Anyone have any cosplay experience?

Options
I'm preparing for what I believe to be a very expensive cosplay. I wouldn't know, I've never done it before.

I plan on being the Pharaoh Atem from Yu-Gi-Oh at A-kon in Dallas next year, my budget is roughly between $800 - $1,000

http://images.wikia.com/yugioh/images/b/bd/Atemu.JPG

Who are some high quality commissioners? I plan on going the extra 9 yards and getting a replica Millenium Puzzle commissioned as well, hahaha.

Replies

• megmay2591
    megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    That looks SWEET!! I don't have any cosplay experience but I really want to go to a convention dressed up. I hope you get some good answers!
  • DollyMiel
    DollyMiel Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Everyone I know makes their own costumes. I've always wanted to cosplay but I don't have the money or skill for a costume (or the looks, lolol). Good luck. Maybe you can look on ebay for some accessories, or cruise cosplay sites for people who might know some good people you can turn to.
  • Exill
    Exill Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Try cocosilver.org, they take commissions.
  • spongekitty
    spongekitty Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Materials and ingenuity really define the price. Fabric there isn't much to do about the cost, but after that, all that metal banding and golden trinkets can be well replicated in paper, cardboard, and paint. I had a friend who boasted the most amazing pair of cardstock wings doing someone from Fairy Tail, and they only cost as much as the paper. I'd recommend checking deviantart for people who've done it before you, see if they have tips they are willing to share. I actually found a full tutorial for the costume I made this year (the dude from Journey, that ps3 game).

In terms of a replica puzzle... I'm pretty sure they sell licensed ones. At least they used to.
  • RaqibMarvelous
    Options
    Materials and ingenuity really define the price. Fabric there isn't much to do about the cost, but after that, all that metal banding and golden trinkets can be well replicated in paper, cardboard, and paint. I had a friend who boasted the most amazing pair of cardstock wings doing someone from Fairy Tail, and they only cost as much as the paper. I'd recommend checking deviantart for people who've done it before you, see if they have tips they are willing to share. I actually found a full tutorial for the costume I made this year (the dude from Journey, that ps3 game).

In terms of a replica puzzle... I'm pretty sure they sell licensed ones. At least they used to.

I would rather get actual metal banding. As for the Millenium Puzzle itself, Konami has officially released a few, but they're not very good. They're made out of really cheap plastic, and they're very small
  • iRebel
    iRebel Posts: 383
    Options
    I don't know much, but I would love to get into cosplay!
  • SaraBelle0312
    SaraBelle0312 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I went as Captain America recently for the premier...Yeah I am a girl but he's my favorite. I want to be able to fit into anything before I get serious about Cos Play. I prefer cos-ing through books though, more freedom for the imagination. :)
  • sathor
    sathor Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Pharoh Yami Yugi, cool. I once saw a working game boy at the one in Columbus.

If you see the great ChibiXane, I used to know her...
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this will help you for your specific cosplay, but I know Deviantart has a lot of really good costuming tutorials that you could apply to this. They WILL take some time to execute, but that's why you get started early. The best cosplays take effort. ^o^
  • hallo_chief
    hallo_chief Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    First I'd like to say that I am so glad to find others interested in cosplay on mfp lol thought I was alone on here lol
    If you plan to create the costume yourself, I think cotton would be your best bet for the cloth part of the costume - you can even stroll into walmart and purchase a set of flat white sheets and a set of purple (though finding the exact shade you want could be difficult so heading to your nearest fabric store may be your best bet). Looking for a basic straight dress pattern for his robes would suffice if you didn't already have a pattern; the cape may just take some imagination and ingenuity but shouldn't be too difficult
    I've seen quite a few people when it comes to the gold accessories, I've seen people do casts of what they want to do (out of paper, plastics what have you) and then, to add a special touch, use 24 karat gold leaf to cover for that metallic look. Considering you have such a high budget, this may be within reach for you.
    If you have any welding/blacksmith friends willing to make those pieces, that'd be another way to go as well especially when looking for something sturdier
    http://fav.me/d53h02k not necessarily Atem in his Pharaoh times, but the cosplayer did style the wig and make the costume - I'm pretty sure he made the puzzle as well lol
  • TheDreadPirateRoberts
    TheDreadPirateRoberts Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    My daughters are really into this stuff and they tend to make their outfits. I bought my eldest a sewing machine for one birthday and she finds patterns on the internet and creates all sorts of characters that I've never heard of.

My fault for introducing her to manga all those years ago I guess.
  • RaqibMarvelous
    Options
    My daughters are really into this stuff and they tend to make their outfits. I bought my eldest a sewing machine for one birthday and she finds patterns on the internet and creates all sorts of characters that I've never heard of.

My fault for introducing her to manga all those years ago I guess.

I'm no good with sewing machines. I planned on commissioning someone to make it for me hahahah. I want it to be perfect
  • Exill
    Options
    I went as Captain America recently for the premier...Yeah I am a girl but he's my favorite. I want to be able to fit into anything before I get serious about Cos Play. I prefer cos-ing through books though, more freedom for the imagination. :)

Awesome! I really want to cosplay Loki because, well, need I explain? >8)
  • RaqibMarvelous
    Options

Isn't Loki a guy too? I should just be Nurse Joy.
  • EveryoneElseIsTaken
    EveryoneElseIsTaken Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I do!!! I love cosplaying! ^w^ I'm going as Prussia from Hetalia to Otakon this year! :3
  • EveryoneElseIsTaken
    EveryoneElseIsTaken Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Permission to friend all of you?!?!
  • Exill
    Options

Isn't Loki a guy too? I should just be Nurse Joy.

Yes! Haha. Actually, I've only ever cosplayed two girls and one of them was Naoto from Persona 4 who is very boyish. I guess I'm just more comfortable in pants. :D