Not Losing! In fact, gained a pound or two... Why?

Options
After a few years of inactivity, I just started to REALLY track my calories and greatly increased my exercise as of 6/26. I started walking nearly every day, adding more and more jogging each time, and I am also doing 30DS program. I am up to Level One, Day 10 (later today).

I am not losing at all! I am well aware that I'm developing muscle and that weighs more than fat, but wouldn't I still be losing a pound or two after 16 days? I confess I had off days calorie-wise this past weekend, but with the amount of exercise I've been doing, I wouldn't think it would negate any weight loss.

I am 4' 11" and age 44. Being both short and getting older certainly doesn't help my metabolism. I know I eat a few more processed snack foods than perhaps I should, but I am meeting my calorie goals and eating some exercise calories.

I did take my measurements right before I started 30DS. I did a quick check this morning and I think I lost an inch from my waist. However, I will measure again tonight when I have more time (and also to do the measurement at about the same time as my starting measurement - I know that is important when you weigh on the scale - does it matter for measurements? I wasn't planning on taking measurements again so soon, but I checked due to my frustration with no scale movement.

Has anyone had success even though the scale initially showed a gain?

Replies

• prairiewalker
    prairiewalker Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    yes. fluctuation is aggravating but part of it...the worst part is..I'll see an increase and then figure..what's the point and then eat the wrong stuff..and sabotage everything I had accomplished..We need to just stay consistent and hang in there..look less at the scale and focus on body fat percentage and how the clothes are fitting and how you're feeling....
  • bonnie5455
    Options
    I have dieted for years and seemed to only slow down my metabolism. I few years ago (I'm 52) I lost #30+ with a version of the southbeach diet. I cut down on carbs and that seemed to do the trick...and I ate MORE! I hit a plateau a few years back and would still like to lose around 20# but am having great difficulty. My only suggestion is to maybe try cutting back on the carbs. It worked for me when nothing else did.

Best of luck...I know the frustration you must be feeling!
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    It could just be water weight. You don't gain muscle on a calorie deficit unfortunately, you can just work to maintain as much as you can while losing.

Are you measuring your portions correctly? Measuring cups, spoons and a kitchen scale? Are you paying attention to the entries in the database" I've noticed a lot of them are wrong. People input foods from all over the world, they input their recipes which are different most likely than how you'd make something. Don't just eyeball your servings.

Are you drinking enough water? Limiting your sodium? A lot of things could be the cause of a slight gain.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    The "days off" can certainly show up as a weight gain a day or a few days later. It really depends on how much you ate as to whether that extra weight will stick. Consistency is key when trying to lose weight.
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Couple things.

You said it yourself that it has been 16 days right? You just dived right into actually accounting calories in, calories out, made a drastic shift in exercise etc.

16 Days, holy *kitten*.

BE PATIENT.

No you are likely not gaining muscle; IF eating at a caloric surplus as a woman and working with resistance training you have the possibility of maybe gaining 0.25-.5 lbs of muscle a week, maybe. Muscle also does not weigh more than fat, it is more dense. For beginner weight lifters this can come slightly more easily but not in any substantial amount. You do however retain a high amount of water when you exercise, you instigate hormone changes as well.

Don't measure or weigh more than once a week, and jusdt relax and be patient. Again it's been 16 days which is not a substantial amount of time. If you can keep doing what you are doing and be dedicated about it you will see the results you want.
  • Blaineyyy
    Blaineyyy Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    What they said. ^
  • Blaineyyy
    Blaineyyy Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    16 Days, holy *kitten*.

BE PATIENT.

Don't measure or weigh more than once a week, and jusdt relax and be patient. Again it's been 16 days which is not a substantial amount of time. If you can keep doing what you are doing and be dedicated about it you will see the results you want.

Especially these.
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Great advice here so far. I am happy to see people NOT telling you that it is muscle gain. It is likely just water retention, and it will disappear. Then the scale should start to show a loss. I think a lot of people believe that the pounds will drop off magically when they being a healthy diet and exercise regimen, but patience is the key. It didn't come on overnight, and it won't come off overnight. It's just more fun to gain it than it is to lose it. :-p Hang in there, continue doing what you are doing, and you will make steady progress.
  • shesquats
    shesquats Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hi Kelly, We are about the same height and age so I thought I'd check your diary but it's closed. I was in the same boat and unbeknown to me and I know this sounds strange, I wasn't eating enough for the activity that I was doing. Basically your body goes into starvation mode because you're burning more than you're eating. This COULD be one instance but not knowing all the circumstances there could be other factors too. :) Erica
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing it's likely water retention from 30DS. (You're not building muscle). I've seen a lot of posts in the past in particular about 30DS and many people seemed to stay the same weight or gain a bit at first. Then, they would either drop some pounds towards the end (like Level 3) or maybe not drop pounds but they would lose some inches.
  • Krys_140
    Krys_140 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on making the decision to change your lifestyle! That's a big step!!

