Climbing Wall

Options
I really want to take a class at my gym for rock climbing. The thing is, I just don't have much upper body strength. I've been working on it for six months now, and I'm up to 50-60 pounds on most upper body exercises, although triceps and biceps are stubbornly stuck at 40 pounds. My legs are strong, and I can do my body weight on the leg press easily.
I don't want to take this class if I'm not strong enough to do it. But I don't know how strong I need to be. I'm petrified that I'll pay up for the class, get there and get strapped up, only to find that I'm still too weak to actually pull myself up.
What do you think? Hit the weights for another six months first, or might be able to do it?

Replies

• trianaw
    trianaw Posts: 177
    Options
    I really want to take a class at my gym for rock climbing. The thing is, I just don't have much upper body strength. I've been working on it for six months now, and I'm up to 50-60 pounds on most upper body exercises, although triceps and biceps are stubbornly stuck at 40 pounds. My legs are strong, and I can do my body weight on the leg press easily.
    I don't want to take this class if I'm not strong enough to do it. But I don't know how strong I need to be. I'm petrified that I'll pay up for the class, get there and get strapped up, only to find that I'm still too weak to actually pull myself up.
    What do you think? Hit the weights for another six months first, or might be able to do it?

Try less reps w/a heavier weight. You'll get there!
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Climbing is not about upper body strength. In fact, if they'll teach you how to climb there, you'll notice it's pretty much all legs. You steady with the arms, but you push with your legs. Otherwise your arms will fatigue before you're halfway to the top of the wall. Talk to some climbers who have done it before for some techniques on how to climb efficiently so that you don't fatigue your arms. They can show you LOTS!

ETA: You said your legs are strong... That's really all you need. Grip strength only improves if you climb, but you don't need to have super strong arms to climb. I've climbed before on a real face and it was my first time doing it. I didn't train my arms or anything for it. As long as they teach you proper technique in that class, you will do just fine. Enjoy it!!! I'm super jealous!!
  • natpalit
    natpalit Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Yep, I agree, I went bouldering indoors the other day, with my bf. I am INCREDIBLY weak in my upper body; I cannot do a single full push up, let alone things like pull ups. But I was much better than my bf who can pull up his entire body weight.
    Initially climbing is all about technique and problem solving. In fact, women's flexibility can sometimes be an advantage, because it means you can get you arms and legs to holds that guys cannot.
    I would say definitely go for it, it is really fun, and a great workout, and something really different. Plus it sounds like you're much stronger than I am, so you will surely be able to do it!
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Bumpin for more input/advice!

And thanks to everyone that has already added, I appreciate the vote of confidence :)