Logging the unknown

Options
ezavora
ezavora Posts: 59 Member
How do you deal with logging meals you have no idea of? Tonight in the last minute I was invited to a friends for dinner and chose to do that instead of staying home and eating what I planned. alone. It was healthy and I ate in moderation, but how do I log it? The biggest problem is that I am new to where I am living and the foods are foreign to me. I can say the main ingredient, like potato and cabbage, but the sauces?????? no clue! I have a general idea of the calories I consumed but not the breakdown of nutrition. Im new to MFP and really want to be honest and track what I am eating, good and bad. What do you do in a situation like this? I did ask the polite "wow, this is so good, what's in it?" and got a generic answer with only a little insight, but not enough to know what to log. HELP

Replies

• KLB960
    KLB960 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    How do you log the unknown in excercise like Zumba?
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    That one is tricky. You could find something that is close to it. Or just guesstimate how many calories it was an do the quick add. You won't get the fat, sodium, etc, but you will still log the calories.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    How do you log the unknown in excercise like Zumba?

Google Zumba calculator and then add it as a new exercise in MFP.
  • robynj88
    robynj88 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    It depends on how often this happens to you. If it's a rare occurence and you're pretty sure you know how many calories you add just do the "quick add calories" option and put them in. Maybe add a few more just to cover your bases.

If it's going to happen often, you're just going to have to tell your friends that you log your food and could they tell you what went into it. I did this once round my in-laws and it actually struck up an interesting conversation about how they often think foods are higher/lower in calories than they turn out to be.
  • arl29
    arl29 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have had a few meals like that but I try not to get too frustrated. Just keep track as best as you can through the rest of the week. It happens and it's not the end of the world. :)
    If you want to know what to log, I go ahead and assume that I ate my 1200 on days like that. Keep on trucking! I always figure that one meal, or even one day, will not cause that bad of a set back. Hope this helps a little!
  • Patovader
    Patovader Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it, just make an educated guess and move on to tomorrow :)
  • plafleur76
    plafleur76 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    For the OP, I would just Google the name of the gravy and major foods and just do your best to estimate the calories.
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Next time ask what the dishes are called, all kinds of exotic stuff in in the database . . .sometimes many different versions.