Vitamins and Supplements?

Options
My husband and I have been researching what vitamins and supplements we should be taking while losing weight, but I want some advise from some of you guys who have been doing this for a while. What do you recommend?

Replies

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I think the general consensus is a good multivitamin might be a good idea, but probably isn't necessary if you are eating the right things. Other things like BCAA, CLA, Omega-3, etc. have mixed reviews - some people swear by them, others say you are wasting your money, but, at least for the 3 I mentioned, I have not seen anything negative about them (aside from wasting money!).

As for supplements, the only thing I use is a whey protein supplement for after workouts if I haven't had enough protein that day. I think it is better to get your protein naturally if you can, but a good protein shake is better than not enough protein.
  • CoriGayle
    CoriGayle Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    We eat bananas for protein, but I'm sure that's not enough. I will usually eat at least 2 bananas during the day. I feel like I'm cheating when I eat a banana cause they are so darn good haha :wink: But what other foods would you recommend for protein? I will definitely have to look into a protein shakes. That's something I've never taken.

We did buy a B complex vitamin for energy, but I felt like I started plateauing pretty bad while I was taking it. It could have been the Omega-3 we were taking too. But I stopped taking the Omega-3 because I felt I was eating enough fish to compensate for that.

Is there any vitamins or food that help with skin elasticity? I am still young enough and take care of my skin to where it shouldn't be a problem, but I was just curious about any vitamins or foods that give you an extra boost in that area.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I take a daily multivitamin with niacin
    Omega-3
    CoQ10
    Vitamin D <---- THIS one is VERY important. I take about 5,000 IU's a day even in the summer.
    Calcium supplement
    Low dose aspirin

That's just the main ones that I take. I also take various other vitamins for heart health, mitochondria support, eye health. I take my vitamins breakfast, lunch, dinner and before bed.
  • CoriGayle
    Options
    Awesome, thanks :smile:

I've heard of all of them but the CoQ10. What is that? And what does the Vitamin D do?
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    We eat bananas for protein, but I'm sure that's not enough. I will usually eat at least 2 bananas during the day. I feel like I'm cheating when I eat a banana cause they are so darn good haha :wink: But what other foods would you recommend for protein? I will definitely have to look into a protein shakes. That's something I've never taken.

We did buy a B complex vitamin for energy, but I felt like I started plateauing pretty bad while I was taking it. It could have been the Omega-3 we were taking too. But I stopped taking the Omega-3 because I felt I was eating enough fish to compensate for that.

Is there any vitamins or food that help with skin elasticity? I am still young enough and take care of my skin to where it shouldn't be a problem, but I was just curious about any vitamins or foods that give you an extra boost in that area.

Um, protein = meat.

Are you thinking potassium? That's what you get from bananas.

I take a daily, calcium with D3, Biotin, B12, Omega 3, and Magnesium.
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Awesome, thanks :smile:

I've heard of all of them but the CoQ10. What is that? And what does the Vitamin D do?

The Vitamin D helps your body actually absorb the Calcium. It can't do that without the D. At least, that's as I understand it.
  • GauchoMark
    Options
    no offense, but bananas are a horrible choice for a protein source. I would not even consider them a protein source. They are great for exercise recovery, but not protein.

As for the other stuff - the omega-3 is more for cardiovascular health and unless you are eating fatty fish like salmon, mackerel, and trout, the other types of fish don't have much omega-3.

The skin elasticity thing is debatable, but I don't think there is anything proven that works - more like opinions.

Not to sound rude, but are you sure you are not just trying to find a magic pill to take to help you lose weight instead of just setting a good calorie deficit plan and working for it? Most of these dietary supplements are meant for bodybuilders and athletes that have their diets fine-tuned to the point that they know exactly what they need to do. For regular people just trying to lose weight, I don't think the effects are measurable. The fact that you are using bananas as a protein source implies to me that you really don't understand nutrition and probably don't need to be messing with pills.
  • CoriGayle
    Options
    HAHA!!! YES!!! This shows how well I know vitamins :laugh: Thanks for the information!!
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I take two Flintstones Complete chewables everyday :laugh: My nutritionist said it has everything I need and it doesn't have anything I don't need and they are fun to eat. I try to get most of my nutrition from my food, but when I don't get enough protein I'll use a protein suppliment.
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Read: http://4chanfit.wikia.com/wiki/Harsh's_Worksheet_(WIP)

Scroll down to the supplements section.
  • CoriGayle
    Options
    No, I'm definitely not trying to speed up or find a magic pill to lose weight, I've just always heard I'm supposed to take vitamins when I'm losing weight. Since people have been noticing my weight loss, everyone has been giving their advice and now I'm starting to get confused. If vitamins aren't necessary, then I definitely don't want to waste the money on them. And I was just confused on the potassium and protein thing. I got them mixed up in my head. They both start with P and I have not clue what I'm talking about anyway. Sorry
  • GauchoMark
    Options
    No, I'm definitely not trying to speed up or find a magic pill to lose weight, I've just always heard I'm supposed to take vitamins when I'm losing weight.

Fair enough. That said, I'd just take a multivitamin (I take Muscle Pharm's Armour V, but just find one you like) and use the protein supplement on an as needed basis to balance out your carb-heavy days.
  • CoriGayle
    Options
    I take two Flintstones Complete chewables everyday :laugh: My nutritionist said it has everything I need and it doesn't have anything I don't need and they are fun to eat. I try to get most of my nutrition from my food, but when I don't get enough protein I'll use a protein suppliment.

My kids take those :) I took them when I was a kid too lol Thanks for the info
  • murphy612
    Options
    No, I'm definitely not trying to speed up or find a magic pill to lose weight, I've just always heard I'm supposed to take vitamins when I'm losing weight. Since people have been noticing my weight loss, everyone has been giving their advice and now I'm starting to get confused. If vitamins aren't necessary, then I definitely don't want to waste the money on them. And I was just confused on the potassium and protein thing. I got them mixed up in my head. They both start with P and I have not clue what I'm talking about anyway. Sorry

In my opinion unless a doctor has diagnosed you with some sort of vitamin deficiency or you have some type of health concern that requires increasing a certain vitamin/mineral, just a plain old standard multi-vitamin will work find when you are loosing weight. Sometimes when cutting calories you might miss out on some nutrients so a multi is a good idea. Don't spend a bunch of money on stuff you don't need.
  • CoriGayle
    Options

I will definitely check this out later. Thanks for the info :)
  • murphy612
    Options

My kids take those :) I took them when I was a kid too lol Thanks for the info

hehehe take those! They are inexpensive too :) But the nutritionist did warn me not to take the gummy ones, they are missing something adults need (I can't remember what though). Good luck with your weight loss!
  • CoriGayle
    Options
    Thanks for all the info guys. I have definitely proven that I do not know anything about vitamins or supplements! You have helped me a lot. I guess a regular old multi-vitamin is what I should be taking. :smile:
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I also take vitamin D. 2000 IU in summer, 4000 IU in winter. it is very important to help prevent disease and it has helped my mood a lot! I was so irritable when my Vitamin D was low. Now it's in the normal range and I feel so much better! also would recommend omega 3's (either fish oil or flaxseed oil) and a multivitamin. i take some others but not everyone needs those!