Headaches and anxiety/palpitations. I also am having trouble losing weight as easily as I used to.

Now, I am a believer in scientific research, and one of my favorite quotes is "the plural of anecdote is not data" so I'm not ready to go blaming it all on splenda, but....

I do stay away (mostly) from trans-fats. I drink no soda, no juice. I'm not eating very many "bad foods"... but realized splenda is maybe my last holdout.

so, I'm giving it up, as of right now. Will try to do without or will use real sugar in my coffee.

and I'll see if it makes a difference. May will be no splenda month. Curious to revisit end of the month and see if anything is different.

anyone want to join me? in giving up splenda or your "fake sugar" of choice?

Replies

• LonelyPilgrim
    LonelyPilgrim Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Ok.

I just read someone's nutrasweet post on MFP and realized that I use tons of splenda and have for about 4 years. Maybe that's where a lot of my troubles are stemming from? Ok. Maybe not. but I figure it's worth a try.

I use about 4-6 packets of splenda a day, which has increased a bit from the 3 packets a day when I first started using it in 2004.

But

I have suffered from bad skin and moodiness over the last 4 years. Headaches and anxiety/palpitations. I also am having trouble losing weight as easily as I used to.

Now, I am a believer in scientific research, and one of my favorite quotes is "the plural of anecdote is not data" so I'm not ready to go blaming it all on splenda, but....

I do stay away (mostly) from trans-fats. I drink no soda, no juice. I'm not eating very many "bad foods"... but realized splenda is maybe my last holdout.

so, I'm giving it up, as of right now. Will try to do without or will use real sugar in my coffee.

and I'll see if it makes a difference. May will be no splenda month. Curious to revisit end of the month and see if anything is different.

anyone want to join me? in giving up splenda or your "fake sugar" of choice?
  • kittybellenir
    kittybellenir Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Natural Plant Sweetner STEVIA, has lots of fiber in it too!
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you! good move too.:flowerforyou:
  • wtchywmn
    wtchywmn Posts: 193
    Options
    I will join you. I use between two & three Splenda a day. I gave up artificial sweeteners a few years ago except Splenda. I only use it in my coffee. I gave up diet soda a few years ago and switched to regular. In January I gave up soda altogether. Now that I'm doing so well with all my other eating habits I will try to use real sugar in my coffee. I know it has calories but two teaspoons a day shouldn't hurt to much. After a month I will see if I notice any differences. I've had some of the same symptoms as you, not sure where they come from but this is a good place to start.:drinker:
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    I only have splenda in my coffee but you know what....I think I may join you on this one....the extra cals from the sugar won't be too bad...I think ....but lately I've been having more headaches so maybe that's why....:huh:

hugs and good post!
    Ali
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I have the most 2 splendas a day....usually one though and if I have tea, I can use 1/2 a splenda in each tea.

My brother tried to get me on the Stevia bandwagon years and years ago and stupid me didn't think anything of it. I am going to buy it. I do not like the sweet taste of real sugar, never was a sugar fan but I can't drink coffee without something in it and honey sometimes doesn't satisfy my taste buds.

good luck to you and tell me if you notices any changes.
  • abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Sugar, stevia, agave nectar/syrup, and maple syrup should become your new best friends! Better to have a little more calories than a lot more who-knows-what!

Good luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • ali106
    Options
    good point....I'm in!:wink:
  • queenie
    queenie Posts: 5
    Options
    I thought that I might share with all while we are on the topic that I had quit diet soda along with splenda about 4 months ago. I usually only had one or two tall diet drinks a day, and just one full packet of splenda a day). It took awhile before I noticed a change.

For myself, I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue a decade ago. While my symptoms have decreased, I still have my days of course. But I am much clearer headed and capable of focusing on paperwork again. The fatigue isn't as pathetic as it use to be. But these are my experiences.

Being 'awake and alert' after such a long time, I've decided to try to push myself and get some exercise and diet in my life. Thanks to this site reminding me.. I have also learned to enjoy water again, and just use good old fashion sugar.

I will be very interested in hearing others experiences. best of luck to all my new friends. :-)
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    You know I have been wondering the same thing for a while now...so I am joining this new challenge!!!!! Thank God I only have 3.5 little packets of splenda left...:laugh: Oh, and we will saving some money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Splenda and those weird sugar free sweeteners are soooooo expensive!! Thanks!!!!! And good luck to all of us!!! :wink:
  • ali106
    Options
    oh you're sooo right Annette! cha-ching!

I had my first coffee w/ real sugar and I thought oh its not going to be sweet enough, but I'll try it w/ one big teaspoon...and it was!!! woo hoo!

I'm glad I'm in already don't have that extra jittery funny stomach feeling that usually accompanies my coffee....wish I thought of this sooner....thanks for starting this!

hugs:drinker:
    Ali
  • LonelyPilgrim
    LonelyPilgrim Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I did the coffee sans ANY SUGAR or cream.. just did 1% milk instead. And guess what?

it wasn't nearly as good.

:)

but it was totally drinkable.. although not GULPable.. but I found this to be a good thing as I only ended up drinknig 1/2 my cup. Do I really need all that caffiene anyway?
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Natural Plant Sweetner STEVIA, has lots of fiber in it too!

and its natural I use it myself...
  • KrisKabob
    KrisKabob Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    I probably need to join this challenge... I use anywhere from 2-4 packs of Splenda a day and I also LOVE Diet Mountain Dew. I have to admit I'm quite the artificial sugar and caffine addict. That is my sinful pleasure!!! :devil: Should I join? This is the first time (at this very moment) that I realized that I may be addicted to these two things!!! I can't decide! O' Geezzzz! :noway:

What does artificial sweetner cause? I've never read about it. I just blindly use it!
  • Cowboy
    Cowboy Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Ok.

I use about 4-6 packets of splenda a day, which has increased a bit from the 3 packets a day when I first started using it in 2004

Just wanted to let you all know that "Splenda" is not nutra-sweet/aspartame. I understand your motives...all good ones. As a diabetic I can tell you it has been a Godsend for me.
    Cowboy
  • KrisKabob
    Options
    O' I forgot to mention that I also use 1-2 packs of Crystal Light a day... I LOVE CRYSTAL LIGHT!
  • KrisKabob
    Options
    You know, Cowboy, I just googled Splenda and was looking at some of the articles and things and it doesn't look like much of them have any evidence to back up that Splenda is bad for you.

Now aspartame/nutra-sweet may be another story... which I think that is in most dies sodas. I will say for those of you who have access to a Publix Grocery Store that all of their store brand diet sodas are sweetened with Splenda. I also think some coke products use Splenda.

I'm not sure what I should do. Does anyone know any good (valid) info on this subject?
  • KrisKabob
    Options
    Crystal Light uses Aspartame... O' geezzz! I am an artificial-sweetner-aholic! I need to study up on this one and probably make some adjustments.
  • Cowboy
    Cowboy Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Actually, I have a good friend who is head of the Chemistry Dept. at the University of Oregon and he ran a bunch of tests on it out of concern for me. His big one was that the process uses chlorine and that he wanted to make sure that none of that got into the bloodstream, which it did not. Of course it hasn't been around for twenty years, but so far at least, I haven't found anything responsible that leads me to believe otherwise. Hope that helps.
    Cowboy
  • KrisKabob
    Options
    Well thank you for the information... that makes me feel a little better. I still don't know what to do about my precious Crystal Light. Maybe I will treat it like I do diet soda - only one per day and no more!