Tilapia Quesadilla

Options
msarro
msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
This is another of my last minute concoctions, let me know what you think!

An advance warning, the numbers are a little high because I didn't use fat free/low sodium/low carb anything to make this... just normal cheese and tortillas. If you use fat free or low sodium ones, or make your own you can knock down the numbers significantly.

Ingredients
1x whole wheat tortilla (at LEAST fajita sized)
1x medium tilapia fillet (I used a small filet from the extrasupergiantultramegasize pack they sell at wegmans)
2 tbsp salsa (your choice on this one, i usually use a really hot one for more flavor)
1/4 cup of lowfat taco cheese
A pinch of sazon goya seasoning (should be available at your nearest bodega, or ethnic foods/spanish store)
A lemon wedge
Cooking spray (low fat/no fat)

Thaw tilapia fillet if frozen Preheat oven to 350. Place fillet in an oven safe dish and drizzle with some lemon juice from wedge. Sprinkle sazon goya seasoning on one side. Rub in seasoning (wash your hands immediately after, it WILL stain your fingers bright red). Flip fillet and repeat. Discard lemon wedge. Bake tilapia in oven for 10-15 minutes - just long enough that it starts to flake with a fork.

After tilapia is ready, place it in a small frying pan along with salsa, and put on a low - medium heat. Break up the fillet into small chunks so it mixes with the salsa. You don't want to burn it, you just want the fish to soak up some of the flavor and finish cooking from the oven. Keep your eye on it, if it looks like its going to burn, remove from heat immediately.

Take a skillet and spray with fat-free cooking spray, or use a tiny dab of butter substitute. Whatever you choose really. Put skillet on high heat for a minute to warm up, then place tortilla on the skillet. Use one half of the cheese to cover half of the tortilla. As soon as you see the cheese starting to melt, take the salsa/tilapia mix and pour on to the cheese, covering one half of the tortilla. Pour the remaining cheese on the tilapia/salsa. Fold the tortilla over on itself and let set for about 30 seconds. Flip the tortilla and let it cook for about a minute. Grab a plate and serve it hot!

You can mix in a bunch of different things - jalepeno peppers, whatever you'd like.

Here is the nutritional info with the ingredients I used.

Calories: 402
Protein: 35g
Carbs: 55g
Fat: 15g
Sodium: 995mg

Makes one serving as described, but you could probobly split it into two using smaller tortillas - the fish and salsa make a LOT of filling (enough that it was a gooey mess trying to eat).

Replies

• msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    This is another of my last minute concoctions, let me know what you think!

An advance warning, the numbers are a little high because I didn't use fat free/low sodium/low carb anything to make this... just normal cheese and tortillas. If you use fat free or low sodium ones, or make your own you can knock down the numbers significantly.

Ingredients
    1x whole wheat tortilla (at LEAST fajita sized)
    1x medium tilapia fillet (I used a small filet from the extrasupergiantultramegasize pack they sell at wegmans)
    2 tbsp salsa (your choice on this one, i usually use a really hot one for more flavor)
    1/4 cup of lowfat taco cheese
    A pinch of sazon goya seasoning (should be available at your nearest bodega, or ethnic foods/spanish store)
    A lemon wedge
    Cooking spray (low fat/no fat)

Thaw tilapia fillet if frozen Preheat oven to 350. Place fillet in an oven safe dish and drizzle with some lemon juice from wedge. Sprinkle sazon goya seasoning on one side. Rub in seasoning (wash your hands immediately after, it WILL stain your fingers bright red). Flip fillet and repeat. Discard lemon wedge. Bake tilapia in oven for 10-15 minutes - just long enough that it starts to flake with a fork.

After tilapia is ready, place it in a small frying pan along with salsa, and put on a low - medium heat. Break up the fillet into small chunks so it mixes with the salsa. You don't want to burn it, you just want the fish to soak up some of the flavor and finish cooking from the oven. Keep your eye on it, if it looks like its going to burn, remove from heat immediately.

Take a skillet and spray with fat-free cooking spray, or use a tiny dab of butter substitute. Whatever you choose really. Put skillet on high heat for a minute to warm up, then place tortilla on the skillet. Use one half of the cheese to cover half of the tortilla. As soon as you see the cheese starting to melt, take the salsa/tilapia mix and pour on to the cheese, covering one half of the tortilla. Pour the remaining cheese on the tilapia/salsa. Fold the tortilla over on itself and let set for about 30 seconds. Flip the tortilla and let it cook for about a minute. Grab a plate and serve it hot!

You can mix in a bunch of different things - jalepeno peppers, whatever you'd like.

Here is the nutritional info with the ingredients I used.

Calories: 402
    Protein: 35g
    Carbs: 55g
    Fat: 15g
    Sodium: 995mg

Makes one serving as described, but you could probobly split it into two using smaller tortillas - the fish and salsa make a LOT of filling (enough that it was a gooey mess trying to eat).
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Love my sazon in everything!
    I have to try this... Thanks :bigsmile:

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • nikki_b335
    nikki_b335 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    interesting... think I might try this:happy: