walking backwards??

Options
I live in a very hilly area and have been walking up down them everyday recently. I was wondering if walking backwards up the hills does anything that regular walking doesn't? I've been doing it for little amounts of time and it feels like I'm using different muscles but I would like some sort of reassurance that I'm doing it for a good reason, not just to get weird looks from drivers. Any info would be great! Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Lightbulb1088
    Lightbulb1088 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    my sister walks alot and she walks backwards for small periods and she says it helps with other muscles. So keep it up. :)
  • verapamil
    verapamil Posts: 94
    Options
    Thanks! It's nice to know that if I look crazy, at least it's for a good reason. :laugh:
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    retro-running, was always a blast on the old rail bed to the nearest store 3 km's from home, throwing some of that in kept things interesting, not to mention the "tight-rope" walk across the sides of the bridge :)
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    When I was in physical therapy for a ruptured disc the therapist had me walk backwards on the treadmill. I still do that sometimes and I do it on the elliptical as well.
  • kayealert
    kayealert Posts: 1
    Options
    Yes I agree I had ACL surgery twice and it strengthens other areas that are not normally hit. Welcome the strange looks you'll have the best legs around.:wink:
  • verapamil
    verapamil Posts: 94
    Options
    Yes I agree I had ACL surgery twice and it strengthens other areas that are not normally hit. Welcome the strange looks you'll have the best legs around.:wink:

that's what I'm going for :happy: