Not too sure how I feel about Greek yogurt...

Options
HeavyLiftGirl
HeavyLiftGirl Posts: 1,267 Member
I tried it for the first time this morning, and it's a little weird. Maybe it's because I'm so used to regular yogurt. But-- when I put the first spoonful in my mouth, it dried out my tongue! It was a very strange sensation. I bought the Yoplait Greek 2X Protein kind.

Does anyone else not like Greek yogurt or do you love it? If you do love it, is there a brand you recommend?

Replies

• caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i love it, i just wish it was lower in carbs. even the plain is half my daily allotment.
  • josyjozy
    josyjozy Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    The first time I tried it, I thought it was weird, but after a few days, I love it. I never eat plain though, always strawberry or blueberry. I have had Okios (Dannon) and Aldi brand. Both are good.
  • doggiesnot
    doggiesnot Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I like yogurt but not Greek yogurt. My favorite are the whips, mixed in a smoothie with protein powder, milk, banana. :drinker:
  • jregan00
    jregan00 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I havent tried Greek yogurt yet but its on my to do list.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I love it! But I have also had kinds that I didn't love so much. I really like Chobani
  • evaleung87
    evaleung87 Posts: 38
    Options
    I really like the activia greek style golden honey. yum!!
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Try Fage, it's much thicker, richer in my opinion than most. Chobani is a close second.
  • pinklily905
    pinklily905 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I've tried Greek yogurt and just can not get past the taste and, yes, the way it feels like its drying my mouth out and coats my whole mouth. Just can not do it...not even in smoothies or shakes.
  • MelissaE27
    MelissaE27 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I love it... but as another poster said I wish the carbs were lower.. but I have it as a treat occassionally :)
  • BryGuy2
    BryGuy2 Posts: 244
    Options
    I've tried Greek Yogurt only once. I bough the plain flavor and mixed in blueberries. I noticed it dried my tongue as well and it was very sour. It wasnt bad, but i'm pretty sure i'd rather stay with plain rogurt unless someone can convince me otherwise haha!
  • JlSimon22
    JlSimon22 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I like the consistency of Fage 0% the best. It's kind of thick, so its better to mix it with a "juicy" fruit such as peaches, strawberries, etc. and mix it so the juice of the fruit mixes well. It'll cut the taste of the yogurt.

It's also really good with some honey and almonds or honey and apples. The honey will also cut how sour it can taste.

It's also a great sour cream substitute for anything you'd typically use sour cream with-
  • HeavyLiftGirl
    Options
    I've tried Greek Yogurt only once. I bough the plain flavor and mixed in blueberries. I noticed it dried my tongue as well and it was very sour. It wasnt bad, but i'm pretty sure i'd rather stay with plain rogurt unless someone can convince me otherwise haha!
    That too-- VERY sour. BLECK!

Thanks everyone! I will maybe try one or two more brands, and if it still is weird to me, I will just stick with regular ol' boring yogurt. ;)
  • HeavyLiftGirl
    Options
    I like yogurt but not Greek yogurt. My favorite are the whips, mixed in a smoothie with protein powder, milk, banana. :drinker:
    This sounds pretty good! Maybe I will do this instead. Thank you!
  • _Mimi_
    _Mimi_ Posts: 233
    Options
    I LOVE Fage 0%! I use it as sour cream. I mix it with a little dijion as a sandwich spread. I add fruit and a little honey for a delicious snack. I add frozen berries and it reminds me of ice cream.

I am definitely a lover! I only buy the plain, and add whatever I want to make it taste the way I want.

Like everything, look at the stats. Just because it's yogurt doesn't mean it's low calorie...and doesn't mean there isn't a lot of added yucky stuff!
  • meturpen
    meturpen Posts: 4
    Options
    I am not a huge fan of yogurt of any kind. I have tried the Greek and I kind of like it better because the consistency reminds me of sour cream (which, unfortunately, I do love). I buy Fage, and I get the plain. I use it to replace sour cream for baked potatoes, or add some garlic or onion salt to make a dip. If I want it sweet, I add a little vanilla extract and Splenda for a fruit dip. I still don't love it, but it's tolerable.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I would suggest putting oats or some kind of fruit in it. Experiment with different foods. I don't like it plain.
  • zgdsmith
    zgdsmith Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I never really liked yogurt but I wanted to start eating greek yogurt because it's something I can easily eat once I get to work. I tried a bunch of different kinds and i like Chobani blueberry the best. It's 14 grams of protein. Chobani other flavors are pretty good also. I also like it because it's the only yogurt i've found that says "only natural ingredients".

here are the nutrition facts:
    cal: 140g
    fat: 0g
    Carbs: 20g
    Protein: 14g
    Sugar: 20g
  • MalSponseller
    MalSponseller Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I love Greek yogurt. It dries my mouth out a bit, too, and is a little more sour than regular yogurt. But I LOVE it. It takes some time to get used to, but now I just can't allow myself to have regular yogurt anymore. Plain Greek yogurt's really good in smoothies, too, and the Fage and Oikos fruit ones are so good!
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    It is definitely an aquired taste! It took me awhile to like it, and the plain flavors definitely need some honey or agave to sweeten it up. I like Fage and Chobani for mixing in smoothies and recipes (it supposed to be a great replacement for sour cream in recipes), but for the little flavored cups, I prefer Dannon Oikos. It's much creamier than the other brands. That being said, I have not tried the Yoplait.
  • smiley245
    smiley245 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Maybe add fruits (berries go very well) and some honey to help smooth out the flavor?
    Im a lover, love greek yogurt. So thick and creamy, like eating a real full fat yogurt. But healthier:smile:
    Love the lemon or lime flavored ones. I also eat it plain with add in or in place of sour cream