Online Colleges....

Options
2»

Replies

• bella_babe_86
    bella_babe_86 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I am starting to find it harder to work full time, raise my 3 year old on my own and go to college.

I have been looking into online colleges and other then being "expensive" i have no other opinion on them. "/

Has anybody else or is anybody else going to an online college?
    Any recommendations?
    Opinions?

Thank you in advance!!

-NettyCakes

My husband goes to a full time university and takes online classes. You should look into this before going to an online school because alot of those schools dont offer certain things that you would get at a physical college. Most schools offer most/all of their curriculum as an online class.
  • jlemoore
    jlemoore Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I work in Clinton, IA- where Ashford is located. I know quite a few people who are doing thier degrees from the school and are pleased. However, just had a conversation with a local HR representative about online schools and about what they are looking at when they hire. Although the degree is good to have, more HRs are looking at face-to-face training instead of the computer based. In other words a degree from a brick and mortar is better than an online degree.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Personally? I think Online Colleges are the worst institution there is. There are people that attend real colleges, class everyday, have families and jobs and work their butt off doing so. Yet someone can get the same exact same degree by screwing around? I've seen what these classes entail, and believe me, it is NOTHING compared to an actual college.

I would like to see how great of an education you actual get from an online school and how it would compare to someone that received a degree from attending a college in person. My guess is that if two people with equal credentials were applying for a job and one had a degree from an online school and the other from attending a college in person, the latter would receive the job.

If you're going to go online, I would suggest picking a school that has a campus. That way, your degree won't be a piece of paper that you basically paid for.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I think it would depend on you are expecting from a degree, and how much you will receive vs how much you must spend.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Personally? I think Online Colleges are the worst institution there is. There are people that attend real colleges, class everyday, have families and jobs and work their butt off doing so. Yet someone can get the same exact same degree by screwing around? I've seen what these classes entail, and believe me, it is NOTHING compared to an actual college.

I would like to see how great of an education you actual get from an online school and how it would compare to someone that received a degree from attending a college in person.

If you're going to go online, I would suggest picking a school that has a campus. That way, your degree won't be a piece of paper that you basically paid for.
    Yeah, there's no "screwing around" at brick-and-mortar schools. :huh:

There are going to be folks that slide by in either format.
  • TxAlpha
    TxAlpha Posts: 180 Member
    Options

I would like to see how great of an education you actual get from an online school and how it would compare to someone that received a degree from attending a college in person.

LOL....well.....those Accounting, Management and Calculas Test (amoungst others) I had to take, at a Prometric location, pretty much validated the fact that I did more than pay for it.......but o.k....
  • ahubacek
    ahubacek Posts: 135
    Options
    There are also "actual" colleges that offer online programs depending on what you're looking for. I'm working on a second degree through Oregon State doing it all online and my degree will be identical to having attended classed on the campus.
  • TxAlpha
    TxAlpha Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Western Governors has a campus here in Texas, Ga, and Utah where the main campus is......they're made of brink too....pretty cool....
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options

I would like to see how great of an education you actual get from an online school and how it would compare to someone that received a degree from attending a college in person. My guess is that if two people with equal credentials were applying for a job and one had a degree from an online school and the other from attending a college in person, the latter would receive the job.

I am a single mom of a 3 year old little boy who works mon-fri 8-5 with family that lives 45min away in another town.
    Daycares (even the college day care) close at 6.
    Therefore I would have NO childcare for my son IF i decided to take campus classes in my town.

I understand normal people did it. I did it when I had a PART time job.
    Its inevitable for me now.
  • moiseskline
    Options
    Online degrees are great for people like you- with family and/or work responsibilities. If you can prioritize well, study on your own and can stay focused in spite of distraction, then an online degree is a great choice for you. Pursue an online degree in a field that is in-demand such as healthcare, business, IT, law etc. I’m reviewing Independence University for a degree in healthcare. Independence University is accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC) recognized by the U.S. Department of Education so I know that the quality of education offered is sound.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_independence_university_accredited/
  • ttate002
    ttate002 Posts: 54
    Options

Have you ever attended an online college? How do you know that people that attend these institutions screw around? Do you work in HR? How can you say that someone who went to a brick and mortar school will be hired over someone who attended an online institution? I have to highly disagree with many points that you made. A lot of people state their opinions without having facts to back it up. I believe that they are great opportunities and until you have personal experience, then you really can't say what they are and what they aren't. Plus, every institution is different. Do your homework and don't be so close minded. You will be pleasantly surprised about this alternative form of education.
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    I am currently working on a doctoral degree in Educational Technology through the University Of Phoenix. I have an undergrad and masters degree from traditional schools. I happen to like the University Of Phoenix. I went into the program thinking that it was going to be easier than a traditional college. The reason I chose this route is b/c USC (University of S. Carolina) and the other college in my city don't offer this degree, plus I don't have time to travel and spend 3-4 nights a week at school and work full time.

