muscle cramps (not soreness)...question

Options
lporter229
lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
I have been experiencing a lot of cramping in my legs and feet (mainly calves and quads). It happens mostly at night and also during my yoga class in certain stretches. I know this is typically a result of dehydration, but I don't think that's the issue because I drink a ton of water and eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. I am wondering if this could be a result of muscle breakdown? I see people talking a lot about muscle loss on here and I don't know if that could cause the cramping.

I typically work out 5-6 days/week, including 3 days of running (about 15 miles/week), 2 days of P90X (upper body) or Firm videos (total body) and one day of yoga. I also walk almost everyday at lunch on VERY hilly terrain and I throw in a day or two of 30DS when I can. I do not focus too much on strength training on my lower body because I feel like I get that from running and yoga, but maybe that is my problem. Typically net 1400 calories (if you look at my diary, start back a week because last week was holiday and vacation and is incomplete and not typical). I'd appreciate any input/advice.

Replies

• jlmoses91
    jlmoses91 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I used to have problems with muscle cramping in my legs when I was still in track last year. Alot of the runners told me to eat a food thats higher in sodium, most of them would eat pickles. I know it sounds weird but they said the higher sodium helped with muscle cramping and it did for me! After that I never had problems again!
  • phinphanbill26
    phinphanbill26 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    This is probably due to a lack of potassium in your diet. Try bananas or dreid apricots....it works for me:smile::smile:
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Don't forget potassium like bananas, slip one into a protein shake post workout
  • livontuesday
    livontuesday Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Cramping can be caused by a lack of potassium and magnesium in your diet. You can try suppliments/vitamins or eat more bananas and squash. :) It also sounds like you work out a lot, consider that you could be overtraining.
  • mikejacobs1958
    Options
    Go into a health shop and ask, they will most probably suggest you try a vitamin supplement with potassium or magnesium.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    How much do you eat and how tall are you?
  • MrsPigz
    MrsPigz Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You could be lacking potassium, sodium, calcium, chloride, or phosphates in your blood. Which one you'll never know. Eat a banana, drink more water, add some calcium to your diet. One of these is usually the culprit…

Hope this helps!
  • Geetaji
    Geetaji Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I had problem with cramps at night time. Water is must and Vitamin D is helping me lot.. If I do not take for one week sure I will be shouting at night.
    Try it..
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Potassium is usually the source of muscle cramps (scientific point of view). We do drink a lot of water and for some folks that means flushing that potassium out of your system, there a lots of potassium sources besides banana's which many of us give up due to the high carbs. Just google high potassium foods. If that doesn't help, probably should consider chatting with your doctor, could be a circulation issue.
  • xxzimmer
    xxzimmer Posts: 37
    Options
    I agree, increased sodium and high potassium level are key to minimizing muscle cramping, especially with people who run 10+ miles/wk.
  • rawfull
    rawfull Posts: 178
    Options
    I agree, potassium and or magnesium...
  • Christilla15
    Options
    FYI, I also have dealt with share of cramps, I went to GNC and bought a product called Potassium Plus 99 for $6.00......since I work out 5 days a week and it's pretty hard work out, I take 2....hope this helps
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    So it sounds like everyone thinks it's a mineral deficiency. I will try a supplement...thanks for all of the advice.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Ditto on pottasium and magnesium. A great supplement is Hammer products - Endurolytes
    you can find them in most running stores. I use them a great deal in the warmer months as I am a big sweater and tend to have calf cramps, especially after hard or trail running days.
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Coffee is also a great source of potassium. MFP says we should be getting 3500 (mg, I am guessing) a day, and supplements only have 99, so it's important to try to find foods that are naturally high in potassium. I agree, too, that the culprit is probably a deficiency of some mineral(s). Said deficiency throws the electrolytes out of balance. Focus on getting more of the things people have mentioned in your diet, and my guess is that the cramps should subside.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Ditto on pottasium and magnesium. A great supplement is Hammer products - Endurolytes
    you can find them in most running stores. I use them a great deal in the warmer months as I am a big sweater and tend to have calf cramps, especially after hard or trail running days.

The Hammer products also have less sugar in them--a friend of mine uses them for her running workouts and swears by them!
  • KimH313
    KimH313 Posts: 162
    Options
    I had foot cramps forEVER, if i wore heels to work and then wore sneakers or uggs that night, guaranteed foot cramps. it became a pretty big issue when I wanted to work out, to the point where i bought black sneakers that I could wear to work and then to the gym just so I didnt have to switch shoes. What helped me, along with drinking a LOT of water, was Calcium and multivitamins. I hardly get them now and take both of those everyday. I got them mostly in my feet but also in my calves and legs, hands, even my neck a few times which was NOT fun. good luck i hope that works for you and soon you'll be cramp free! :)
  • sjv1966
    sjv1966 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    For a slightly different take -- I used to get cramps in my feet when I started ballet lessons and now after a year of classes I don't any more. I attribute this to the fact that the little muscles in my feet at first were just not strong enough for what I was asking them to do. So if you are doing much more exercising than you used to do (it sounds like you do a lot) it could be just your body trying to get used to the new level of activity.

And I agree about the vitamin thing!
  • nursenessa1
    nursenessa1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    It is an electrolyte imbalance. Without looking at your diet I couldn't tell you which one and niether could anybody else. All of the electrolytes mentioned above could be the culprit. Getting a CMP lab (blood) test would tell for sure but only on a day you are having them. Hard core sweaters could add a electrolyte powder to their water (gatoraide etc). i wouldn't go on any supplement without a check from your doctor. Many of these electrolytes regulate your heart and other things... :flowerforyou:
  • deaddawn
    deaddawn Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    It probably is a mineral deficiency as others have said. People who exercise and sweat a lot need more. A word of caution though. Consuming too much of minerals like potassium is not safe. Do your research on the effects. There is a reason why it's hard to find high potassium supplements. Increase gradually until the problem goes away. If there is no improvement as you increase, quit and make an appointment with a health care professional. If you don't go to the doctor now, next time you do, have some bloodwork done to check your levels.