What gets harvested in your neck of the woods?

Options
Earlier I enjoyed a tuna sandwich made from home canned tuna harvested from the sea this past summer.It was soooo yummy! (Once you have had fresh tuna.....you cannot stomach the store bought canned kind.) Anyway, my family lives 1 mile from the Pacific Ocean so we have easy access to seafood. This weekend we will dig clams, crab season starts tomorrow. We feel very blessed to have seafood so readily available. I got to thinking...what are the other MFP people enjoying from their area? Please share- (ps...wating for hubs and son to return from hunting.....may also be serving venison if they bring home a buck)

Replies

• hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I grew up in West Texas and we also ate what we hunted and fished, esp deer, rattlesnake, and catfish :tongue:

and don't forget the Sweet Tea :love:
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    peanuts
    cotton
    soybeans
    wheat
    corn
    squash
    potatoes
    sweet potatoes
    watermelon

I could go on and on. I live in the south. The farmers market is open year round and there is always something farm fresh available.
  • klkoehn
    Options
    Iowa food! Home-raised beef and chicke , bluegills/crappies/bass from our pond and all the vegetables I can grow! Squash, tomatoes, cucumbers (dill pickles!), grapes (juice & jelly), apples, potatoes & sweet potatoes, raspberries, strawberries, green beans, spinach, lettuce, beets, green peppers, carrots, onions. Don't forget the wild morel mushrooms in the spring!
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Central Texas here....we have Pecans, although lots of farmers suffered this year with the drought.
    Lots of Cotton, corn, wheat and all kinds of produce!
    Thats the benefit of being a warmer state overall. :happy:
    We have buffalo and Whole Foods is Austin based.

East Texas
    Gilmer has the Yam-boree every year! Sweet potatoes by the truckload!!
    Nacogdoches has the Blueberry Festival in July.
    Henderson has the Syrup festival
    Jacksonville has the Tomato Festival

Texas is just friggin awesome!! Just ask a Texan! We're proud & not afraid to brag!
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Shrimp
    Oysters
    Tomatoes
    Watermelons

and right now,

Collard Greens
    Turnip Greens
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of hunting in WI, but I don't have a family member who hunts. However, in the spring, my girls and I "hunt" wild asparagus and various types of wild berries. We have a farmers market open from spring to fall and get all the fresh produce we can manage. Tomatoes are my first love in summer!
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I'm in central Florida, so of course, we get lots of oranges and other citrus here. Also mangoes, strawberries, some blueberries, potatoes, and tomatoes. Fortunately, in the winter, we get our second (cool-weather) growing season, so soon we'll have lettuces and other greens. There are also quite a few cattle farmers here, though I've yet to sample their grass-fed beef since it's so expensive. But I plan to get some at the next farmer's market as a gift to myself. Yum!

And the local honey is some of the best I've ever had.
  • hockeymom180
    hockeymom180 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Northern Minnesota: deer (om nom nom), grouse (total nom), wild rice, wild blueberries, lake trout, whitefish, maple syrup. Not bad!
  • wcaldwelld
    wcaldwelld Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Northern Minnesota: deer (om nom nom), grouse (total nom), wild rice, wild blueberries, lake trout, whitefish, maple syrup. Not bad!

dont forget the bugs>>>>> lol
  • shanea98
    shanea98 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    This year absolutely nothing since it hasnt rained since April in the Corn belt of Indiana. Look for the price of all corn based products to soar at the grocery store:tongue:
  • andrearaquel48
    andrearaquel48 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I am so lucky that I can get almost anything, minus tropical foods like bananas, mangos, papayas, etc., from local sources. I live in Marin County, just north of San Francisco. We have a big organic and sustainable agriculture community here that grows and harvests not only most fruits and vegetables but also beef and pork, cows milk, sheeps' milk and goats milk and related cheeses, and seafood. This is such an awesome place for people who want to eat local!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I live in central California, one of the top ag producing regions in the country. Love all the fresh produce that is grown here, and love having my own garden where I can grow things year round. What I don't grow myself I can usually find fresh at the local college farm store and various farmers markets. :smile: