Evening meals that are 400 cals or under?

Options
2»

Replies

• trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    chicken roast dinner....yummy :bigsmile:
  • bethygirlie
    bethygirlie Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I mix ground chicken breast with buffalo sauce and fat free ranch dressing, make it into a patty and grill it. I then put it on a deli flat roll and top it with a little more buffalo/ranch mix. Also can put a little cut up red peppers/jalepenos on it and a slice of pepperjack or part skim mozzarella. Turns out awesome, and you can have a 2nd one for not that many cals or a side of steamed seasoned vegetables. High in protein, low in fat. It's pretty darn delicious!!
  • lisav6
    lisav6 Posts: 56
    Options
    Last night I had a very yummy and filling low cal meal. Baked sweet potato (you could substitute white potato for the little 'un), a flattened pork fillet (sizzle steaks from morrisons) marinaded in bbq sauce and mustard with corn on the cob and peas. Have a look through my diary as there are quite a few meals there coming under 400 cals.

There are some great ideas here too:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/

http://ohsheglows.com/
  • lisav6
    lisav6 Posts: 56
    Options
    I mix ground chicken breast with buffalo sauce and fat free ranch dressing, make it into a patty and grill it. I then put it on a deli flat roll and top it with a little more buffalo/ranch mix. Also can put a little cut up red peppers/jalepenos on it and a slice of pepperjack or part skim mozzarella. Turns out awesome, and you can have a 2nd one for not that many cals or a side of steamed seasoned vegetables. High in protein, low in fat. It's pretty darn delicious!!

sounds great but can you clarify for us brits what buffalo sauce is?
  • zealousmissjj_wechange
    Options
    Hi! I have some Dutch recipes and I think similar things are available in your grocerystore!

I love to make a salad made of haricots verts, tomato, boiled egg, kapers and tuna! Great for proteïn en very, very delish. Still only 390kcal if you eat a whole plate! (I replace the salmon in the recipe for tuna!)

http://www.ah.nl/recepten/recept?id=830924&rq=haricots+verts+zalm&sr_type=recipe

Also, I love a coconut soup with tofu... It's only 310Kcal and full of flavor! Ingredients are: tofu, lemon, spring onion, ginger, red curry paste (I used chilli powder), cube of vegetablebroth, coconutmilk, lemongrass and basil.

http://www.ah.nl/allerhande/#/recepten/99462/kokossoep-met-tofu/?rq=kokos+soep+tofu

Hmmmm... hungry already!!
  • Damiilla
    Damiilla Posts: 66
    Options
    If I'm tight on calories I'll have soup. New covenant Garden soup, and Glorious skinny soup are a lot lower in sodium than canned soup (they're fresh) and usually 300 calories tops for 600ml. I love them!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    If I'm tight on calories I'll have soup. New covenant Garden soup, and Glorious skinny soup are a lot lower in sodium than canned soup (they're fresh) and usually 300 calories tops for 600ml. I love them!

That's funny, because when I've got too many calories, that's exactly what I have as a starter! Although a lot of them are closer to 400, or maybe I've been getting Tesco's own as they're on deal.
  • azziria
    azziria Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I make a chilli or bolognese sauce with lean mince, eat mine with a big helping of steamed vegetables and serve it to the rest of the family with pasta or rice (my partner and my kids are all tall, lean and very active, so need the calories). That way I balance their needs with mine.
  • CatholicUK
    CatholicUK Posts: 88 Member
    Options

Hehe! I was wondering that too! No idea what it is but it sounds delish!! LOL!!

Thank you everyone for your suggestions!! See, I know of a good number of 400-or-under meals, but they're so bloody boring! lol! Really glad to hear your favourite meals, really inspires me!

Marie xx
  • muirspud
    muirspud Posts: 27 Member
    Options

Its a spicy sauce. The best alternate and just as nice here, is the piri piri marinade and dressing. Morrisons is quite good, and its not as many calories either compared to other dressings you can get in the supermarket, plus its bluddy nice and warm!
  • muirspud
    muirspud Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Fish is your friend for alot of 400 cal meals. Trout, salmon, mackerel.

Some quickie foods. Bernard matthew Turkey burgers or only 144 calorie per burger. Quorn burgers are about 80cal per burger, bit of salad and dressing takes away the bland flavour of it.

If your wanting to do a fajita style dish, but with healthier wraps, but are just as tasty. Try whole wheat chapatis, 66calories per chapati.

453cal tea, Baked trout with black bean sauce, stri fried or steamed pakchoi, garlic and chestnut mushrooms!

Curry lovers, try the co-op healthier naan breads, there are twice the size of weight watchers and alot more taste and at 140calories, there perfect!
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    this is low carb but you can easily make it lowcal.

chicken parmigiana

baked spaghetti squash for pasta mixed with a tomato sauce
    i coat my chicken breast in egg wash and then coat in almond flour
    fry it in coconut oil (but you could do olive too, or nonstick spray)
    top with cheese!

chicken is 150 cals for 3 ounces
    coconut oil is 100
    cheese is 100
    the squash is about 29 (depends how much you use, i did 85 grams/3 ounces)
    sauce is 35 - again varies.
    almond flour is 100 as well.

so to make it lowcal you could use nonstick spray and save 100 cals.
    and use low fat cheese (but ew, it tastes so gross! i'd rather splurge.)
    i didn't measure the sauce or cheese, but its probably pretty close.

it's 14 carbs, 5 fiber and for my full fat version it is 573 cals.

EYnox.jpg
  • nichojanes
    nichojanes Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Pot Noodle. 392 cal.
  • Damiilla
    Damiilla Posts: 66
    Options

That's funny, because when I've got too many calories, that's exactly what I have as a starter! Although a lot of them are closer to 400, or maybe I've been getting Tesco's own as they're on deal.
    Ah, it's probably because I choose the veggie ones like Leek and potato. New covent garden is on sale for £1 as well so that helps!
  • bethygirlie
    bethygirlie Posts: 311 Member
    Options

Its a spicy sauce. The best alternate and just as nice here, is the piri piri marinade and dressing. Morrisons is quite good, and its not as many calories either compared to other dressings you can get in the supermarket, plus its bluddy nice and warm!

I use Frank's Buffalo wing sauce. It's a spicy sauce that is orange in color, it's hot but it's very tasty!!
  • wooface
    wooface Posts: 12
    Options
    There is an app you can get for your phone - which is dedicated to low fat meals. And they are all really good. It's called BBC GoodFood Healthy.
    :)
  • CatholicUK
    CatholicUK Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Pot Noodle. 392 cal.

Ignore my husband! He's a dirty tramp!!! Haha!! xxx
  • NikkiTompson
    NikkiTompson Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm stuck for ideas... please share with me your favourite dinnertime meals! If you're American, please let me know of clean recipes, because we don't get very much of your food over here in the UK. Apart from McDonalds, KFC and Burger King... yeah thanks for that! :wink:

Also if they are adaptable that would be a great help, hubby and I are on the diets but our 5 year old will need more than 400 cals in his evening meal so anything that can be added for him to a recipe is always a good 'un! :smile:

Thanks in advance!!

Marie xx

hiya,

Hubby and I go for the chicken chargrills that you can buy from the frozen section in tesco or asda.. if you have two of them they are only 310 calories and full of protein and hardly any carbs. We then usually make a massive salad and have that with...the chargrills are actually really nice as well, so doesnt feel boring.. and you could have with chips on cheat night and still be relatively healthy. They also have different flavours.