However, it is not easy. It is actually more work than a traditional school. I like the small class sizes so that I receive a lot of feedback on my papers- more than I have ever received in my other degrees. It does take more effort and organization on my part to make sure I keep up with the assignments. I have made friends in my classes, the same as I have made friends on this site. The professors are very available and many options for communicating with them.

But, just like with any school it's what you put in it. If you complete the assignments, all the reading, and take it seriously then you will get a great education. If you only do what you have to, in order to pass, then you that's what you will get. My only suggestion is to make sure that you research your field and make sure that the online degree program is accredited in your state and that you determine that you will be able to get hired in your field with this type of online degree. For example, in my state the Dept of Educ does not accept some online degree teaching certificates. So, check it out before getting started.
  • ttate002
    ttate002 Posts: 54
    Options
    I am starting to find it harder to work full time, raise my 3 year old on my own and go to college.

I have been looking into online colleges and other then being "expensive" i have no other opinion on them. "/

Has anybody else or is anybody else going to an online college?
    Any recommendations?
    Opinions?

Thank you in advance!!

-NettyCakes

There are many traditional brick and mortar schools that offer entire degrees online and they do not charge those enormous rates for tuition. For example, my Alma Mater offers Bachelor's degrees in business and psychology, which are entirely online and many Master's degree programs and they don't even charge out of state fees (last time I checked). I completed my Master's degree all online and never had a problem. For my doctorate, I am attending Walden University, and am in the final stages of my research (should be through next year, fingers crossed).

They do get a lot of flack from people who have absolutely no idea on how they work or what the courses entail. I am telling you now, that my experience has not been easy or a breeze in anyway. It is a little different for me because my online degrees were postgraduate and I was mainly writing papers and doing research, but you do have to read. You read a lot! The absence of social interaction didn't matter to me at all. My professors always responded very quickly via e-mail and were helpful, giving back assignments in a timely fashion with feedback. They have office hours so you can definitely call them and talk to them if you are having issues. If you are organized, a self-starter, disciplined, and an independent learner, online learning could be for you.

I work in education and am getting a doctorate in education, so this is my field and my passion. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or anything.
  • ebonyroche
    ebonyroche Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I got my Associates Degree at DeVry University, I loved it. I'm plan on going back for my Bachelors. They are little pricey.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    A degree is not always a degree.... Some colleges and employers will not accept credits or degrees earned via SOME online only schools. You have to read the fine print! Some online only colleges have accreditation issues and credits are not transferable to other brick and mortar institutions or other online schools. The best advice I got when I did my online courses was to find a well known traditional university that also offers online courses. Much fewer odd looks at your resume when there is a well known name listed. Much less expensive too!

A friend of mine got a BA thru a popular online only university, she was told by multiple interviewers that they appreciate the fact that she spent the time and effort to get the degree, but they didn't consider that particular institution as a "real" university....
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Attending GCU and loving it!
  • living_loving_laughing2013
    Options
    Is anyone familiar with Liberty University? I'm interested in their on-line courses but I don't know what they're like.

I'm finishing up my teaching degree at Liberty Online. I chose them honestly because they give huge benefits to the military/vets/spouses. As a spouse there's not many schools willing to help a medically retired/disabled Vet's spouse, but they discount my classes and pay for almost all of my books each semester, which is a huge blessing. I do enjoy the school and can say that I've learned a lot.

Now what I will say is that it is a Christian based school, so whether you're taking English Lit or Education 202, you will have assignments that want you to reference the Blble and quote scripture. I am a Christian, but honestly this annoys me because I don't see how me quoting scripture in a Math assignment is going to be significant to my teaching a Kindergartener how to add. JMHO. I have nine classes left with them and love that they really are there at anytime for assistance. All of my instructors have been just a phone call or email away and I've gotten prompt responses.

Downfall of online schools...
    1. You have to be motivated. If you don't keep up on your work...on your own, you will fall flat on your face.

2. It is expensive, but for adults trying to go to school it's sometimes the best option. I know if I didn't have access to online schools, I'd never have had the time to further my education.

3. Tons and tons of reading, boring reading. If you hate to read...online will NOT be a good idea for you.

4. Participation grades given based on discussion forums, this sucks because you are required to comment on other people's posts/opinions, some of which are not intelligible enough to respond to. You have to be good making something out of nothing.