Sore elbows while using dumbbells-Insight Please!

Options
Hi All!

Last week I started a weight training program at home using dumbbells and the guidance of the book "The Women's Health Big Book of Exercises." I'm super happy with my workouts and the book however I have noticed that when I'm using my "heavier" weights for squats, split squats, and deadlifts, that my elbows get quite sore. The soreness subsides quite quickly and doesn't bother me after my workout.

Would this be due to strain on the elbow because of the heavier (for me) weights and nothing to be concerned about or is there perhaps another explanation?

And insight would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Replies

• colette447
    colette447 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Try to keep your arms flexed a little so that the weight isnt concentrated on your elbow joints. Your biceps should be taking the weight. If you are doing squats with weights maybe you need to invest in a bar.???
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Is it actually your elbow joint that hurts? Or just pain in that general area? I ask because when I first started doing heavy weights, I'd get pain/soreness in the muscles that control your grip, which are right down by your elbow. Went away once I developed my grip strength a bit.
  • BlondeQtTexas
    BlondeQtTexas Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I would recommend you start taking a glucosamine supplement that also has MSM in it.

The pain is very normal btw. A lot of folks get it.

Congrats on your new fitness routine.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Are you doing barbell squats? Elbow position is critical. Elbows/wrists are not weight bearing in a squat, but many folks force them to be.
  • dougt333
    dougt333 Posts: 697
    Options
    Take it slow for a while until they get used to it. Also, glucosamine might help.
  • MeRoBi
    MeRoBi Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    For your squats and split squats, try holding the dumbbell "goblet" style (like you were going to drink from it), with two hands against your chest. The higher center of gravity means you can use less weight than if you were holding them down at your sides.
  • CycleFlow
    CycleFlow Posts: 55
    Options
    When I first started I would get pain in my forearms - similarly going a way quickly. It may have to do with the face that your joints, muscles, tendons etc are just not used to that type of weight/reisistance and needs to build up the endurance.

- Try keeping a slight bend in your elbow - so dont let the weight entirely drag your arm to full extention.
    - Second, try a looser grip. From working with friends I have noticed that alot of people death grip on the weight when they first start using them. Light and loose in the fingers. You only need enough grip to keep it in your hand (if you cant hold it w/o death grip white nuckles then its probably too heavy). It may help to get weight lifting gloves (or if you are at home wrap a sock around where you grip) I always find when I have my gloves my grip is a lot easier.

Hope one of those help.
    :)
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the quick responses! :smile:

@ collete447: Unfortunately buying a bar isn't financially possible at this point :ohwell: The weights that I'm using truly aren't heavy by most people's standards.....but they are heavy for me right now lol (15 and 20lbs). Thank you for the advice on keeping my arms flexed; I will definitely give that a try!

@DopeItUp: Now that you mention it, it does feel like pain more in that general area rather than the joint. I was thinking that it may just be a result of my arm strength still being a bit weak, so your insight certainly falls where I was thinking! Thank you!

@BlondeQTColor: I actually do take glucosamine daily and have been for a couple of months now however I'm not sure if it has MSM in it so I will check into that. What is MSM? Thank you!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    If it hurts on the "inside" joint of the elbow, it's probably tendinitis. It hurts when I grip something or do a pullup initially and goes away after a set or so.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    For your squats and split squats, try holding the dumbbell "goblet" style (like you were going to drink from it), with two hands against your chest. The higher center of gravity means you can use less weight than if you were holding them down at your sides.

This is a great idea! I think that I will give that a try next workout :) Thank you!
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options

these are awesome and you will also really feel it in your core.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    When I first started I would get pain in my forearms - similarly going a way quickly. It may have to do with the face that your joints, muscles, tendons etc are just not used to that type of weight/reisistance and needs to build up the endurance.

- Try keeping a slight bend in your elbow - so dont let the weight entirely drag your arm to full extention.
    - Second, try a looser grip. From working with friends I have noticed that alot of people death grip on the weight when they first start using them. Light and loose in the fingers. You only need enough grip to keep it in your hand (if you cant hold it w/o death grip white nuckles then its probably too heavy). It may help to get weight lifting gloves (or if you are at home wrap a sock around where you grip) I always find when I have my gloves my grip is a lot easier.

Hope one of those help.
    :)

Thanks! I was thinking that maybe the weight is too heavy, but I don't want to punk out since really the weights aren't that heavy in the grande scheme of things! My legs are fine with the weight and my form isn't sacrificed (to my knowledge!) So I don't think that I want to go lighter!
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    If it hurts on the "inside" joint of the elbow, it's probably tendinitis. It hurts when I grip something or do a pullup initially and goes away after a set or so.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Thank you! I haven't noticed it with any of my upper body exercises though, so that's what was leading me to believe it's something to do with my arm strength being kind of weak. I am definitely going to take notice of where the pain is exactly coming from during my next workout though.
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Using dumb bells as opposed to a straight bar or a select stack machine will work your ligaments,tendons, and support muscles more as it takes more effort to control these two independent weights. As long as it is not prolonged joint pain I believe you are just experiencing soreness because you are working areas that have been somewhat dormant. Make sense?
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    Using dumb bells as opposed to a straight bar or a select stack machine will work your ligaments,tendons, and support muscles more as it takes more effort to control these two independent weights. As long as it is not prolonged joint pain I believe you are just experiencing soreness because you are working areas that have been somewhat dormant. Make sense?

Yes absolutely it makes sense! And that's kind of what I was thinking but I just wanted to make sure I was on the right page! Thank you!
  • Anthonydaman
    Options

Yes absolutely it makes sense! And that's kind of what I was thinking but I just wanted to make sure I was on the right page! Thank you!
    I do 90% of my resistance training with dumb bells. I notice when I go on vacation or take a break I have similar pains in my elbows to what you are having. Dumb bells are actually the most ergonomic piece of exercise equipment created. They will make you stronger all the way around and you can do 90% of exercises with them. Use dumb bells for the first part of your workout and when you start getting tired towards the end, move to the select stack machines as you will not have to focus on controlling the weight, but just the pushing or pulling motion of the machine. Then you can wear yourself out safely. You probably know this, but as someone who learned the hard way my best advice for weight training is never sacrifice good form for heavier weights. More of a problem amongst male egos than women. Light weights with good form for high reps and a good muscle squeeze at the top of the movement will yield better results than slinging heavy weights around. Ok, i am done now.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options

I do 90% of my resistance training with dumb bells. I notice when I go on vacation or take a break I have similar pains in my elbows to what you are having. Dumb bells are actually the most ergonomic piece of exercise equipment created. They will make you stronger all the way around and you can do 90% of exercises with them. Use dumb bells for the first part of your workout and when you start getting tired towards the end, move to the select stack machines as you will not have to focus on controlling the weight, but just the pushing or pulling motion of the machine. Then you can wear yourself out safely. You probably know this, but as someone who learned the hard way my best advice for weight training is never sacrifice good form for heavier weights. More of a problem amongst male egos than women. Light weights with good form for high reps and a good muscle squeeze at the top of the movement will yield better results than slinging heavy weights around. Ok, i am done now.

I appreciate your advice! Thank you so much :)
  • Anthonydaman
    Options
    No worries, glad i could contribute
  • PeterThompson
    Options
    maybe the weights your using is not appropriate for you http://bestadjustabledumbbellsreviews.com/ here you can look at this lin it might help you