Squats question

Options
Hi, all--

I'm trying to incorporate more weight training into my workouts and have started doing squats, sometimes with weights. I've noticed that when I dip low (as I think you are supposed to, right?) my knees make a faint crunching sound. Nothing painful or even uncomfortable--there's just a crunch in both knees.

Might this be perfectly OK and normal, or am I about to wreck my knees? I've never had any knee or joint trouble in all my years of running, and I don't want to start now.

Thanks for any advice.

Replies

• rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Mine kind of grind too, but haven't had any ill effects. Curious what others say.
  • camelgirlmn
    camelgirlmn Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Mine always crack. Nothing bad thou
  • Dawnhasajeep
    Dawnhasajeep Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Mine do it to and I asked my Chiropractor who specialized in sports about it and he said it was normal. If it starts to hurt though I would get it checked out. Also make sure your knees are not going past your toes and your toes are turned out slightly. This will keep you from injuring your Meniscus over time.
  • rebecca_d35
    rebecca_d35 Posts: 131
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I will pay more attention to knees and toes next time.
  • wolf23
    wolf23 Posts: 4,165 Member
    Options
    You also want to make sure your knees and toes are pointing in the same direction either when you are plies' or regular squats.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    If you're going to start squatting, make sure you get a fair amount of lower back and hamstring work in. This will help balance out how the weight is balanced and make you stronger in the squat.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    look up 'so you think yo ucan squat' on youtube. it's illuminating.
  • DoOrDoNotThereIsNoTry1
    DoOrDoNotThereIsNoTry1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are squatting as if you were trying to sit in a seat behind you. Also, it is extremely important that your knees do not come over your toes. If this happens, you will definitely put strain on your knees, specifically your patella tendon. Was one of my rehab exercises while recovering from ACL surgery. I got yelled at all the time...it does make a huge difference. And as jNick said, definitely need to work the hamstrings as well.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

Fo' shizzle!
    Make sure you are squatting as if you were trying to sit in a seat behind you. Also, it is extremely important that your knees do not come over your toes. If this happens, you will definitely put strain on your knees, specifically your patella tendon. Was one of my rehab exercises while recovering from ACL surgery. I got yelled at all the time...it does make a huge difference. And as jNick said, definitely need to work the hamstrings as well.

Unfortunately most lifters don't realize how important the lower back and hammies are with the squat and even deadlift and neglect those muscles. I can't remember the exact statistic, but most failed squat attempts are the result of the lower back not being strong enough, not the quads.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I work out my hamstrings and lower back by doing squats and deadlifts, not as a pre-requisite for doing them.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

Unfortunately most lifters don't realize how important the lower back and hammies are with the squat and even deadlift and neglect those muscles. I can't remember the exact statistic, but most failed squat attempts are the result of the lower back not being strong enough, not the quads.

This is EXACTLY the stall I have with squats right now. Legs, no problem. Lower back.... crunch. You can tell these people easy, they do a mini good-morning before coming back up.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    It could just be nitrogen (the air) under ur joints.. like when u pop ur knuckles. If it's not painful, I wouldn't stress it. If it is painful, don't hesitate to see a doctor.

Hezz
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    All of my joints pop and make noises. It's annoying and gross feeling to me. It interupts my workout... Lol
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options

It is......but you have to remember the vast majority off stuff elite fts puts out is geared towards not only those who are going to powerlift, but those who will compete in lifting gear. Not everything will be relevant for your average trainee. It's a good series though.
  • loseslarge
    loseslarge Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    The 'crunching' noise you are hearing is likely crepitus (check the Mayo Clinic website for a definition). Not a big deal unless it begins to hurt.

Another trick for keeping proper form and posture - try looking towards the ceiling when you lift.
  • MalSponseller
    MalSponseller Posts: 217 Member
    Options

Ahhh, is this why I was having pain in my back when I attempted dumbbell deadlifts the other day? Won't be trying them again until the boyfriend is home to spot me.
  • steadk
    steadk Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    its probably air pockets that naturally form in joints (the same air that "pops" when you crack knuckles). I wouldn't worry about it unless you start feeling pain with it :)
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Ahhh, is this why I was having pain in my back when I attempted dumbbell deadlifts the other day? Won't be trying them again until the boyfriend is home to spot me.

You don't need a spotter with dumbbells. Just drop them. :laugh:
  • MalSponseller
    MalSponseller Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Even if I drop the dumbbells, the simple movement from a deadlift hurts my back. I need him there to spot me to see if it's my form that's off or if I'm just being a wimpy beginner at strength training.