Not too sure how I feel about Greek yogurt...

Options

Replies

• JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I second the comment on replacing sour cream with plain greek. You can also sneak it in to replace some or all of the mayo in tuna or chicken salad.

I like Chobani and Fage plain, mixed with fruit and coconut or almond milk in a smoothie. If I am going to eat it versus drinking it in a smoothie, I will sometimes add a little turbinado sugar. Even though that adds calories/carbs, I like being in control of how much sugar I am consuming, and I can get by with a lot less sugar than I could when I first started eating it. I like the flavored kinds, but it skews the sugar/protein ratios. Plain Chobani has something like 9 grams of sugar and 22 grams protein in a cup. The flavored 6 oz. containers have 17 grams of sugar and only 14 or 15 grams of protein on average...twice the sugar and about 1/3 less protein. If you start with plain and add sugar/fruit, you can gradually decrease the additives to get your palate used to it.
  • mcknight28
    mcknight28 Posts: 44
    Options
    I LOVE Greek yogurt! But I don't like it plain. So what I do is buy plain greek yogurt, and add honey. Or use it i place of sour cream. Also mix peanut butter with the yogurt, add a bit of honey makes a awesome fruit dip. Or you can take a pack of powered ranch style dressing, and add that to the greek yogurt with a bit of milk and you have a veggie dip or salad dressing YUM! You can also make protein cheese cake with greek yogurt. So many different options. I buy the 0% kind, Hope this helps. Pinterest has some great ideas : )
  • HeavyLiftGirl
    HeavyLiftGirl Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Maybe add fruits (berries go very well) and some honey to help smooth out the flavor?
    I bought strawberry, but maybe I need to try adding the honey. Thanks for the idea!
  • HeavyLiftGirl
    Options
    And using it to replace sour cream is a very good idea. I am typically a sour cream *kitten*. I can't resist. ;)o
  • maggiepz
    maggiepz Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I like the Chobani Champions. They are for kids so they are small servings and the perfect size if you are watching carbs. LOVE the berry
  • to_the_surface
    Options
    I was skeptical at first. Now it's a staple in my grocery list.

1/4 cup of Fage Greek natural yoghurt
    tsp of honey
    zest of a lime

whip vigorously till smoothie consistency

One of the tastiest healthiest snacks in my recipe book.

Same base, add any nuts/cereal/granola/fresh fruit/dry fruit and it could be a meal per se.

Use on baked potatoes/fajitas instead of sour cream.

Very versatile food.
  • HeavyLiftGirl
    Options
    I was skeptical at first. Now it's a staple in my grocery list.

1/4 cup of Fage Greek natural yoghurt
    tsp of honey
    zest of a lime

whip vigorously till smoothie consistency

One of the tastiest healthiest snacks in my recipe book.

Same base, add any nuts/cereal/granola/fresh fruit/dry fruit and it could be a meal per se.

Use on baked potatoes/fajitas instead of sour cream.

Very versatile food.
    Mmmmmmm, yummy! Sounds awesome!
  • jones137
    jones137 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Try Fage, it's much thicker, richer in my opinion than most. Chobani is a close second.

Fage is my favorite as well. Pretty low sugar and very high protein. The plain has around 20grams of protein......I then mix some fresh fruit in.
  • LeslePG
    LeslePG Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    It took a while to grow on me, but I love the Fage 0% nonfat. I also use it as sour cream, and love to put some of the Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix (in the packet) for a veggie dip. When I eat it otherwise, I have to put in a packet of Splenda and have a parfait with strawberries and blueberries, with a sprinkle of granola on top. Great breakfast for about 200 calories:happy:
  • GabriellaMaria
    GabriellaMaria Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I tried it for the first time this morning, and it's a little weird. Maybe it's because I'm so used to regular yogurt. But-- when I put the first spoonful in my mouth, it dried out my tongue! It was a very strange sensation. I bought the Yoplait Greek 2X Protein kind.

Does anyone else not like Greek yogurt or do you love it? If you do love it, is there a brand you recommend?
    best yoghurt ever, 0% greek yoghurt..omg, so creamy, and i add fruit and sweetner, was deliciious, and didnt dry in my mouth, felt like i as eating a really yummy dessert, didnt look at the card value though..::happy: :smile: :smile: :smile:
  • butterflylover527
    butterflylover527 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I wanted to like it sooo bad but I just dont :/
  • sabolfitwife
    sabolfitwife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time eating it alone also. I usually throw a little granola and some fruit on top, but generally I buy it just to put in the blender when I make smoothies, you can't taste it after it's been liquefied :-)
  • andrearaquel48
    andrearaquel48 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I love the stuff! Do you have Trader Joes nearby? They have a great Greek yogurt. I use it in smoothies and mix with fruit or granola. I also often have Fage 0% or Dannon Oikos with the fruit included as a dessert (so I don't feel bad if it has more sugar than the plain, because I'm eating it instead of ice cream or cookies :-):smile:
  • RenfieldX
    RenfieldX Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm a recent convert to greek yogurt. I prefer the plain, as I find the flavoured ones to be too sweet for my tastes. I mix in some fresh mixed berries, and some home made granola or All-Bran buds. It definitely a big change from the regular yogurt that I used to eat, but I like the increased protein content in the greek, and find that it's much more filling.
  • Mindmovesbody
    Mindmovesbody Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    LOVE IT!!! The first time I tried it I loathed it. I thought it was disgusting!!! Definitely get the fruit on the bottom kinds...so much better! I like Chobani, love Dannon and I like our store brand Wegmans. VERY GOOD and definitely worth you giving it another try!
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Basically, Greek yogurt is just regular yogurt with less water, it's concentrated. That's why the protein content is higher and maybe why you felt that "drying" sensation. I can eat it plain but prefer to add stuff like fruit, cereal, honey, nuts, etc. to the plain. Fage 0% is my go to brand/variety.
  • charmingcee
    charmingcee Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I've only tried Chobani brand and I am in love with the pineapple flavor. The other Chobani flavors are great too but the pineapple is my fav by far!!! And It calms my cravings for sweets!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I like the Oikos brand. I loved it the moment I tried it. Best yogurt ever, imo. I got the one with fruit at the bottom. Fruit and yogurt is so yummy! :smile:
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I like Fage and Chobani plain. Be sure you check the labels - some brands of "greek yogurt" (dannon and yoplait, I know) have a lot of extra ingredients that don't need to be there.
  • gloriapiz55
    gloriapiz55 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Fage is my fave, I initially tried chobani and did not like it, a friend of mine suggested I try the fage brand, love the Strawberry, Strawberry w/gogi, Blueberry, mango guanabana.. just love these... so good!!!