Since your diary is not open to the public, I can't see if you're eating too little, too much, or just right. Not that I'm an expert, but your caloric intake does have an effect on whether or not you're losing.

If you went from eating 2,500 calories on a daily basis to eating 1,200 daily, AND exercising, "overnight" your body may be compensating for the change by holding onto the weight.

Even so, at this point, your best bet is to be patient, as everyone else here has already said.

Best of luck to you!!
  • becki1815
    becki1815 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I can put on 3 pounds overnight, if it's the right day of the month. Female cycles play a huge part in water retention (bloating).

You mentioned eating processed snacks. Yes - we all do it. It takes additional water to wash out that extra sodium. Without enough water, that adds pounds right there.

Keep at it. This is a marathon, not a sprint.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Couple things.

You said it yourself that it has been 16 days right? You just dived right into actually accounting calories in, calories out, made a drastic shift in exercise etc.

16 Days, holy *kitten*.

BE PATIENT.

No you are likely not gaining muscle; IF eating at a caloric surplus as a woman and working with resistance training you have the possibility of maybe gaining 0.25-.5 lbs of muscle a week, maybe. Muscle also does not weigh more than fat, it is more dense. For beginner weight lifters this can come slightly more easily but not in any substantial amount. You do however retain a high amount of water when you exercise, you instigate hormone changes as well.

THIS. 2 weeks isn't even enough time for the body to adapt to physical training.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I've been at this for a little over 2 weeks now, and I've gained a pound...
  • Susie_Bee
    Susie_Bee Posts: 34
    Options
    A few thoughts...

1. Try to only weigh yourself 1X per week;

2. Try to weigh yourself at the same time of day and wearing the same clothes;

3. If you are losing inches, then you are seeing results and eventually, it will balance out as you are burning more calories to maintain muscle than to maintain fat;

4. Weight on the scale can fluctiuate according to time of month, water retention, etc. It is not necessarily the best indicator of success. Look to how you feel and how your clothes fit as better indicators of success.

5. Exercise is great but 80% of your weight is in your plate! Eat enough protein that you don't feel hungry, try to limit carbs, try to avoid processed foods and sugary snacks and if you have them, have them earlier in the day. Eat plenty of fruit & vegetables if you can. Ideally, your dinner plate should be: 1/2 veggies + 1/4 protein + 1/4 starch

Congratulations and keep up the good work!
  • vicki81868
    vicki81868 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    It's hard to answer this question without seeing your diary. Usually people lose a lot up front and then slow way down. Take another good look at your diary, or even consider opening it up for more concrete input, and I'm sure you'll find your answers.
  • Kelly043
    Kelly043 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I agree with your posts. Just feeling frustrated because a friend I introduced to MFP has already lost 7 pounds while my scale doesn't move. I do feel like my pants are a tad less tight, so there is something. If I drop inches/sizes in the next several months, I won't care what the scale says.

About 10 years ago I was much fitter - I took a kickbox training class 3x a week with the gloves/heavy bags, everything. It was a great workout. Since then I got Graves Disease (thyroid problem) that left me 40 pounds heavier in one year, had infertility procedures, years of starting/stopping good diet/fitness habits. Things are better now - we adopted a baby boy who is now four, and I'm trying to get healthy for both him and myself. I lost 36 pounds from April 2010 - Jan 2011 doing medifast, but I since gained all of it back. This time I am determined to get healthy the right way, with a better lifestyle and new healthier habits.
  • Nelliebird1430
    Options
    Stay away from the scale and just do measurements for a while (month or 2) and keep tracking your calories and exercise. When you first start a new regimen, your body needs time to adjust! Keep up the good work, and remember it’s how you feel and look, not what you weigh! :flowerforyou:
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Couple things.

16 Days, holy *kitten*.

BE PATIENT.

What she said!
  • EveyRose
    EveyRose Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have been through that the last five months I have been on mpf, I go up I go down plateau up down...I bought an orbitape which was suggested to me by my niece who is a physical therapist. It is a one hand tape measure that the body builders use to get the most accurate measurements. I go by my tape measure now instead of the scale, it just depresses me and I obsess about it to much!