Not too sure how I feel about Greek yogurt...

Options

Replies

• saamantha
    saamantha Posts: 74
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of the Yoplait Greek yogurt; try the Chobani or the Liberte. I love plain greek yogurt in so many things. Chicken salad, egg salad, smoothies, pasta sauces!!... If I'm feeling like something awful for me, then I'll use it in place of the eggs/oil in boxed cakes.
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    It took me awhile to get used to the texture. I love it now, and it's the only yogurt I eat. I would suggest buying it plain and adding your own toppings. Chobani has been my favorite brand. I hated Okios. I haven't tried Fage yet.

I find it best plain with a packet of sweetener, with honey, with strawberries and almonds, or whatever other topping you like!
  • Chillyw
    Chillyw Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I eat chobani yogurt for breakfast most days of the week.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I love the Chobani brand - raspberry, pineapple, mango, pomegranate, blueberry...all very good. Their vanilla is nasty though! Greek yogurt has more than twice the amount of protein than regular yogurts...you can't beat that!
  • wolfi622
    wolfi622 Posts: 206
    Options
    I'm a fan. Generally eat the Dannon Oikos brand with fruit on the bottom. The plain works really well for mixing in your favorite Whey powder or including as an ingredient of a Fritata/Quiche.
  • Louise12
    Louise12 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I wasnt a huge fan at first but i wanted a snack that wasnt just carbs and had a good balance .. I now eat Fage 0% and it comes with honey or blueberry to stir in ... its good and very filling :)
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I liked the oikos lime one back when I ate yogurt.
  • Casey1982
    Casey1982 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    There is something very "drying" about it on the tongue. For that reason, I can't have it for breakfast with my coffee - too many things drying me out! LOL :smile:

But I do prefer it with some flavor - I've been eating the Whole Foods brand that comes with a fruit puree to mix in. It's got some sugar, but the overal calories aren't bad for all that protein!
  • QueenOfShiba
    QueenOfShiba Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I tried them all, and the only one I really like is Oikos lime, with a handful of almonds added to it. I pretend it's key lime pie :)
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    I really like Chobani with a 1/4 cup of granola in it, and I've found that the Fage with fruit is yummy and has a great texture without anything else in it. It does take a bit of adjusting to, with being thicker than usual yogurt, but it works so great when I'm in a sweet mood. Yum!
  • kaylurzz
    kaylurzz Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Okios is my favorite! I usually buy the ones that have honey at the bottom. Makes for a nice little treat so I don't eat ice cream :laugh:
  • Jcorkovic
    Jcorkovic Posts: 1
    Options
    Oikos - Greek yogurt w/ honey is to die for!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I pretty much exclusively eat the plain.

For breakfast with fruit and/or granola and maybe some nuts. For dessert with fruit or jam.

I've been eating it for a while now, (like 8 years). At the beginning I found it tart, but I loved the texture. I'd eat it with fruit and some sweetener (honey, agave, sugar, maple, stevia....all depending on the phase). 2% and/or lowfat is less tart than nonfat. And not all brands are created equal: Fage (any fat level), Chobani 2%, Trader Joes 2%, Voskos nonfat, and Wallaby are my favorites. The rest aren't that good. Some aren't even true greek yogurts and add thickeners.

I eat it because it is way higher in protein, and more filling than regular yogurt. Now I find any regular yogurt too sweet. And the flavored greeks are way too sweet for me as well.

Also, greek is great for savory applications. And panna cotta.

Mix a couple of tablespoons with some honey and dip your fruit in it, or use it like whipped cream.
  • Mickey2u
    Mickey2u Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Chobani Black Cherry is my fav. I haven't had it in a few weeks tho.
  • HaleyxErin
    HaleyxErin Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Fage especially the cherry one I don't know any nutrition info on it but I love! I also like the plain with a little 25% less sugar nesquick weird but really good
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I never really liked yogurt but I wanted to start eating greek yogurt because it's something I can easily eat once I get to work. I tried a bunch of different kinds and i like Chobani blueberry the best. It's 14 grams of protein. Chobani other flavors are pretty good also. I also like it because it's the only yogurt i've found that says "only natural ingredients".

here are the nutrition facts:
    cal: 140g
    fat: 0g
    Carbs: 20g
    Protein: 14g
    Sugar: 20g

Same here - Chobani is my favorite because I like the taste/texture and it's more natural than the Oikos & Yoplait versions. I've been doing the fruit on the bottom flavors for a while but a friend clued me in that the vanilla was lower in calories (120) has a bit more protein (16g) and less sugar (13g) so I've been getting that and adding 1/2 of fresh blueberries. To me it tastes even better than the blueberry flavored one and is much better for me.

Tried plain and was totally turned off! Might try mixing it with pudding or jello as someone suggested on here a week or so ago.
  • bunnylvr
    bunnylvr Posts: 78
    Options
    I hate it. I think it's disgusting, especially the texture. I took one small bite then through the rest of it in the trash.
  • Natalia333
    Natalia333 Posts: 12
    Options
    I love Greek Gods greek yogurt! I add some cinnamon and strawberrry / blue berries or both! (if you cut them up an mix with the yogurt the night before it pulls out more flavor) i also use it for apple dip, but it does take a little getting used to!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I only buy whole fat Greek Yogurt, so Fage Total (whole fat). Its closer to whipped cream because its extremely thick and creamy (not as sour).

My favorite use of Greek Yogurt is Banana Cinnamon Bread Pudding:
    1/2 serving Fage Total (whole fat)
    1/2 scoop CinnaBun protein powder
    1/2 banana sliced
    1/2 Ozery Morning Bun Cinnamon Raisin
    1/4 cup walnuts or hazelnuts
    1/8 tspn Saigon Cinnamon
  • Trutra
    Trutra Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I dont like it plain, but do use it for smoothies. I also use it to make a low-fat replacement sauce for lasagne or moussaka.

1 egg to a cup or a bit more of low fat greek yoghurt, beat it together. Pour over food sprinkle low fat cheese on top and bake. Yummy!