Chinese Food

Options
I am going out for Chinese food this evening and have no clue what to order that would be some what good for me. I really want to eat good! Does anyone have any ideas for me??? My favorite is sweet n sour chicken and I know that is not on the menu for tonight. Help me please!!!:cry:

Replies

• tigerlilly24
    tigerlilly24 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I like beef and broccoli but chinese is hard because different places cook their foods in different sauces. Generally anything tofu and vegetarian is healthy but once again if they smother it in whatever brown salty sauce then that detracts from the healthy part. And definitley do brown rice instead of fried or white. Good luck and enjoy your dinner :)
  • katemadrigal
    Options
    If they have a sushi selection, and you like it, I would go for that over the traditional chinese food. But if you're left with general chinese, I'd go with wonton soup (to fill up), spring rolls, and brown rice. You'll more than likely have to request the brown rice because most places wont list it on their menu.

Good luck- and don't weigh in tomorrow...chinese food is loaded with sodium!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,962 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: stir fry veggies
    I usually order Buddhist Delight---wonderful veggies and a light sauce
    brown rice instead of white if you get a choice

All the sodium will make the scale go up the next day with retained fluid but if you go back to low sodium eating again it will go away.
  • meg0112
    meg0112 Posts: 344
    Options
    when I get Chinese I like to some soup- something broth based, egg drop usually isn't too may calories, or wonton (but only drink the broth) or Miso (by far lowest calories)- to start with then i order stemed veggies, brown rice and a side of what ever sauce im in the mood for. That way I can control how much sauce is in my meal. Yes, chinese food tends to be salty but load up on water and you'll be fine. Definately start with soup though, and try to use the chopsticks so you eat smaller bites.

Also, get in the database and look up different meals and their calories. Or just run a "chinese food" search on calorieking.com and figure out whats best for you. When I am eating out, I try to have a few options in my head before I get there, knowing the calorie count, and then decide from those what sounds the best. That way I feel like I have options. Also, try to order first at the table so you are persuaded by the orders of others.

Enjoy your meal!
  • meg0112
    Options
    and way to go barbiecat!!! you are so close to your goal, what an inspiration to us all :)
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    I always get sushi :love:

As always, avoid anything breaded/tempura/fried, don't eat too much rice or noodles, and stick to lean protein and veggies. If you could get some type of soup that could help you to eat less. Just be prepared for the tremendous amount of sodium that you will eat, and it will probably lead to a water gain tomorrow (but do not despair!). If they didn't have sushi, I would go for something like chicken and veggies in a light sauce or something like that. Enjoy your time spent with friends/family!
  • pepamint83
    pepamint83 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    1 key thing U can do is get the sauce on the side that way you control how much goes on the food. And when its on the side i dip my fork a little in the sauce so i only get a taste of the sauce the key also is not covering the food in sauce.

chicken and veggies
    chicken and broccoli
    chicken and string beans

i agree anything steamed not fried and brown rice not white rice. oh and i agree with the soup thing I always get hot and sour soup (wanton has the wontons so i stay away) that fills me up and i end up with half my dinner to take home for lunch for the next day. Starting with soup deffinetly fills you up.

And if those fried things they put on the table tempt you you can ask the waiter to take them away so you dont eat them.

but for me sauce on the side is key

hope that helps good luck i know you can do it.
  • Momma2four
    Momma2four Posts: 1,534
    Options
    my suggestion is have some chinese food. Do it in moderation. Taste it and enjoy yourself. DO NOT stuff yourself. This is a lifestyle change. Not a restriction. If you restrict your self you will make all these foods that much better and want them more. Eat in moderation and enjoy this 1 night out. Eat what you like. I have lost 42 pounds using this ideal. I do not eat Chinese food very often so when I do have it I eat what I like. Make sure the meal before and the meal after (next day) are good healthy and light.
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Are you eating "Family Style" with others?
    Then I would have small amounts, approx. 1/4 c. of several items to enjoy what everyone is eating.

Have brown rice if available & salad rolls instead of spring rolls (fried).
    Avoid any fried foods and adding extra soy sauce.

Eat light the next day & drink lots of water!

Most of all EnJoY :drinker: and don't worry too much........ :love: :flowerforyou:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    The Chinese restaurant I frequent is very good about honoring requests for no added salt and no msg. They have a seafood and vegetable soup that is EXCELLENT, and so big I get two meals out of it.

Egg drop or won ton soup is a good option, low in fat, and those little won tons are NOT that high in calories, so I say go ahead and enjoy them!! :drinker: This is a lifestyle change--not deprivation h&ll!!!

Not all Chinese restaurants have brown rice, so if you end up with white, enjoy a little. A cup of cooked white rice has about 200 calories, so plan accordingly. Veggies and tofu are always a good choice, the more veggies the merrier. As far as meats. Remember that sweet and sour pork and chicken, and General Tso's chicken usually have meat that is breaded and deep fried-so not good choices. Dishes like Happy Family have chicken, shrimp, pork, other seafood, and lots of veggies, and the meat and seafood is usually not deep fried.

I LOVE:heart: pan fried noodles, but they are NOT a good choice!!!:brokenheart: :sad: :sad: On a related note, fried rice is NOT your friend--due to fat and sodium.

As for those who mentioned Sushi...I am not a Sushi eater, but I think that this is usually not found in Chinese restaurants, since I believe it is actually a Japanese dish.

Drink as much water:drinker: as you can and that will help with any extra sodium that is unavoidable. Watch for the soy sauce, as it is loaded with sodium, and don't be afraid to ask for no added salt, sauce on the side, etc. and most of all.... ENJOY your dinner out and the company you are with!!:drinker: :drinker:
  • meg0112
    Options
    i definately agree with the advice to enjoy yourself. Remember that you are going out to enjoy the company of the people you are with, not to stuff your face. Focus on the conversation and what you are gaining from your interactions with others.

Ask questions too. Ask if things are breaded or fried and if they can not be. If sweet and sour is your thing, get it but ask that the chicken be "naked" and add in some veggies so you eat less rice. Also, low sodium soy sauce is almost always an option.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    My favorite Chinese restaurant has a "lighter fare" menu that has no msg & lower sodium. All of the food is steamed, lean meat/seafood with lots of veggies and has sauce on the side. Very reasonable in the calorie dept. and since you can control the amount of sauce, it can be low in sodium as well. It's also really tasty! :love:
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    some places offer "diet" dishes with no sugar cornstarch etc. ask if they have brown rice and of course the old stand by..ask for a box immediately....to take home what you shouldnt eat.