Losing weight but looking fatter? HELP!!!

Options
So about 2 weeks ago I began doing a combo of yoga, pilates, and aerobics (mostly Zumba) classes alternating days and I have been going to the gym 5-6x a week. I have been sticking to my diet and the scale is dropping, I'm down about 3lbs in the last 2 weeks. So I would be happy, except my tummy and thighs are actually looking flabbier and bigger. I feel stronger and I am sure I am building muscle, but I feel like my body is looking worse, not better. I my stomach looks wider, my hourglass curves are almost gone and my tummy pooch sticks out more than ever. My thighs are looking bigger too, except the cellulite-ness seems to have lessened. Has anyone experienced a similar thing? What did you do?

Replies

• jme813
    jme813 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling the same way! I have lost 5 lbs in the past 2 1/2 weeks but the last couple of days I've been feeling uncomfortable, and my belly looks bigger "/ I wonder if this has to do with the fact that I've lost inches around my waste...

I've really felt uncomfortable the past 2 days
  • rkr22401
    rkr22401 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Add resistance training to your routine.
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    I need 2 days of weights/strength training
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    has it really only been 2 weeks? give it another month, and just keep measuring yourself.
  • stfriend
    stfriend Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    If you've only just started then its probably water retention. Make sure to drink your water and make sure you aren't doing too much, to soon. I also second the strenght training.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I know this may sound silly, but are you sure it's not in your head? Sometimes, when I lose weight (or even when I am just trying to) I find that I over analysise myself in the mirror and start to find faults that I had never noticed before! They aren't necessarily new problems, just newly recognised?

Either way, if you are exercising, eating well and the numbers on the scale are going in the right direction, then you are doing all the right things, and soon your brain will catch up with your body and realise this. Stick with it!!
    This was my first thought. 3 lbs isn't much, I can fluctuate 4-5 lbs per day just from water retention. I doubt that you can really notice 2 lbs in the mirror, I'd say your eyes are playing tricks on you. If anything start taking measurements
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that before leaving,my fat before lumpier and squishy. It might be what is happening to you combined to water retention from exercise. Be patient
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 2,000 Member
    Options
    Roadie2000 wrote: »
    I know this may sound silly, but are you sure it's not in your head? Sometimes, when I lose weight (or even when I am just trying to) I find that I over analysise myself in the mirror and start to find faults that I had never noticed before! They aren't necessarily new problems, just newly recognised?

Either way, if you are exercising, eating well and the numbers on the scale are going in the right direction, then you are doing all the right things, and soon your brain will catch up with your body and realise this. Stick with it!!
    This was my first thought. 3 lbs isn't much, I can fluctuate 4-5 lbs per day just from water retention. I doubt that you can really notice 2 lbs in the mirror, I'd say your eyes are playing tricks on you. If anything start taking measurements

Agree with this completely - I'm about 20 pounds from my goal weight, and can fluctuate upwards of 5 pounds a day - and what I *think* I see in the mirror is not necessarily what the scales reflects. Some days I think I look far more trim, but the scale will say otherwise!

Measure your body in several key areas, weigh using a trend app, and take some progress photos every few weeks. You may find that what you *think* you see isn't what is actually happening :)