How to become motivated with exercise.

Options
Ok so how does one become motivated with exercise when one works a job, then has to come home to look after 3 kids, a hubby, household, laundry, cooking supper, etc??? I'm super tired I so don't wanna go out to run or take the dogs for a walk, I just wanna veg...know what I mean???

Replies

• Jenph20
    Jenph20 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    MAKE time for you!! You are doing it for your children and your family. Its not selfish to take 30 minutes to workout when its ultimately helping the whole family. If you are looking for a little extra support, i have a ladies only support group on FB. Just send me a message :)
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling, minus taking care of children, since I don't have any yet. Totally agree that if you don't take time for you, how are you going to take care of those that depend on you? It's okay to take time for yourself! If household chores like cooking are getting in the way, try using a crockpot or cooking several large meals on the weekends and freezing them in portions so you don't have to cook all week. Then use that extra bonus time to go to the gym! Going in the mornings might also be an option. That way it's taken care of and you can start your day off knowing you took care of YOU today :) Good luck, you can do it, and you are certainly worth it.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I don't have quite so many things on my plate as you do - but what works for me is to exercise first thing in the morning. Then I don't have the rest of the day to put it off!
    Or, are there kid's activities that you can fit it - run around the oval while they are at soccer training for example?
  • PrezBigGirl
    Options
    I know how you feel, especially because I miss my child all day and resent being away from him so I just want to spend time with him when I get home and relax (I don't have anyone to watch my child while I work out) so I have been taking him swimming and playing kick ball with him and walking to taco bell for dinner and stuff like that. Once the excercise bug is in you, it is easier to add more. If I am doing cardio then I have to use pump up music that I want to sing along to. Therefore, I put the best of music on my MP3 player and can only listen to that music while I work out. It helps to motivate me as does remembering this qoute "don't waste the pretty" in other words right now you are younger than you will ever be again in your life and you could look your best now and be the most active you will be with the least amount of effort and pain so don't waste it sitting around and watching too much tv, get out and enjoy like now and don't waste the pretty time. Sometimes it doesn't work for me, but the more I do it the more it motivates me to work out more. You could take your kids bike riding, paddleboating, you could do races in the back yard and all kids of family things that are fun and don't feel so much like excercise. My sister does the insanity workout with her kids and they love to do it with her to show her how much better in shape they are then her.
  • Mdin1029
    Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Someone told me that the motivation comes AFTER the results. At first you just have to force yourself to do it. Even a 30 minture dvd (which can be done without having to worry about leaving the kids). Once you see results, you will feel motivate. Hope that helps.
  • HorseMamaof2
    Options
    MAKE time for you!! You are doing it for your children and your family. Its not selfish to take 30 minutes to workout when its ultimately helping the whole family. If you are looking for a little extra support, i have a ladies only support group on FB. Just send me a message :)

I would LOVE to join that group on FB...are you on the MFP FB page??
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Someone told me that the motivation comes AFTER the results. At first you just have to force yourself to do it. Even a 30 minture dvd (which can be done without having to worry about leaving the kids). Once you see results, you will feel motivate. Hope that helps.

This
  • HorseMamaof2
    Options
    You are all awesome!!! I appreciate each and everyone of your comments!! I am starting to look after myself by doing little intervals each day that I have time! Baby steps I suppose...And if I feel tired, I am pushing myself through!! Yes it is hard, but last night when I went to zumba, I came home feeling soo much energy that I could've spent hours cleaning the house!! It felt super great!! So now I'm going to write a plan for myself and post it up on the wall so I can follow it! This way I can check off the exercise that I'm doing and not feel guilty not doing it!! Yay!! One day at a time!
  • SueD66
    SueD66 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Yes i agree you have to make a bit of time for yourself. even if you have to start with some kid dance dvd so the kids dance around with you. (don't know how old your kids are but it would be fun for them too) then go take a walk even if it's just 10 minutes. build up to the amount of time that you would like for your time. I found at first that i had to make myself. Now i enjoy "my time". You can do it :)
  • Asil02
    Asil02 Posts: 261
    Options
    I get up at 5:20 in the morning to go for my 35 minute walk. That way it is done and I don't have to worry with it anymore that day. However, you could have the hubby and kids go with you! It'd be just as good for them as it is for you. And exercise doesn't have to be grueling. You can play games (badminton, soccer, baseball, etc) with the family and get a good workout and have fun!
  • wedjul05
    wedjul05 Posts: 472
    Options
    I work mon-fri, 2 kids (2 & 3), a house to run also (have a husband but most household stuff falls on my shoulders) and I exercise 4/5 times a week.

I got up at 5am this morning to go for a 30min run before I had to get ready for work/get the kids up with husband. I then go to the gym after the kids go to bed at 8pm.

Its hard and yes it's tiring but it's me time also. Head space for me. I LOVE it. I wish I could exercise more!

You will get motivation once you start. Once you see results, it becomes addictive and you want to see more results.
  • beeceezee
    beeceezee Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I agree that working out first thing in the morning is a good idea. That's what I do. I like to spend evenings with my little girl and husband and to just lounge. If I don't make time early in the morning, I won't do it at all. Make sure to be realistic about how many days you will workout at first and then build up to more.

I usually feel better when I get those workouts in.

Good luck!!
  • avasano
    avasano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    We make it a family activity. Even if my 12 year old rides the bike while I run or my husband runs while I walk gasping for air. lol! Plus the work out videos are tons of fun as a family. It gives everyone something to talk about. Even if you only do 20 min, you did something. It takes 14 days to make a habit. I think of it like this, time will pass but will I make my goal? Good Luck.
    -Ava
    “Be the change you wish to see in the world.”
  • momX3kane
    momX3kane Posts: 11
    Options
    I am having the same problem. but, today is a brand new start... A new start for me, a new start for the family, and a new start for the future.... I have a soon to be ex husband, and three kids, and work full time. I completely understand. And we cant get up earlier..... that makes us not have as much sleep. :) But oh well, we can only do what we can do huh?