Carb chart?

Options
I am starting over (again) and this time I've decided to count carbs. I've looked at many websites and have checked the South Beach Diet book and NOWHERE can I find a chart regarding the amount of carbs a person should consume in relation to her statistics. My stats are:

Weight: 250
Height: 5'2"

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• doodlesll
    doodlesll Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello, when you start tracking your food it has a list of Carbs, fat, protein, etc. Maybe that will help.
    doodlesll
  • Caralyn
    Caralyn Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your reply. I haven't done any tracking online for awhile but what I'm really wondering is.....HOW MANY carbs should I be allowing myself?
  • Shelley130
    Options
    I personally don't think low carb diets are very healthy and they are usually very hard to stick to and a lot of people I know (myself included) gained all the weight back plus some....

But the answer is :

* The answer varies according to levels of activity. The usual low carbohydrate range is 20 to 50 grams daily. Determine how strict you need to be; the best way is to experiment and discover what amount works well for you as an individual. Sometimes it can be as high as 70 grams. However, 70 grams is very generous and usually only for those who are engaging in regular weight training in addition to cardio exercise.
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Hey Caralyn - this website should help you bunches!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-primal-carbohydrate-continuum/

And Shelley - I completely disagree, there are no studies that prove low carb is any less healthy than high carb. Low carb also does NOT have to mean ketosis. Ketosis normally occurs when one eats below 50 carbs/day. Between 50 - 100g/day is actually optimum healthy weight loss carb intake.

Caralyn, remember carbs affect your blood sugar, so when counting carbs, remember to choose low GI foods (complex carbs) and you should be more concerns with how many you are eating each meal, rather than how many you eat each day. I personally don't have more than 30/meal and 20/snack, and then no more than 80/day.

Hope that helps! Feel free to PM me anytime. I am a true believer in a lowER carb lifestyle. :smile:
  • jessicajoy87
    Options
    I personally don't think low carb diets are very healthy and they are usually very hard to stick to and a lot of people I know (myself included) gained all the weight back plus some....

But the answer is :

* The answer varies according to levels of activity. The usual low carbohydrate range is 20 to 50 grams daily. Determine how strict you need to be; the best way is to experiment and discover what amount works well for you as an individual. Sometimes it can be as high as 70 grams. However, 70 grams is very generous and usually only for those who are engaging in regular weight training in addition to cardio exercise.

I COMPLETELY AGREE. The MINIMUM amount of carbohydrates you are supposed to have a day is 100.
  • Caralyn
    Caralyn Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I thank each of you for your information - I appreciate anything that I can find out and wish me luck!!

Caralyn
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I thank each of you for your information - I appreciate anything that I can find out and wish me luck!!

Caralyn

Welcome to a wonderful land of many ideas and beliefs! Many people have lost weight in their own way and some have very strong feelings about how to do it. Please know each and every one is right...........it worked for them!!

For me I have tried for many years to lose weight. I hiked up my protein and watched my whites-sugar, bread, pasta, rice.

This time I did it!!

Good luck. If you have any questions, feel free to PM!!

:heart: Jeannie
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Ditto on that. Usually low carb is considered anything below 20% (although some same 40%). The key is to finding your carb threshold. It may be in the moderate range for me it was 25-35%. You may want to check out a low carb website or check out some other books for help. Lioness had some excellent resources however I haven't seen her post in a while

If you would like I will send you some resources I have.

Ivy

Caralyn

Welcome to a wonderful land of many ideas and beliefs! Many people have lost weight in their own way and some have very strong feelings about how to do it. Please know each and every one is right...........it worked for them!!

For me I have tried for many years to lose weight. I hiked up my protein and watched my whites-sugar, bread, pasta, rice.

This time I did it!!

Good luck. If you have any questions, feel free to PM!!

:heart: Jeannie
  • slightingscale
    slightingscale Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    There's a Low-Carbers group in the Motivation & Support section.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/71368-low-carb-ers-challenge-part-7-welcome-all