Feeling insecure about 110 lbs

Options
Anyone else reaching what they consider to be a small amount on the scale but is unsatisfied?

you can click on my MFP profile pictures....I don't use photobucket.

This is what 110 lbs looks like on me. I'm 5'5''. Honestly, when I previously thought of "110 lbs" I pictured someone who was emaciated. When I started MFP I weighed 116 and I actually thought I would just tone up, build sexy-looking muscle but not lose any weight. I didn't have any goal for weight-loss and didn't care about my weight.

Well I did end up losing these 6 lbs inadvertently. But I don't think I look all that impressive. I saw the number on the scale last week and I started checking and rechecking the accuracy of my scale. I guess it's right...

But I think I'm not skin-and-bones at all. I mean I even still have cellulite. I certainly understand that I'm not overweight, but...I mean I still have CELLULITE! I do squats and dead lifts....

Now that I'm seeing these lack-luster results...things have changed for me. Now suddenly I want to get to 105 to see if that will look better. Anyone else feeling anything like this?

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    You don't need Photobucket to put pictures in your post.
  • LeslePG
    LeslePG Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    First of all, 110 looks great on you, you look healthy! Iam also 5'5" and can't imagine being at 110 again. As for the cellulite, sadly a lot of it is hereditary and no amount of exercise can get rid of it (I have found this out the hard way!) and losing the weight usually won't help. I think you look amazing at your current weight, don't be so hard on yourself :flowerforyou:
  • abbylg1983
    abbylg1983 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Yeah I know exactly how you feel. I am 5'3 and 113 pounds and people say I'm crazy when I say I want to lose 10 pounds (actually I don't really care what I lose, I just want to tone up, but I have a layer of fat over my midsection and I'm guessing I'd have to lose 10 pounds of fat, I wouldn't care if I lost the fat but gained muscle weight).

But height and weight don't tell the whole story and everyone has different ideas of what their ideal body would look like. As long as you are eating healthy and eating enough I don't think anyone should judge you for wanting to lose more weight.

Looking at your stats though- you joined in June and have lost 6 pounds since then? That's a pretty rapid weight loss for someone who was already pretty fit.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Strength training. :)
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options

^ I think you look quite good as you are, but if you want to tone up, I'm thinking hitting the weights might be a better idea than just trying to make the scale go down.
  • RuthieCass
    RuthieCass Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Anyone else reaching what they consider to be a small amount on the scale but is unsatisfied?

you can click on my MFP profile pictures....I don't use photobucket.

This is what 110 lbs looks like on me. I'm 5'5''. Honestly, when I previously thought of "110 lbs" I pictured someone who was emaciated. When I started MFP I weighed 116 and I actually thought I would just tone up, build sexy-looking muscle but not lose any weight. I didn't have any goal for weight-loss and didn't care about my weight.

Well I did end up losing these 6 lbs inadvertently. But I don't think I look all that impressive. I saw the number on the scale last week and I started checking and rechecking the accuracy of my scale. I guess it's right...

But I think I'm not skin-and-bones at all. I mean I even still have cellulite. I certainly understand that I'm not overweight, but...I mean I still have CELLULITE! I do squats and dead lifts....

Now that I'm seeing these lack-luster results...things have changed for me. Now suddenly I want to get to 105 to see if that will look better. Anyone else feeling anything like this?

This sounds like you are on the start to an unhealthy path. 110 at your height is bordering on underweight. The appearance of cellulite can be minimized by fat loss, but is unfortunately largely due to your genetics. Many women with very little body fat will still have cellulite. And I will tell you right now that I can guarantee that your cellulite isn't as bad as you think it is.

It also seems like you may have a distorted body image, as many women do. You look quite thin in your pics and I think I'd have to work very hard to notice your cellulite. I would recommend that you try to work on having a healthier view of yourself and not trying to get the "perfect" (in your mind) body. Maybe you should also take up some weight training and increase your calories a bit to gain some muscle (or at least eat at maintenance). Part of the problem might be, if you lost those 6 lbs rapidly, you may have lost a bit of muscle along with fat.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    You have a thigh gap, youre definitely not wobbly.

However, if you want to harden up and put muscle on, pick heavy things up, put them down again. Repeat around 5 times :)
    Increase your eating, lift heavy, and you'll start to become more muscular.

Personally I think you look lovely, but I understand the want to have the body you WANT to have, and not just be 'satisfied' with it.x
  • ksun10
    ksun10 Posts: 76
    Options
    I am 5'5" as well, and while everyone has different body types, I have NEVER been below 120. Not even my freshman year in high school at my athletic prime (prior to injuries, medications, and weight gain). I feel like if you want to just tone up and are satisfied with the number, start eating at maintenance calorie levels and do weight training.
  • lauren3382
    lauren3382 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I still have some cellulite too at 5'6" and 117, but strength training is a HUGE help. LIFT HEAVY! Don't be afraid to lift heavy...you will NOT get bulky.
  • ramgi
    ramgi Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I think you look perfect. I'll admit I thought you must have been anorexic when you said your height and weight. I'm 5'2" and want to get down to 110lbs.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    You say you are doing strength training, but I guess if you aren't getting the results you want then there's at least one missing piece along the way - either diet is out or the exercises you are doing, or the effort you are applying. Perhaps form could be poor? Not enough rest.

If you haven't read NROLFW then you should.
  • Mdd2nd
    Mdd2nd Posts: 13
    Options
    I think you look good! Just a little FYI men don't really like women to be as skinny as they media/television makes you think. I can speak for all men when I say that there is nothing attractive about ribs and a boney behind.
  • MrsFolk
    MrsFolk Posts: 205
    Options

^ I think you look quite good as you are, but if you want to tone up, I'm thinking hitting the weights might be a better idea than just trying to make the scale go down.

My thoughts exactly.
  • julialla
    julialla Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" as well but weigh around 40 pounds heavier than you...Soooo...You are obviously a lot skinnier than I am, and weigh less, but I'd highly recommend strength training of some sort. I don't look like I weigh as much as I do, even though I still want to drop 15 pounds. Even though you might weigh more if you strength train, you will feel a lot more fit and tone! Good Luck :)
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    You look great, don't sweat it and keep up the lifting. Things take time.
  • LyssMK118
    Options
    i suggest a lot of cardio and a very clean diet for the cellulite. I follow this regimen pretty closely and I don't have any issue with cellulite even though I am your height and weigh fifteen pounds more.
  • ashleeliza
    Options
    I'm 5'7 and reached my goal weight of 112lbs and feel like I would still want to lose another half a stone but am only stopping myself because I know I'm already underweight and my family and friends are telling me that I look it, but to me I don't. I'm hoping toning will sort this out!
  • kris_root_2014
    kris_root_2014 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've heard rubbing coconut oil or lotion into your skin may help with cellulite. Not sure if it is true or not. Might be worth a shot to not get too underweight! :)
  • Mamalea32
    Mamalea32 Posts: 134
    Options
    I can relate. I am 5 ft, 5 in. And 110 pounds and people say i am unhealthy looking. I really love eating healthy and exercizing and i like my appearance. I dont want to lose, but i dont want to gain. Nutrition is a crazy balancing act at times.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    If you are still dissatisfied with how you look, forget the scale. Start lifting heavy weights and build more muscle. Nothing will whittle you down more effectively than weightlifting. You will not get bulky. I had MAD cellulite, and after three months of heavy lifting 3-4 times a week it is completely gone.